Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kam76

Tell me about your carpet runner!

kam76
10 years ago

I have a wood staircase and I would like to add a runner.
How did you guys do it? Do you apply a carpet tack strip (does this hurt your treads?) Or use those metal bar things that go across the treads like this picture?

Did you buy an actual runner or have a regular carpet bound?

Comments (25)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Have a professional install it. A stair runner is something you want done right, otherwise it can be dangerous.

• kam76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I am going to have a professional, I was just wondering what most people had asked their professional do to...if there were any pros/cons to either method.

I can see my stubbing the heck out of my toes on those metal bars that go across but I have mdf risers (and solid wood treads) and that would mean I wouldn't mess up my pretty treads. Also seems like maybe this method is used with a rug you don't want to ruin if you ever wanted to remove it? The tack strips seem like they would be more secure though.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think the metal bars are just for decor. I apologize if I misunderstood your question.

Any carpeting will work as a stair runner so long as it's long enough, so it can be either an actual runner or carpeting from a roll which is then bound.

• theclose
    10 years ago

I had a carpet made into a runner and bound. While I like the look of the metal bars on some stairs (like with an Oriental or Persian type runner), I don't like it with the sisal look like you posted. I love the one you posted, minus the bars. I love how wide the binding is. I wanted to do that but it was super pricey. Here is mine.

As for how it was installed, we had just had the stairs redone and the installer said the "damage" would be minimal. I think there was staples or tacking of some sort.

• kam76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love your stairs Mamorella and the wall paper is to die for. Do you mind my asking how much your runner ran you? Just wanting to prepare myself.
    Also, which stain did you use on your stairs and rail? They really are lovely.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

We had ours cut from broadloom and bound. I think I looked at hundreds of different options, it was overwhelming. It was installed by a professional, I think with tackstrips and staples but I wasn't home when he did it, so I'm not sure. However, having lived with the wood stairs naked and now with a runner, we won't go runnerless again. Our dogs had trouble with the wood stairs, and frankly I was afraid that I would slip too. I'll attach a pic.

• User
    10 years ago

Jumping in because we are doing this on our stairs to basement, question for mamorella and kellie: does your rug also have a pad underneath, and how thick is it?

Also, does anyone have a picture of an upholstered runner (like those pictured by mamorella and kellie) on a stair that turns? We have a stair that turns slightly at the top of the descent, proceeds straight to a landing, then turns again but this time 90 degrees to three more steps. I am thinking of using a small square rug on the landing and ending and re-starting the runner on the risers just before and after the landing. If that makes any sense at all.

Sorry for the hijack, it must be runner season on GW!

Love the Persian runner / brass rods look but you must BE or HAVE a committed housekeeper to keep the dust vacuumed from around those brass fittings.

• theclose
    10 years ago

@kam, I don't mind you asking. I just don't remember exactly! We also had carpeting done in our master/dressing room. For the runner, I chose a wool that resembles sisal. I wanted it to be soft. It was expensive. I believe the runner was in the neighborhood of $2k. I am in an NYC suburb. As for the stain, that is dark walnut. The railings are actually painted the same as my doors. In hindsight we should have stained the railings too, as they have chipped. Oh well! And thank you for the wallpaper compliment - it was installed by the previous owner! I do want to change to something a little more fun but it will do for now. I wanted to do a diamond pattern like kellie (which I had in my old apartment) but since I want to change out the wallpaper, I didn't want a pattern. But I love the diamond pattern!

@kswl, we don't have any more stairs other than pictured, but we did continue the runner in the upstairs hallway since the hallway is so tiny. When I asked the installer about stopping at the top riser or just going over the lip, he said he always stops then continues. My friend has what you describe and she stops at the top riser, has a beautiful rug on the landing, and then continues the runner on the next set of stairs. As for padding, yes, there is padding. In the below pic of my upstairs hallway, you can see the padding underneath the carpet. I could have gone thinner but this was suggested for comfort.

• theclose
    10 years ago

@kam, by the way, I *do* remember how much that thick binding was, as I really, really wanted to do it. It was $2-3 per square foot, depending on how thick. My 13 stairs are 26 sq ft. That was just too much to spend at the time. But I love the look!

• User
    10 years ago

Thanks marmorella for that info. I am looking at Karastan wool "sisal" bound carpet for our runner that looks very much like yours. I love how yours and Kellies are bound in a dark color that draws from another element--- the dark wood, in your case and the dark part of the pattern in kellie's. My runner will be on heart pine treads with painted risers. We are using Karastan French Check carpet in green and cream as an area rug at the bottom of these stairs and also to carpet a nearby room, so I thought to use the same check as the landing rug (square 38" x "38"). My dilemma is how to bind edges.....green will not reference anything on the stair itself, and white will get very dirty. I may go with a light green of the wall color, which will be there as long as we are.

Kam thank,you so much for starting this thread!!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

In our last house, we had a rather formal runner, wool sisal (which wore like iron). I had edging made from a tapestry upholstery fabric. I had always wanted those brass bars, so we had those too. They may have served a function long ago but they are decorative today.

