Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Least Horriblest ceiling fans; Update

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

I have spent a few months mulling over ceiling fan options for the Maine house (original post below if it helps anyone on a similar quest).

Many people whose advice i respect recommended very modern, simple fans. I just couldn't do it; they are not my thing and I don't mind a fan that announces itself, especially in a 1902 coastal summer home.

I do not know how often they will be used; we put in a/c on the third floor when we added space up there; and the contractor said it'd be silly not to put it on the second floor too, as it'd pass right through.

So, here are my choices. I have not chosen for the verandah yet; waiting to see if we need them this summer.

For our MBR: (from Woolen Mill Fan Co., made to order)

For the girls attic suite: a little goofy but the "girliest" I could find

For my son's BR: in galvanized steel w mahogany blades

For the two guest bedrooms: ( I wanted something very classic, with the all-important 4 blade config, not 5)

NOTE; One interesting thing i learned, and even read part of a very dry paper on, was that the number of blades does not improve air flow. In fact, most older fans had fewer blades than those sold today. In particular, the 5-blade fan is a "modern" abomination designed to appeal to consumers who assumed it meant more airflow.

Funny, I could not put my finger on why 5 blades looked wrong for the setting until i read that!

Here is a link that might be useful: More ideas for ceiling fans

Comments (28)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I definitely like the first one best. Simple, yet stylish. Blade pitch is what matters, re: airflow. Also, make sure the fan is spinning the correct way if it's a winter/summer fan.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 15:54

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Have the girls nullified the Bohemian look or will this work with what you have all chosen for their quarters?

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I like your choices and I think you made good choices finding fans that are more old-fashioned and fit in with your 1902 home. I know people hate them, but I couldnt live without them on our second floor.....function trumps looks/trends for me when it comes to ceiling fans. We also put in attic fans which help a lot, but we still use the ceiling fan with the A/C all summer.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Without ceiling fans, would a beachy house c. 1900 be true to itself.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, It's my fave too (that's why I put it in our MBR), but it was close to $1500. By contrast, the last one pictured, tried and true, were $250. I think I could have found them cheaper if I would have settled on 5 blade.

Patricia, Oh yeah we are BOHO all the way, with some new goodies we found in NOLA too. Consider the fan French Boho.

Thanks, Joanie.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Interesting about the blades! I think ours have 5; they came with the house. I see your point about 4.

I don't think ceiling fans are ugly. My ugly can lights are another story, but they were a necessary evil.

• jackson2348
    10 years ago

I laugh every time I think of the girl on trading spaces who went on and on about horrible ceiling fans. She was from Jackson, Mississippi and there is no way she lived here without ceiling fans.

I like your choices; the one for your master is awesome.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

$1500! Egads! For that, gorgeous men in loin cloths better pop out of it and fan you personally!

• sas95
    10 years ago

I love that first fan. I'm another one who never saw the horribleness of ceiling fans in general, though there sure are a lot of ugly ones out there.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix,

I think DH might object to that. I can just hear him now, "One loin-clothed stud at a time, please!"

To be honest, I wanted to buy 5 of them! But I threw in the last two to dollar-cost-average.

I just love the Woolen Mill fans. I put a link below for anyone else who wants to blow some bucks (ha ha ha). I wanted true vintage, as I think RuthieOK (?) suggested, but that vendor was not very responsive.

Here is a link that might be useful: super cool period fans

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I have always loved ceiling fans. Tib, if you think that one bad, I found some fans by googling fans c.1900 that were 5 figures without any periods. I had second thoughts about suggesting those. ;-)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Patricia, for not showing me those. I need to conserve cash to hire the glass artist to custom tile my shuffleboard court.

• crl_
    10 years ago

As long as you are doing the shuffle board court, I think you should add a four square court and hopscotch. :). Like the fans, most especially the first one and the one for your ds's room (that one looks like it could be fun in a lot of different settings).

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

And to think I outfitted my house with table fans from the 1970s and '80s! Lol. However, I LOVE those fans.

Mtn, I made a tetherball for my place. Bought a flag pole from a fencing company and they drilled the hole at the top for me. Bought an eye hook, tetherball and voila! Endless fun.

I suppose it's when DH doesn't care that gorgeous men in loin cloths are popping out of your ceiling fans to fan you with huge manual fans that you have to start worrying.

• lynn_r_ct
    10 years ago

mtnredux, Did Cleopatra have only one loin clothed stud??? Well of course she did, and you are just as deserving as she.

I am not a fan of fans (just personal choice) but rewarded my hubby for all the work he did on our addition. Painted a medallion to match the fan to add more visual interest, but I never liked the light that came with it. I really like the light on the second one down. Can you share where the fan is from? TYIA

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, Lynn

The second one, and the third (which also comes in copper!), are from PeriodArts. I've linked them below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nice looking period fans, not terrible prices

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Mtn...if you plan to use the shuffleboard court doesn't it have to be smooth? Won't grout lines impede the movement of the puck?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joanie, I've not thought it through, because I am only kidding (maybe Pal can explain). I've learned that we want to stain it with dark green, then apply a white stain with a stencil. Lastly, you wax it. Who knew?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix,

I do like table fans, esp old ones! Cute idea with the tetherball.

Crl,
    The shuffleboard court is there, it just needs paint/stain.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

"Crl,
    The shuffleboard court is there, it just needs paint/stain."

And gentle ladies in bustles and long dresses carrying parasols and gentlemen in suits and hats and smoking pipes.

• crl_
    10 years ago

Oh yes, but you should add the other game courts. :)

• suero
    10 years ago

Who knew that the U.S. Army has military standards for shuffleboard?

Here is a link that might be useful: Shuffleboard court layout with marking details.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Beautiful fan choices, Mtn. I especially love the ones you chose for your main bedrooms. The one with 2 blades will be enormously efficient and move a lot of air. The one for your girls is so interesting and I can just see it already in their cool room. I can't remember how you're doing your boy's room but that fan just looks masculine. I don't know if you knew this, but the fewer number of blades, the less drag and more air movement.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Outside, I haven't given any though to my son's room (I'm sure he hasn't either!), but when chosing a fan I was drawn to that one for him. Yes, I did read that about fans. If it weren't for the price, id have bought 5 of the first fan.

Thanks, Tina. Yes., i agree, 3 or 5 or 7 looks best in most things. My first choice would be 3, but i saw none of those at all! To me the 5 now looks like a flower!

Suero, Then we shall, by all means, abide by them!

Crl, GW is often responsible for my project creep! But the shuffleboard is there so we are just rehabbing it.

Tibb, Lucky, I am self-bustled!

• mushcreek
    10 years ago

We have a 1906 Westinghouse that we bought for $80 at an auction! It runs OK, but I'm thinking of having the motor rebuilt for safety. I never thought about it, but it is 4 blades- and it weighs a ton.

I need 5 more fans for the new house I am building, but they need to be low-budget; there's not much money left at this point!

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Mush, check out this site to determine the best bang for your buck. There are graphs too!

Here is a link that might be useful: hansen

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Speaking of shuffleboard and the military. There was a time when all young men of refinement served their country, attended military schools while daughters stayed home with mother and learned to play piano, waltz and dress well so that she would be asked to the most elite military balls by the finest gentleman and she must know how to wear white gloves, good hats and have party manners. Remember Scarlett and Rhett, my dear.