Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

What to use for type 'S' fabric upholstery?

jockewing
13 years ago

I have a couple of pieces of furniture upholstered in velvet with the "S" - or solvent only - cleaning code. I know you are not supposed to use water to clean off stains, but I'm not sure what or where to buy the correct product. I looked at one of those foam type cleaners and it specifically said not for use on S-type fabrics.

I think the proper thing to use is some type of dry cleaning solvent, but I don't know where to get this. Is "Spot Shot" safe? It seems to smell like a dry cleaning solvent to me. One web site mentioned you can use lighter fluid in a pinch!!!!

Comments (6)

• mykingcomforter
    13 years ago

Restoration hardware has so many unique cleaning items, I would start their first. You could also call your local dry cleaners and see if they have any ideas. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: MyFavoriteBedding

• kathleenca
    13 years ago

Hi Jockewing,

I found the information following on the eHow.com site. An option not mentioned below is spot remover from a carpet cleaning company. I have some from Chem-Dry, which says it can be used on upholstery also, after testing it in a hidden area. (BTW, I still have a half-bottle of Aero Spot Remover, which is trichloroethylene, but I'm keeping it. LOL)

How to Purchase Dry Cleaning Solvent for Upholstery Cleaning

1. Upholstery, such as the fabric used on couches, loveseats, chairs and recliners, can be tricky when it comes to removing stains, residue or marks on the fabric surface. Always blot up any stains or liquids as soon as possible with a clean, soft cloth. Further cleaning can be done with dry cleaning solvent, especially if the fabric tag has a cleaning code of "S", indicating that dry cleaning solvent is the best way to remove stains. There are a number of places to purchase the solvent.

Stop by your local furniture retailer, particularly the retailer where the upholstery was purchased, if possible. Ask if they sell dry cleaning solvent that will remove stains from upholstery.

2. Look at hardware or home repair stores for dry cleaning solvent in the cleaning supply section of the store.

3. Visit local dry cleaning shops and ask if they sell the solvent. Explain the type of upholstery you are attempting to clean and ask if they have any additional stain-removal tips.

4. Purchase dry cleaning solvent online. In the search engine field, type "upholstery safe dry cleaning solvent" to view online retailers that sell dry cleaning solvent appropriate for use on upholstery.

Water-free solvents are typically the best type of dry cleaning solvent for cleaning upholstery. Dab a small amount of the dry cleaning solvent onto the stain and blot gently until the stain is gone.

Perform a test on an inconspicuous area of the upholstery with the dry cleaning solvent to check for staining or other discoloration before removing stains.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Purchase Dry Cleaning Solvent

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    13 years ago

I have a sofa & loveseat that looks like velvet and couldn't find any info on how to clean it. I happened upon Folex at Kmart and took a chance on it. I sprayed some on a white rag and barely touched the upholstery just to see what would happen. Well the only thing that happened is that it came clean! I ended up doing both pieces with it.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

I also got a little jar of the stuff from my carpet guy.

• A D
    3 years ago

I just read up on Folex and it is water based - not a dry cleaning solvent