Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelcute

Deer Heads in decor????

angelcute
15 years ago

My DH is a hunter. He has a couple of deer heads that we need to hang on the wall. Please post any pics of your rooms with deer heads or any wildlife on walls. We need help with ideas. Thanks

Comments (14)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    15 years ago

I realize that is a faux one, but I wonder if he'd be happy with them hung in the fall and winter months, and perhaps something like this done with them? I bought this one last winter on sale (without the wreath) but am looking forward to doing something with it for the holidays. I can picture both an evergreen wreath and one made of fall things around the neck of one.

I have also seen Ralph Lauren pictures with them used beautifully on old paneled walls etc. Personally, I'd like them shown against deeper rich, fall-ish colors, as I think they'd look best with them. Can you show pictures of the rooms you hope to use them in so we can help with more ideas?

• dreamgoddess
    15 years ago

Chijim had a thread back at Christmas showing his decorating with a (faux) deer head. Here's a link to the thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chijim's decor using a deer head

• ttodd
    15 years ago

I don't have a pic of it but when we had our store we had a mounted caribou head (bought at an auction by prev. owner) hanging on the catwalk banister. Every Christmas I'd put a big old wreath around it w/ a big red silk bow, wrap it's antlers in white lights and hang red christmas balls on red ribbon from it's antlers. Believe it or not it got a lot of cool comments. During the Fall I'd leave the lights on and wrap it's antlers in garlands of Fall silk leaves.

• User
    15 years ago

My DH hunts and has some mounts. IMO - mounts tend to look best with a higher ceiling height. Our old farmhouse had 9' ceilings and they looked okay on the wall. Our current house has 8' ceilings and I don't want any hung bc I feel like it would make the room look too crowded. He has done some mounts with just the skull bleached with antlers, and I like those on the wall - they are much smaller scale (don't have a photo at the moment). (For anyone reading who is uncomfortable - we eat everything we hunt, that is our lifestyle).

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

My DH is a hunter also. The den is all about hunting (we live in Texas). The walls are a faux leather paint style, carpet is antelope, deer mounts on the walls, a full body bobcat on the mantel (with another one on the way, as well as two more deer head mounts) and a cow hide hanging on the wall. The antelope carpet has since been replaced (it was defective) and we ran it on the diagonal...looks MUCH better! In the picture of the deer heads, the furniture and carpet are no longer there (I liked the sectional a LOT better than what we have now) :(
    The heads are arranged differently now too. Sorry I don't have updated pictures. It seems like this rooms is always a work in progress! Hope this helps.

• goldgirl
    15 years ago

Hey Monicakm - do you mind sharing the manufacturer of your sectional/couches? They look really comfortable!!

• ronbre
    15 years ago

i guess it would depend on the decor..but they do fit in in that room above

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

Goldgirl, the sectional came from Ashely Furniture. It included two recliners and a pull out queen sleeper. It easily sat eight people. LOVED it! But, for some reason, DH didn't and when one of the recliner pulls (it's down in the seat and reclines the back) broke, Ashely couldn't replace it and told us to pick out new furniture. The new is prettier, I suppose, but uncomfortable imo.
    Monica

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

I went to a Holiday Home tour this past December where the homeowner was a serious hunter. The really cool thing was that all of the hunting trophies were in one room, rather than spread around the house. I am not particularly a hunting fan, but the room had an almost museum quality to it.

• spicedmonkey
    15 years ago

Hi Angel -- Not what you're looking for, I'm sure, but I love artist Rachel Denny's 'Domestic Trophies'. A bit tongue in cheek, but really, quite fun. Good luck with the project! Please show pictures when you've completed.

PS -- Monica -- that is one gorgeous fireplace!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachel Denny - Domestic Trophies

• User
    15 years ago

In the book by Feather Your Nest there's quite a few pics with deer etc on the wall. There was transferware/toile incorporated in the room and it looked really nice all together. You might want to check it out!

• angelcute
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks 4 all the post

• User
    15 years ago

Here's what I did for spring w/my faux deer head.

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Jim, that is PRETTY!