Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

What to use for type 'S' fabric upholstery?

Posted by jockewing (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 15:21

I have a couple of pieces of furniture upholstered in velvet with the "S" - or solvent only - cleaning code. I know you are not supposed to use water to clean off stains, but I'm not sure what or where to buy the correct product. I looked at one of those foam type cleaners and it specifically said not for use on S-type fabrics.

I think the proper thing to use is some type of dry cleaning solvent, but I don't know where to get this. Is "Spot Shot" safe? It seems to smell like a dry cleaning solvent to me. One web site mentioned you can use lighter fluid in a pinch!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: What to use for type 'S' fabric upholstery?

Restoration hardware has so many unique cleaning items, I would start their first. You could also call your local dry cleaners and see if they have any ideas. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: MyFavoriteBedding

RE: What to use for type 'S' fabric upholstery?

Hi Jockewing,

I found the information following on the site. An option not mentioned below is spot remover from a carpet cleaning company. I have some from Chem-Dry, which says it can be used on upholstery also, after testing it in a hidden area. (BTW, I still have a half-bottle of Aero Spot Remover, which is trichloroethylene, but I'm keeping it. LOL)

How to Purchase Dry Cleaning Solvent for Upholstery Cleaning

1. Upholstery, such as the fabric used on couches, loveseats, chairs and recliners, can be tricky when it comes to removing stains, residue or marks on the fabric surface. Always blot up any stains or liquids as soon as possible with a clean, soft cloth. Further cleaning can be done with dry cleaning solvent, especially if the fabric tag has a cleaning code of "S", indicating that dry cleaning solvent is the best way to remove stains. There are a number of places to purchase the solvent.

Stop by your local furniture retailer, particularly the retailer where the upholstery was purchased, if possible. Ask if they sell dry cleaning solvent that will remove stains from upholstery.

2. Look at hardware or home repair stores for dry cleaning solvent in the cleaning supply section of the store.

3. Visit local dry cleaning shops and ask if they sell the solvent. Explain the type of upholstery you are attempting to clean and ask if they have any additional stain-removal tips.

4. Purchase dry cleaning solvent online. In the search engine field, type "upholstery safe dry cleaning solvent" to view online retailers that sell dry cleaning solvent appropriate for use on upholstery.

Water-free solvents are typically the best type of dry cleaning solvent for cleaning upholstery. Dab a small amount of the dry cleaning solvent onto the stain and blot gently until the stain is gone.

Perform a test on an inconspicuous area of the upholstery with the dry cleaning solvent to check for staining or other discoloration before removing stains.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Purchase Dry Cleaning Solvent

RE: What to use for type 'S' fabric upholstery?

Here's a place to buy it online

Here is a link that might be useful: Guardsman

RE: What to use for type 'S' fabric upholstery?

Hey mykingcomforter.....Although those comforters are lovely..
Your shopping at the wrong place.
Most of the sets are available on Ebay or Amazon for $40-$50 less.Some sites have them up to 1/2 off .
You ought to spend more time shopping around..
And less time "appearing" so spammerish.
You might have good points ,yet they are dismissed when you attach a link that appears to be self serving.

RE: What to use for type 'S' fabric upholstery?

I have a sofa & loveseat that looks like velvet and couldn't find any info on how to clean it. I happened upon Folex at Kmart and took a chance on it. I sprayed some on a white rag and barely touched the upholstery just to see what would happen. Well the only thing that happened is that it came clean! I ended up doing both pieces with it.

RE: What to use for type 'S' fabric upholstery?

I also got a little jar of the stuff from my carpet guy.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here