Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybeem_gw

Light Gray/Blue & Martha Stewart Living Pic

honeybeem
13 years ago

Over at the paint forum they said to try posting over here... Can anyone suggest a nice light grey paint with a bit of blue tone to keep it from being dreary..but not too blue? It's for a living room. I love a clean coastal/cottage style with a more modern leaning than flowery shabby chic....if that is any help! Would love any pictures you might have!

I also have this picture I found posted on a blog here

http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/blog/abcs-of-decorating-y-is-for-the-color-yellow/

Does anyone know the paint color or something similar? It mentioned the picture is from Martha Stewart Living, maybe someone knows what issue or if the source paint color is listed?

Here are some other pics of grays/blues I like...

Comments (8)

• daisychain01
    13 years ago

Try Ben moore's moonshine. It has a similar light airy feeling to many of the pictures you posted.

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

Your German Shepherd photo is at Martha.com. I clicked Palettes tab, then Sophisticated Neutrals, it's pic #14 of 15. I don't see color names listed but Home Depot carries her paint colors now. Do you have one near you, that you could take the pic in with you?

If someone recognizes the pic from an issue, colors are usually listed in the back under "Resources". (Your local library might have issues of her magazine as well.)

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

Sorry, my PC is pretty wonky today. At my link above, first select Natural Palette, then at the end of those pics you'll see Sophisticated Neutrals palette. That's where I found a lot of nicer lighter colors & German Shep photo. Color names appear to be listed (sorry, again, it's my PC, some pics I see color names, others I don't).

BTW, when it comes to paint colors, I'm a huge MS fan. I have a lot of her old K-Mart, Sears, and some Lowes cards. (The woman changes retailers a lot, lol.) I'm working on taxes but if I get a chance I could look through some, see if there are any colors you might like. Possible the formula is still kicking around in paint dept/store computers. Amy SRQ collects her swatches too, if not mistaken, not sure about funcolors, but both ladies are whiz bang with colors. ;)

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

Benjamin Moore Wickham Gray is a nice light gray. I like Bunny Gray too. For a more blue color, take a look at Healing Aloe. (All BM colors.)

This is Healing Aloe in my beach cottage. I have decided this is one of my all-time favorite colors.

• sumnerfan
    13 years ago

The bottom picture the PO posted looks like my bathroom which is Martha's cake stand blue. It's a discontinued Lowes color, but I think they can still mix it. I absolutely love it.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Honeybeen,

Moonshadow is right, I am a huge fan of the old Martha colors, and the woman who designed them. In the interest of keeping things simple, I will throw out a few Ben Moore Colors for you to consider. Take a look at Chalk White 2126-70, Silver Crest 1583, Cascade Mountains 862. Those are just a place to start.

You might also like Ellen Kennon's Gustavian Gray. Hard to say what it will do in your home, but it is a lively complex color which leans blue, green, gray at various times of the day.

General things to keep in mind are that color will appear differently in your home than in mine or anyone else's. Depending on how much and what kind of light you have, the colors above may or may not wash out. If you have a lot of natural light from a southern exposure, for example, you may need to go with a more saturated color.

What else you have in the room, as well as your trim color, will make a big difference because color is what it is in relationship to what's around it. Anything in the room that lives on the opposite side of the color wheel will bring out the blue-ness of the paint. Put a terra cotta sofa or artwork against the walls and they will read blue. Put a navy sofa in there and they will read gray.

Finally, I will tell you what I tell clients...a little blue goes a long way! You are absolutely right in looking for a gray with a hint of blue.

• honeybeem
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all for the great suggestions! I love Martha Stewart paints too! I just did our laundry room with "Rainwater" from Home Depot at 50% strength, it's a lovely light green.

• honeybeem
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've decided to try a sample of BM Moonshine, thanks again!