Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kam76

Martha Stewart Color coordinated paints

kam76
10 years ago

Have any of you seen/used these? I was at home depot the other night and saw her display. I liked that she didn't have a million colors and that the chips were actually decent size. You pick a color you like and then you choose colors with the same symbol and they are supposed to coordinate. I liked the "asterisk" colors. Has anyone tried this with success? I have to pick colors for my whole house interior and I am pretty intimidated by it. Seems like this would at least give me a good jumping off point. Thoughts?

Comments (6)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Benjamin Moore has something similar called affinity colors where all the colors are supposed to go together.

But I have used MS colors when I can't find what I like at Ben Moore...

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I think you'll find that most paint brands have groups of related colors meant to go together. I'd investigate brands of paint first for one you like (for instance, Behr paint) then look for that brand's color suites. They often have little brochures that show the related colors

• Fluffeebiskits1
    10 years ago

The difference with Martha Stewart paint is that the symbols on the cards coordinate with all her products. So if you like the asterisk colors, and you were remodeling a room, you could pick a carpet or drapes with the same symbol and it would coordinate. I don't know of any other company that does that.

• kam76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Have any of you tried her "trim" and "ceiling" colors with success? Seems like a cool idea though I can't imagine buying paint to do every ceiling a slightly different color white.

I will have to check out BM's affinity. I was just in there the other day. I just like the ability to choose a white and a gray and a tan and know they will all go together nicely. I looked on HD website for her products and I saw a few but they were not listed by the symbols. Does anyone know an easy way to search for those:? I am not buying her carpet but i would be interested to see which colors she recommends for the paint colors I am thinking about.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I have to say that MS has some really nice products, but I've never been fond of her color palettes. Too "dull" looking - to me. Maybe it's my Western eyes.

That shouldn't prevent you from using them, if you like them, and of course as Flufeebiskits says, if you also need to match the drapes and carpets it could be a good system to try.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I did use one of her colors for my kitchen cabinets (color matched by the cabinetmaker), and used her suggested coordinating/trim colors as a source of inspiration for mine; but in the end I didn't get the exact colors she offered. I did really like having the suggested color coordination available, otherwise I would have been a little lost. They pointed me in the direction that I realized I wanted to go.

I have always liked her palette of colors; sort of an old-fashioned or vintage, quiet vibe to them -- somewhat greyed undertones to a lot of them, I think.

The samples of paint that I tried also seemed like good quality paint.