Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistychaz

painting wicker furniture

mistychaz
12 years ago

I have a vintage wicker chair that needs to be painted. Would it be best to use satin or semi-gloss for this project?

Comments (10)

• nanny2a
    12 years ago

I�ve redone my wicker furniture many times. One chair is over 100 years old, and still kickin�! I prefer to use a semi-gloss, or high gloss spray to get the look I want. I just made a new seat cushion for it and am in the process of making a back cushion, too.

• no_green_thumb
    12 years ago

Not to hijack - but I also have wicker that needs to be repainted --- what do you do to prep, Nanny?? Mine is not vintage, but it is about 10 years old and some of the painted is chipped. Thanks a lot.

• Carol_from_ny
    12 years ago

I usually use a garden hose on my wicker to get the loose stuff off along with a brush that's not too stiff. Then DH takes the air hose to it blow all the loose stuff off of it. The cleaner the surface BEFORE you paint the better the paint sticks. Make sure your wicker has dried out from the cleaning completely before you try to paint.
    Spray paint works best on wicker and a light hand is much better than a heavy one when applying paint. Much better to do several light coats than one heavy one.
    BTW a old appliance box makes a good wind shield for spraying. It keeps the paint from blowing all over AND it keeps things like dirt and leaves from blowing onto your freshly sprayed paint.

• mistychaz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank younanny2a, I love your chair, so cute. Good luck to everyone needing to paint some wicker.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I paint wicker chairs and use spray paint. The only complaint I have is that it takes nearly three cans per chair and that's spraying lightly and a couple coats. It can get expensive depending upon the brand. Love the finish though. My favorite color lately has been sage. Last Fall I bought three brand new white wicker chairs at Pat Catans on clearance, couldn't resist the price, and plan on painting at least one of them a nice warm brown or tan. Not dark brown.

Do you also use a protective coat of some kind afterwards? I don't and eventually the paint does crack and peel,which isn't a terrible look actually. Just curious if I'd have better luck with a final coat of something.

• User
    12 years ago

What a timely thread--- I am redoing my daughter's bedroom and her vintage (1930s) wicker desk/vanity has definitely seen better days. It is white at present, and I found a Laura Ashley pale pink paint that will make it look fresh and pretty, I hope! We bought the paint and the painter is going to spray it tomorrow. Will post pictures of how it turns out.

• hlove
    12 years ago

DH painted our vintage wicker set with exterior paint from Sherwin Williams, not sure of the gloss...it was what the guy at the paint store recommended. We blew debris off first, then sprayed down with a hose. Let dry and then we bought a relatively inexpensive paint sprayer. The paint has held up really well, even though it's been out on our covered porch all winter.

• mistychaz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you.

• alisonn
    11 years ago

I think it works out best to repaint painted wicker the same color that it is. If there is any flaking or wear down the road, you won't be seeing a contrasting color peeking through.