Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!!! Rug Style With New Furniture?

Posted by building_a_house (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 15:14

Just purchased new furniture as you can see in the picture. The blue 8x11 foot rug seen below is going to be moved to a new room.

Looking for a 9x12 rug that you think would work in this room with the color of the couches and ottoman but especially with the pattern on the chair.

What patterns or colors would work? Wouldn't work? This decision is driving us crazy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!!! Rug Style With New Furniture?

I'd get the biggest rug you can, i.e.: 10X14

Dash and Albert Verona Ink - wool

Here is a link that might be useful: Verona Ink rug

o

Nevermind. Shows the same pic. Look at the second pic on the site.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 15:28

o

Congratulations on the new furniture!

I think your dark ottoman and leather will get lost on top of a darker rug. I recommend a lighter, natural fiber rug, such as seagrass, which would complement the chair fabric and let the other pieces stand on their own.

Your family may not like the feel of seagrass, though, so perhaps another lighter, neutral pattern. Pottery Barn has a number of rugs that incorporate/complement navy and brown, but whose pattern are subtle. That may be a good place to start.

o

I'd go for a tribal rug.

o

Great suggestions so far!

What do you think about this rug...

http://www.westelm.com/m/products/vines-wool-rug-t985/

o

I don't think I'd go with a white rug, esp. if you have young children.

One of the things I liked about the Dash and Albert was its ability to hide mars and stains.

Suero's would be better than your white rug, not quite as good as the D&A.

Suero, can you put the D&A underneath her stuff? Sorry. I know I always ask you to do this! Curious, though.

o

Couple more.
Dynamak blue rug

http://www.wayfair.com/Dynamic-Rugs-Dynamak-Blue-Rug-3014-500-DY4100.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Couristan Palladino Steel blue Genoa Rug

o

With Dash and Albert rug

o

Ooooh, I LIKE that Dash and Albert rug there!

Pretty expensive, though.

Thanks Suero!

o

Suero can you please put the rug I posted under there for comparison? Thanks!

o

I would take advantage of that wonderful natural light in your room and buy a colorful blue and yellow traditional style rug. Other colors would be in the rug of course, but yellow and blue is a great combination.

o

I think that, whatever rug you choose, because of the size and open style of the room, you want a rug that is big enough for the entire seating area to sit on, and even extends at least a foot beyond the seating.

o

Here are some suggestions. They're all from Overstock.

o

What are your thoughts on this one...

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-tufted-Orosius-Blue-Wool-Area-Rug-96-x-136/6286750/product.html

o

love that one, but I think the blue on your chair and pillows clashes with the blue in the rug. Blues are tough.
A similar rug with no blue in it would work, though. Is there one in that design that is mostly browns and tans, for example?

o

Thanks again for the advice. What about these options...

o

Or this one...

o

One more that we found...

o

My faves so far are the tribal posted by Suero and the last two you posted (if the blues are similar). Beautiful!

o

Thanks for the feedback! Any other opinions?

Any chance we could get those Photoshoped in to see what they look like?

o

I think the yellow one would look good in your space there.

the last one is very pretty, but again, I think the blue in that rug would clash with the chair. Suggestion: when you find a rug you like, put it in a second window in your computer, then put the two windows together so you can see the rug next to the pic of your room. That way you can get an idea as to how the colors go together.

o

Bear with me. I'm going to put up six rugs from Capel I think would look nice there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kaimuri rug

o

Perisan Trace

Here is a link that might be useful: Persian Trace

o

Hampton in Flagstone.

this is actually the rug I have in my bedroom, and I can tell you it is a beautiful rug, WAY nicer than it looks in the pic. I did have them bind it, though, because the fringe on one end was so weird and ugly, so it is bound a la a sisal rug. I'd be happy to take a pic of mine if you like, because the pic on their site really does not do this rug justice at all. I only got it because I walked into a store. The second I saw it, I knew it was the rug. Had I seen it online, I wouldn't have given it a second glance.

Goes to show…

I

Here is a link that might be useful: Hampton Flagstone

o

Filigree

Here is a link that might be useful: Filigree

o

Ethereal

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethereal

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 9:30

o

Another option, esp. if you go very large, is to buy carpet off the roll and have it bound.

o

Hampton Flagstone, up close and personal.

o

Longer view

o

I love the Orosius-Blue rug you posted above. Tib, I don't think it will clash because it's in the same color family and will be a two-tone.

Although my vote is still for a yellow background with blue and other colors in it.

I meant to say Oriental in my above post instead of traditional. There's a lot of square angles in the furniture & an oriental will soften up the room. If that's what the poster wants.

