Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twingirlsmom_gw

Tan paint color

twingirlsmom
15 years ago

anyone have a nice tan or khaki paint color that you'd recommend? I prefer a color that would go well with blue (of some sort of shade...still undecided). The tan would be the top color with molding (chair rail?) half way up the wall. This is for a bonus room that will be decorated with my husband's sports collectables, prints, etc. Sorry, I don't have any pics at this time but hope to add some soon. Thanks!

Comments (20)

• nami
    15 years ago

I have SW Sand Dollar - and we love it. If it reads a little too cool in your light, you could look at SW Softer Tan.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

How about Traditional Tan by ICI

• ttodd
    15 years ago

That Traditional Tan is gorgeous!

• randita
    15 years ago

I am exploring the same thing for my family room. I have settled on SW Believable Buff. I also love the Whole Wheat on the same strip (one shade darker), but the family room doesn't get direct sunlight (windows are under a porch roof) and I think the lighter Believable Buff will help lighten things up.

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Randita - may I suggest still sampling the Whole Wheat to see what you think? My LR also doesn't get tons of light for the same reason & is NE exposure. I actually found that lighter colors disappeared in that rm. & that something w/ a bit more depth showed up much better.

Could just be my personal pref. though - but hey - at $5 or whatever the SW samples are - why not give that darker shade a try?

• twingirlsmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks to all for the ideas. Those are what I had in mind. I also really like the Traditional Tan. Newhomebuilder-I'm not familiar with ICI...is that short for something or is that the actual name of the brand?

• craftymeca
    15 years ago

WOW. That traditional tan on my monitor looks very much like the Para Burnham Brown we just painted in our bathroom. OUr designer suggested we go to ICI to match the color as she tweaked it just a little. She seems very high on ICI and we have always used BM. However when our painter did the outside of our house he also recommended ICI as it has something in it to prevent or reduce fading as our house faces South.

• twingirlsmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

craftymeca - can you tell me what ICI is? Thanks.

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

Here's BM Lenox Tan (a historical color) with SW's Rain (blue) ceiling. The woodwork is Dover White by SW.

Here is a link that might be useful: More Tan/Blue Bathroom Photos

• trudymom
    15 years ago

Try SW Stone Lion.

• twingirlsmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

monicakm - that bathroom is fabulous!! And the little one in the tub is sure a cutie :-) If I heard tan walls and blue ceiling without seeing it, I may have had a hard time visualizing it (since that seems to be my problem) but that is so pretty.

trudymom - I like Stone Lion a lot. Does it come out looking green at all on the walls? It looks a bit green on the SW website.

Thanks again!

• craftymeca
    15 years ago

Twingirlsmom, Hubby tells me that ICI was formerly known as Glidden Paint. Its the first time we used it for the interior as we usually use BM. However this color was chosen by our designer from her Para paint fan deck, and she said to go to ICI as they were very good at matching colors.Hubby also told me tonight that he preferred working with BM in that he thought it went on nicer. We will be painting our dining room next and I believe for that one she has chosen a BM paint. Then there's the powder room, no rest for that man!

• twingirlsmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

craftymeca - thanks for the info. I'll look the color up under that name as well. I'm so jealous you have a designer. I'm our designer...and that's not a good thing!

• craftymeca
    15 years ago

twingirlsmom, dont envy me as I too am the designer most of the time. However sometimes I get stuck and its nice to have either someone validate my ideas, or point me in a direction I had not thought of.I am the worst for second guessing myself.I only call on a designer at those times when I am truly stuck which has always been enlighening.They always comment that "You certainly know what you like, and dont like!". lol But I always listen to their ideas as well, and never disregard anything out of hand until I hear the reasoning behind it.Good luck with choosing a color.

• coleen3201118
    15 years ago

Here's another with tan walls and blue ceiling - our LR in progress. BM Danville Tan and Palladium Blue. Good luck with your choice!
    {{!gwi}}

• twingirlsmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

colleen - very pretty! Those floors are beautiful!

craftymeca - I often have clear in my head what I want to do, I am somewhat challenged with rolling out the plan :-) I'd love to have someone available to do the same as you mentioned...either say "what are you thinking???" or "yeah, that would be nice" :-) My DH doesn't really provide a lot of input other than "NOW WHAT DO I HAVE TO PAINT???!!!"

• oceanna
    15 years ago

I wish you folks would please go put your pretty pictures in the Gallery in the thread for the browns/taupes/etc. ???

• maryel
    15 years ago

I love BM Manchester Tan. With white woodwork, it looks so crisp and clean. It's a great backdrop for my navy blue leather sofas.

• lesliecline
    15 years ago

I watched a recent episode of HGTV's sell this house and they used Ralph Lauren's "English Tan" from the vintage masters collection. It turned out beautiful on tv !

• mama2c
    15 years ago

We had SW Nomadic Desert in our last house. Used it in the master bedroom first, then liked it so much we used it in the study and powder room too. Very neutral, warmish tan.