A word about the bars. One, they are expensive (at least mine were, in solid heavy brass with finials and brackets). Two, you make holes in the floor where the brackets go. Three ... a funny one ... they are "noisy". your feet hit them as you go up, at least my size 10s did.

In my CT house, which is less formal and in a country setting, i was going to do a cute tape binding --- there are many --- but opted instead for plain wool sisal.

Sorry these are the only photos I have, one close up. Excuse the little interloper.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

KSWL, thank you for asking about what to do on a landing when you do a runner for the stair. DH and I love the look of a runner but we also have a landing and a 90 degree turn. We have no clue how to cover the landing. My flooring guy I am sure would have suggestions but I know fellow GW members would also have great examples.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Mammorella, thanks for that photo of your hall. Your set up is exactly like mine although I turn right at the top of the stairs. I want a runner on the stairs but was not sure how to continue it and make the turn. Aha! Now I get it.

So glad you started this thread, Kam. Love the look of the brass bars but it is too formal for The Brick Box.

• carsonheim
    10 years ago

Not a runner, but rather carpeted stairs. I want this SO.BAD. The only issue is where to end the animal print carpet at the top. We have a fairly open loft area upstairs, and a "bridge" between the left and right sides of the 2nd floor.

[Contemporary Staircase[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-staircase-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_745~s_2103) by Austin Carpet & Flooring Schroeder

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

kswl - my rug does have a pad underneath but I am not sure how thick it was. I may be able to dig up the invoice when I get home. Mine isn't wool, and I think it was right around $1000 which was including install. We considered wool and our final choice was down to the one that we selected and a tweedy looking wool, but we've been pleased with what we have. We had installed about 5 months ago, I believe. Not that it has been in so long, but we do have 3 dogs and it looks exactly the same as it did on install, so have no thoughts that it won't wear well. And somehow it hides all the dog hair!

Have you looked at Houzz, there are lots of ideas for how to configure a runner for stairs that turn, have landings, etc. Perhaps you could find something similar to your set up. I have looked, but must be the least spatial person out there because I can't quite picture what you are describing!

carson - I LOVE that look. Somebody here was looking for runner ideas recently and I was pushing for animal print so I could live through theres since I didn't have the guts to do it myself. Next time I do it, I swear I won't wimp out! Too bad mine is wearing so well

• theclose
    10 years ago

@mtn, the brass rods look great with your sisal and binding! I think your binding lends the formality that works with the rods.

@carson, love, love, love.

@ded, you are so welcome! I, too, was stumped as to what to do up in the hallway. I was going to get a separate rug, but then it wouldn't "turn". In my old apt, I had a runner that wasn't tacked down (rental) and they sewed it to go with the turns. Loved that. This one is tacked down and was a great way to handle it.

@kswl, I think a light green to go with the walls is perfect.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I don't have a photo, but for our landing they just bound a piece of the wool sisal in a rectangle, with the same tapestry border and wood reveal as the stairs, and then the stairs continued on after the landing.

Carson, Have you seen the antelope? I always wanted it and just put it in my guest room. It looks particularly nice as a runner.

• User
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions. I now feel armed to go to the carpet person and tell her what I want. Thanks!!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Carsonheim, I LOVE the animal print carpeted stairs. I could pull the trigger on that in a heart beat!

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i am going to be needing to get runners for 3 sets of stairs soon... one will be rather sedate and more formal, but i am definitely going to do something more fun on the other 2... antelope definitely on 1 of them-- haven't priced any of them yet, but will probably get the antelope in nylon if there's a significant price difference... the cheetah is fun too!!

• carsonheim
    10 years ago

mtnrdredux - I hadn't seen the antelope! So sooo cool! I'd *love* to see the photo of it in your space :)

• selcier
    10 years ago

Where did everyone go to get things priced out? Regular 'ole Lowes or specialty carpet shorwrooms?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Busybee, Carsonheim,

I think I posted here when I was considering the antelope for our guest room. I was pleasantly surprised at the low price, but then when I ordered a sample, I didn't like it.

I ended up going for the (alas, much pricier) Stark version. IMHO antelope is whacky enough without risking a cheap,whacky antelope look, KWIM. I don't have any pics but I will take some I promise later this weekend.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

mtnrd, aahhh, figures!! i remember the 1st antelope staircase pic you posted... i looked online at pics and it seemed the nylon (i saw 2 different brands- one karastan i believe) that seemed to have a thinner dk brown stripe and less spotting than the stark wool which was appealing to me... but, i think ordering samples would be a must--- there are no samples at the flooring store i would be dealing with.
    there's also a cool (nylon) alligator print which i might consider ... !! fun, yet neutral...

• jackson2348
    10 years ago

We're doing a runner on stairs with a turn, but we're still a couple of months out from having it installed. I plan for it to continue on the landing, making a turn when the stairs do. The treads are antique pine and the risers are white. Kswl, I'm pretty sure I could happily move right into your house and not change a thing :)

This is what's going on in the back hall. The navy is our locker built ins with a cushion in the orange, and the aqua fabric is roman shades on 3 doors. Brick floors.

And the Karastan carpet we found to do the runner. This color has been discontinued, and we got the last bit of it from the mill. The color is more vibrant IRL.