I'm just jealous of the bright light so I think adding some pastels would be delicious!

o

It's hard to tell on computer screens. I put the pic of her room in one window and the Orosius-Blue in another and put them next to each other and they really clashed. I agree that that rug is really beautiful, though. I also think going traditional and conservative with rugs is usually a good idea, since you don't want to replace them frequently and those designs will stay. But that is just my personal opinion and belief. Also doesn't help that I am so not a fan of contemporary!

o

A reviewer who commented on the Orosius color on Overstock said -

'How did the color on site compare with the actual product?'

'The photo of the whole rug is more accurate than the photo of the partial rug lying down. It is not so light bluish, more of a gray/green blue calm color.'

But differing monitors mean that we'll never see it's true colors til it's in hand. On my better, large monitor, it looks good beside the picture of the room above.

photo Orug_zps421135bd.jpg

o

That Osirus rug is beautiful. If the colors work, definitely one to consider seriously, I think. That blue is very different in the second pic than in the first, much grayer.

o

Jaipur

o

jaipur another pattern

Here is a link that might be useful: Jaipur yellow

o

My favs are the tribal that Suero posted and the Couristan that Tib posted. The tribal rug really brightens up your whole room

o

Jaipur Maroc

Here is a link that might be useful: Maroc

o

Jaipur Poeme

Here is a link that might be useful: Poeme

o

The West Elm rug:

o

Blue chains ( I think it looks too busy with the chair)
 photo lrwithchainrug.jpg

Yellow (I prefer it to the blue)
 photo lrwithyellowrug.jpg

o

Needs a little punch, IMO.

Suero, can you try it with the Poeme, Maroc, and "Jaipur Yellow" (link, not pic)?

o

building_a_house - Can you tell me where you found the one posted on Apr 8, 14 at 23:14?

o

I sure can. Here you go...

http://www.rugstudio.com/american-rug-craftsmen-serenity-sentiment-butter-pecan-area-rug.aspx?ref=frg&gclid=CP_u1ZHc1L0CFQ5gMgodJiMA2A

Thanks again for all the advice. Keep it coming please.

o

Tried my hand at a little photoshop. Bear with me. What do you all think?

o

Another one of the options...

o

I think we're getting somewhere. Also like this one...

o

Don't skimp on size, that space and furniture can easily handle a 10 x 14.

If you moved to a smaller house in the future you can always have a too large rug cut and shortened, but you can't enlarge a rug that is too small!

o

I'm sorry I can't make these as nice as suero does, but here are a few ideas from overstock.com. Good luck with this. I understand how hard making this decision is. I've been looking for rugs for myself as well.

o

Another one--just seagrass bound in blue.

o

Next one with lighter background.

o

More yet....maybe a bit busy.

o

another one...

o

and the last one... These are all at overstock. I just selected your size range, and blue or brown. I've only purchased wool ones so don't know about the quality of any of these--just looking at patterns. I've found that overstock does have a good return policy if the rugs aren't as advertised or you're unhappy, they've always been willing to pay return shipping. Otherwise it's hard to order online.

o

Good morning, building.

The first photoshop you did, while the rug is a beautiful rug, I really do think the blue of the chair clashes with it.

The second rug is great and, IMO, works well.

Third one doesn't seem to have enough punch or lo-la-la..something.

The last two sufafr put up looks really good. I'd love to see what the rust-colored one looks like under your furniture. Same with the Poeme I posted. Beautiful rust. Would love to see that one slipped under in a Photoshop.

I'd also like to see what the Maroc and the one I have on the link as "Jaipur Yellow" look like.

and further up, I put a link to a rug called "Ethereal". That rug is similar to the second from the last of your photoshopped pics, only with more of a repeat pattern.

Sorry to ask others to do the work! Agree with Oakley: look at a yellow.

o

i'm coming from the safe and conservative angle due to the strong pattern on the chair (and my DNA :-) ). How about something like these? super practical for kids and family and keeps the focus elsewhere. Lots of freedom for other strong accessories.

o

Tibbrix: Thanks for the great opinions!

While I really like the Ethereal rug I just can't stomach spending $6000 for a rug.

I will try to add the others under the furniture later today.

Wendyb: I agree but we are worried that style of rug might be a little too casual for a great room. What are your thoughts? (we also have a casual hearth room where I think that style of rug would work perfectly)

o

Oh…I didn't look at the prices.

Oops.

Sorry. I also not only can't stomach paying $6K for a rug, I CAN'T pay $6K for a rug!

My only issue with the tribal rug idea is that, to me, that style looks like a Killim rug and too college-dorm-y. Just MO.

o

Yes, the plain ones are a bit more casual. I was thinking the room as a family space with TV and kids. but if its also the adult entertaining space, I love the chocolate background jacobean pattern rug as a little dressier.

o

I like the tribal rug -- Just wondering which one you picked?

o

I have looked all the post. It looks amazing rug.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here