Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nachin_gw

Exterior house design help

nachin
10 years ago

Hi guys,

We bought this home with my girlfriend and I'm having problems with what color to use on the front. Right now it's just raw cinder blocks and black fence but i'd love to have some color that goes with the yellowish of the house. I have more pictures if you want to see

What do you think?

Thanks and have a good day!

Comments (11)

• nachin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another pic

• nachin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

last one

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

It would actually look nice, with that black iron fence, painting on the same yellow as the house.

first thing you want to do, though, is ask the town if you even CAN paint it.

Also paint the black fence in a glossy black.

• nachin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Tibbrix, never though about painting it yellow. That might just be a great idea.
    If you see at the end of the first picture, I have a solid long iron gate painted in black. Would you keep it glossy black as well as the fence?

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Very pretty. Do you need covenant permits as far as painting, etc. I think the cinder block wall blends well with the sidewalk. However, it would also look nice painted the same color as the home. Either is nice. I like the black fence. Not sure I would gloss it up, but that's your choice. I sort of like the patina look of the cinder block, the grown-up neighborhood and the matte worn black fence.

• rmsaustin
    10 years ago

I am the furthest thing away from a landscape expert, so don't even know if it would be possible -- but, what would you think about planting some kind of vine that would eventually cover the lower cinderblock and possibly a flowering type vine for the cinderblock columns?

• User
    10 years ago

All the pictures are upside down on my iPad, but the first thing I would do is stucco over the block. Then paint it.

• teacats
    10 years ago

A vote for using concrete stain to color it -- perhaps in a deep rich green to blend with the black iron fence ....

Check out this pin board from Pinterest for ideas ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- cinder block fence ideas

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Yellow to match the house would not be my first choice for this lovely wall.

Consider training creeping fig to cover the wall, or go with a much more subdued color/stain for the wall. Something more neutral so if you decide to change the color of the house, the wall color can remain.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

kswl's suggestion to stucco over it is a great one. I would then, yes, paint it the same color as the house.

And again yes, I'd do all of the wrought iron in a glossy black. That is how it's done in Boston, and I can tell you, it is beautiful. Your fence is gorgeous and a wonderful feature. Highlight it!

Glossy black wrought iron fence. Beautiful.

• nachin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi guys, thank to you all for the suggestions!!! I really like the idea of going with yellowish paint or green acid stain. Those 2 are really nice options. I'd have to look at the house tonight and think about it.

Also, what do you guys think about the pathway to the front door? right now it's just concrete, should I stain that too?
    Sorry for the million questions, it's really hard to get ideas

Ignacio

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH