Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maddybeagle

Persimmon/coral paint quest

maddybeagle
12 years ago

Dear Decoristi, please help me find the perfect coraly-persimmonish paint color for my bathroom! For some reason, I'd selected

, but it's too pink and too light. I was thinking more of something like the color used in this room, which I see used Martha Stewart's Persimmon color. I tried that precise paint in my old house and was unsatisfied with the quality; I could have the color matched, but I wonder if the perfect coral paint is out there in a good paint line and I just haven't spotted it yet.

FYI, the fabric I bought for the shower curtain and roman blind is this one, and I was hoping to pick up the darker coral tone that's in it:

Thanks!

Carin

Comments (15)

• beth4
    12 years ago

You might check out Ellen Kennon's "Shrimp"....I used it in my bedroom, really like it, and have received a ton of compliments on it. Both the ceiling and the walls were painted Shrimp, and the painter applied at least 2, and maybe 3 coats of paint. Nearly 6 years later, I still love this color and the way it changes throughout the day as the daylight changes. And, I'm very pleased with the way EK's paints have held up in the 6 years since they were applied (I used only EK paints throughout my entire home).

EK designs her own colors, and they're all full spectrum paints. You can check out her paints and the Shrimp color on her website, and order a small amount of paint so you can see how it looks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ellen Kennon's Paints

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

I just pulled a coral color this week for a project. I'm in love with this paint chip. Dying to see it up. Hoping it flies.

It's from Pratt & Lambert and it's called Corinthian #4-9. Just FYI the rest of the palette I have working is Beeswax 11-6, Fresh Cream 11-5 and Sudan 12-20. It's sooo pretty. :)

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I will check all of those out. Strangely, P&L is only sold at one local store, so I need to plan an expedition; it used to be my go-to paint in the places I've lived before.

I also stopped by Sherwin-Williams today and picked up a chip of their Ardent Coral, which may be lighter than I want, but seems to strike the right mix of orange and pink. Corals are tricky!

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

I have a color for you, I think. Used to have it in our bathroom. It was a Benjamin Moore color: I think it was either Wild Flower (2090-40) or Tomato Cream Sauce (2089-40).

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Re: Pratt & Lambert. They've kind of shrunk into select independent paint stores -- kind of. For various reasons but what's great about that (for me) is it makes P&L more exclusive. And it's a lovely palette especially when you consider the Williamsburg collection that is also offered along with the main palette.

Unlike Benjamin Moore which is overexposed, overrated, and overused IMO -- guess I'm just feeling a lil 'over' BenM at the moment. Their color collections and the brand strikes me as all used up and tired.

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

fc...did you get my email..I sent the wood and paint info...sorry to hijack ! c

• loribee
    12 years ago

Beth...can we pleeeeeeease see your room painted in shrimp? It sounds lovely! Thanks~

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sueb20, I like those but for this room, I'm going for something more orange and less on the rose side, I think. Funcolors, re P&L - funny, my experience was they were in 1 or 2 excellent independents in both Cleveland and Toronto when I lived there, but here in DC they're in only one hardware store - a nice one, but seems odd. Anyway, that hardware store can be combined with an expedition to Restoration Hardware, so I'm not complaining :-)

Beth, I second the request for a picture of your Shrimp room!

• lakeaffect
    12 years ago

carinr-

Consider BM Aura Moroccan Spice or BM Fire Dance, they both pull orange vs. rose. In C2 maybe Red Stiletto, Vroom or Persimmon (the actual color name), Nevada or Turkish Market. C2 has some really vibrant and saturated colors in the red/orange family IMO. Also, it's a longshot, but FPOE's Susan Sargent line has a really vibrant red/pink/orange called Geranium, her colors are highly saturated and on the fandeck, are so vibrant they almost glow.

Regarding P&L, our local hardware/home improvement store used to carry P&L, and switched to BM in December. Of course, ahem, I know the paint dept manager (or should I say she knows me) and she said they switched not because people didn't like the paint, but because P&L refused to send a sales rep way up to NNY, they didn't get the paint chips replenished in time, they didn't send paint in a timely manner, etc., etc. It sounded to me like P&L is having leadership or financial difficulties, but who knows. I agree with funcolors that they have a very nice palette of colors, my cousin uses their paint exclusively and it looks good up on the walls and cabs.

sandyponder

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sandyponder, thanks. Both C2 and FPOE are carried by my local BM dealer (which also has BM's new full-spectrum line) but I haven't really checked out the offerings, so I will put them on my list.

• debbiedoes
    12 years ago

Ellen's Coral color is also a good one. There are photos at the bottom of this page of her website:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ellen Kennon's Photos & Reviews Pg. 2

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Aha! I think I've got it: I brought home a sample quart of P&L 4-10, Chinese Orange, and the first coat of the sample is trying now. It's not significantly less pink than BM Coral Gables, but it's about two shades deeper and a really intense, happy color. Here's the P&L color visualizer version.

(I couldn't get the silly thing to change the color of the trim and accessories, but this will give you the general idea. I will be using BM Simply White trim.)

• beth4
    12 years ago

Here's a tour of my bedroom, with its EK Shrimp walls and ceiling. You'll notice that the color changes a bit as the light changes. For example Photo 2 & 3 look different because on one I focused on the ceiling, and the other at the wall...so the light changes the color. Note: It is not as radical a contrast in person as it is in the photo!!

Also, I realize that computer monitors can change the appearance of the color. In the flesh, Shrimp really is the color of that coral in a shrimp. I've always loved coral, and this is a softer version of coral than EK's "Coral".

I wasn't sure how large to size these, so hope these are large enough to give you a good idea. If not, let me know and I'll size them larger.

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beth4, lovely room! I really like the greenish accents in the bedding and lamps. As you'll see in the sample I posted, I'm going for something deeper and stronger, but I'll keep this in mind for a future project.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Beth~~~ I LOVE it! Thanks for sharing!

Carin~~~ Can't wait to see your room, happy you found the perfect color.

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions