Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missyv_gw

Exterior Home Help!

MIssyV
10 years ago

We are looking to do some landscaping this summer on the front side of our home, and would love some input on our exterior!
1. Suggestions on what to do with the cut out area below each window (currently painted green with a white trim box).

2. Shutter help. The current shutters are long and wondering if new, shorter shutters (in a new color) would be better.

Everything about our house looks looonng to me. The house itself has a long street front, and the window dressing all look long - shutters long and the front door side panels also add to that long look similar to shutters. Make sense?!

Thanks gang!

Comments (12)

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Full view of the house. This was my grandma's house that we purchased about 11 years ago, and finally ready to do some updating to the exterior!

• awm03
    10 years ago

Oh I love long, elegant ranch houses. It's an asset, not a detraction. The panels below the windows are supposed to add length to otherwise squat windows. Traditionally, they're painted white. You could go with the classic color scheme of white trim, black shutters & red door easily and would set off your pretty brick.

I've pasted in (rather badly) a more elaborate landscaping just to show how it pulls the eye forward and makes the house seem less of a rectangle plunked down on a lot. Better landscaping would soften the lines and add depth.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I really like AWM's suggestion of black, white, and red. It looks crisp.

The only problem is that it doesn't match the dog, but you could always paint an interior room BM Weimaraner.

• teacats
    10 years ago

awm03: Outstanding virtual!!!! :) The Power of Paint! :)

Love this house -- and the dog is so wonderful!!! :)

nosoccermom: LOL!!!! :) Also an excellent choice for the shutters and under-window-trim!! But I still love the idea of a red door and those white sidelight windows! :)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

No, no, the red, white, and black is perfect. Get him/her a coordinating collar.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Yes to the red door and black shutters! Your home is lovely and I really like what awm did with it in regards to landscaping. Beautiful pupster!

• msrose
    10 years ago

Another vote for black, white, and red! It's one of my favorite looks. Wish I had a red brick house.

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! I see you all love Mr. Wilson :) He is a year and a half old, which for Weim people = WORK!

A few thoughts in response to your suggestions....

1. I love the landscaping suggestion, but we have a ton of yard out back with landscaping, and frankly, in this stage of my life with three kids on the go, I cannot add more yard work! I love the curved walkway, its beautiful in the pic! I am going to change the flower beds across the front, but not as significant as what is pictured. Maybe that can be our future plan!
    2. You can see in the first pic our brick has green on it. So I was leaning towards a putty gray type of color, that has a green undertone to it but doesn't read green shutters. So black was interesting to see!

Thanks all!

• bpath
    10 years ago

Ya know, once you get that landscaping in, it's less work than lawn! Imagine, you could put in clumps of daffodils, then day lilies, and never have to mow, just cut stuff down in November, or include ornamental grasses you leave up till March.

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello fine GW folks. I have some landscape plans laid out, still pondering exterior colors. Hoping to pick up some colors this week to bring home and look at against our brick, which does have some green tones to it.

What color black and red would would you suggest? Any other colors worth grabbing while out?

You know whats funny? We have a full brick fireplace in our family room, floor to ceiling, and I painted the mantle black about 6 years ago and NEVER dawned on me to consider using it outside on the same brick... DUH! The same brick is also a part of our sunroom because the sunroom was added on after the home was built. So, lucky me, I have a brick interior wall to work with! I am however leaning more towards a blue/gray shade for that room. It will look beautiful I think with the brick.

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    9 years ago

what about SW Tricorn Black # 6258 - Sherwin Williams Resilience Exterior Acrylic Latex Satin

• awm03
    9 years ago

Tricorn black is a great soft black. Good choice!