Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnagwd

Need help with built-ins, please?

donnagwd
9 years ago

We moved into our new house almost two years ago and have been planning built ins on either side of the fireplace since then, but can't come to agreement. We call this room the "Not-so-Great Room" since we didn't realize how small it was going to feel, especially compared to our old house.

Dh doesn't want the TV over the fireplace - he feels that the room isn't deep enough and he doesn't want to look up at it. He is the primary TV watcher - kids away at school and I just don't watch it much. I've pinned what seems like hundreds of photos on pinterest along the way.

This is the floor plan:

This area is to the right of the fireplace, with long windows and French door leading to patio:

And this is to right of the fireplace:

I think this may be closest to what we want:

(This is from Southern Hospitality blog, btw) The built ins here are angled on both sides instead of being built as a rectangle into the alcove.

But.....I'm thinking we only need the angled built in on one side for the TV and it would suck up too much of the not so big room to cut into each corner of the room like this. Dh thinks they s/b symmetrical and angled on both sides.

OTOH, are we killing eventual resale value by angling the built in at all? I keep thinking a rectangular built in will work for the TV if we use a turntable when needed to bring the right corner of the TV out so it can be viewed from the chairs to the left of the TV. OTOH, Dh isn't fond of the turntable concept for the TV if it brings it out beyond the front edge.

Suggestions? Recommendations? And, for bonus points, how high should the built ins go? The ceiling is a cathedral, we're thinking builts ins only to the top of the adjoining window/doors?

Comments (14)

• sloyder
    9 years ago

You could mount the TV to an articulating arm, not sure how pretty that would be. In the picture it looks like only the bottom cabinets are angled.

• chispa
    9 years ago

I don't like the angled built-in in that photo, the shelves are straight and the cabinet is angled. I think it looks a bit odd.

Have you (and/or DH) researched the different wall mounts that are now available for plasma/LCD TVs? I linked a site below. I agree that TV over the fireplace isn't ideal, but there are now better wall mounts available if that is the only solution for a room. I would do flat built-ins and and place the TV above the cabinet using an extending/swivel mount to optimize viewing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stands and Mounts

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

Would you consider just doing a built in to the right of the fireplace, rather than both sides. The space seems very tight on the left of the fireplace with the staircase right there. I would suggest a door on the TV to balance it better (side by side black holes at different heights don't look perfect). Another option might be placing the TV on the staircase wall and keeping the fireplace as a single unit.

[Traditional Family Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2107) by San Francisco Cabinets & Cabinetry InHouse Design Studio

[Traditional Basement[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-basement-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_747~s_2107) by Chanhassen Design-Build Firms Knight Construction Design : Chanhassen, Minnesota

[Traditional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Menlo Park Home Builders Markay Johnson Construction

[Contemporary Family Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2103) by Tiburon Architects & Designers Mahoney Architects and Interiors

The TV and fireplace debate is always a challenging one.

Carol

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

I think the space is perfect for built-ins on both sides and it would look odd if you only did it on one. I've seen them in person on a number of homes and they look great. Any TV can be angled by hand for optimal viewing and then pushed back straight when done. I would not angle the cabinets themselves. I would make the height of the cabinets at least as high as the window casing and maybe even a little higher.

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

It did not look like there was room on the left hand side of the fireplace for a built in. However, on a second look, I can see that there is.

Carol

• suero
    9 years ago

Here's an articulating mount. When you're not watching the TV, the TV can be moved flat against the wall.

• teacats
    9 years ago

A big vote for built-in cabinets and shelves on both sides of the fireplace -- and consider adding lighting too! :)

I believe that the room would "feel" more visually balanced and the room would look taller -- and therefore feel bigger with shelving on each side of the fireplace. :)

• clt3
    9 years ago

Ours is on an angle and it doesn't look funny. It really was the only way to place it.
    Ok, I have no idea why it's upside down!

This post was edited by clt3 on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 10:21

• kjmystery
    9 years ago

Our built-ins are not on an angle, and we have a heavy-duty articulating arm with a long reach which we can use to angle the TV for maximum viewing. When we are having company, we just push the TV back flat against the wall of the built-in. We love it. We definitely did not want the TV above the fireplace, as it is too high for comfortable viewing.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I think the angled cabinets look fine....that is all kind of dead space anyway (what else are you going to put there?), so why not make the most of it. I think you definitely need to do both sides of the FP...angled or not, it will look very nice.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I think angling the cabinet would crowd the patio door - like it does in your inspiration pic. Also in your inspiration pic, the built-ins dominate the space, and the fireplace gets lost. If you want the FP as your focal point, keep the built-ins simple, and definitely not too tall.

Maybe start with base cabinetry, and add shelves if you feel you need them. Again, I would try not to make the wall look too busy, to detract from your pretty FP.

Dark glass on the doors - like your current TV stand - will allow the remote to "see" your components.

I also agree with the swing arm wall mount. We have one for a small TV in the bedroom, and it is really convenient. I would think in your space, being able to pull the TV out a bit and angle it away from the patio door would reduce glare. I would keep it low - the same height it would be if it was on a stand.

OT - I love your wall color! What is it?

• donnagwd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for all these responses - I've lurked here for years but seldom posted.

annk - thanks for asking - our walls are SW Universal Khaki but I don't think they look very true in my iPhone photo.

I'm thinking now I will take the advice with regard to the swing arm wall mount and see if dh will go along with it. I had thought about it in the beginning and somehow I'd forgotten about it. Hoping dh will agree.

We do want the TV a little higher than it sits now - I'm thinking about the height of the kitchen counter.

Thanks for the photo clt3 - yours is very pretty!

OntarioMom, the space on either side of the fireplace is of equal size, it was just the photo angle that distorted it.

I'm thinking built ins should be approx same height as the window/doors pictured?

Will be back, no time to post more now...

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

clt3 I really like yours. I don't know what we used to do about tv and fireplace, but it sure seems like a problem the last few years, especially with the size of modern tvs.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

15 years ago, we had CRT televisions that were 15 inches front to back. They couldn't be mounted on a wall, or sit on a mantle - the nice ones came with a huge console.