Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgusrafs

Need a Green Paint Suggestion

rgusrafs
14 years ago

So hereÂs my dilemma:

I have picked out wallpaper to cover one wall in an open floor plan 2-story loft. ItÂs a gorgeous Schumacher paisley, and I am totally in love with it: Link to Wallpaper

The wallpaper will cover a 9 x 15 wall behind the dark brown leather sectional sofa in the living room area (the wall on the right in the photo below  from the windows to the bump out column thing). The photo below shows a similar unit, but mine has wall-to-wall floor to ceiling windows.

HereÂs what I am working with:

Living room is ceiling is 16Â high (it is open to the upstairs bedroom)

West facing 9Â x 14Â windows on two levels

Exposed air-conditioning ducts

Lightly stained red oak flooring

Black galaxy flamed granite (more or less)

Light maple cabinets

Stainless steel appliances

On both levels, I plan to use duiponi silk drapes the color of the blue in the wallpaper and cream sheers. I want to paint most of the walls the same color throughout  with the exception of a little office area and the bathrooms -- and I am working to find a match for the lighter green in the wallpaper.

Now that I have a sample of the wallpaper in hand, I see that this green is springy yet khaki all at the same time. One minute, BM Aura Grasshopper works, and then the light changes and it isnÂt green enough. I have also tried BM Dried Parsley (too minty), BM Guilfod Green (not enough brown), BM Guilford Green +25% (not enough brown), and the new Martha Stewart Parchment Paper (not enough green). Thank goodness I am painting all of these on poster board so I can move then throughout the condo.

I am open to suggestions from all you fantastic experts. So whatÂs a good green thatÂs not too green because I cannot deal with a condo full of pea green walls?

I am hoping I can find a Benjamin Moore or C2, but I am open to going to any brand and having BM color match if needed.

HELP.

Thanks!

rgustafs

Comments (14)

• my3babypeaches
    14 years ago

BM Baby Turtle - love it

• jamaraz
    14 years ago

BM providence olive. I have black countertops and maple cabinets. Looks very nice as a background color.

• megsy
    14 years ago

Can you link to the wallpaper again? That link isn't working.

• altagirl
    14 years ago

Did you consider BM Abingdon Putty? It comes out very much like the background on the wallpaper (which is gorgeous btw!).

• rgusrafs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Feel free to keep em coming because I have to get this right. I am fully prepared to order samples until I am satisfied with a color.

I am going check into all three that have been suggested so far. I may have do do Baby Turtle at 50% or so to get to a light enough color, but it is a great color! Providence Olive and Abingdon Putty are fab as well.

Bring on the samples! Thank goodness I did not put a ime limit on this. hehehe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's another try at the link to the Schumacher Isabella Paisley in Peridot

• htnspz
    14 years ago

Are you trying to go with a more eclectic feel for the condo because it appears very modern yet the wallpaper seems very traditional? I think I would select a more celery colored green (sorry no names).

• paint_chips
    14 years ago

Can you take the wallpaper sample to be color matched?

• loribee
    14 years ago

YES...color match the paper. It's lovely, by the way!
    It does appear that b turtle at 50% could work~~

• rgusrafs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So My Perfect Color is going to be making some money off this one. :) Here's what I shall try today: BM Baby Turtle (515) at 50%, BM Dried Parsley (522) plus 50%, BM Abingdon Putty (maybe green is too hard?).

AND...I will take it to my local guys to be color matched. They are pretty fantastic so I am sure they can come up with something. I wish I could mix the Grasshopper and the Dried Parsley because really that's what the lighter green lining the edges of the paisleys looks like. So frustrating.

Just to give you an idea of what the wallpaper looks like in real life (quite different than it looks on my monitor), the main body color is somewhere between BM Ivy League and Baby Turtle. Closer to Ivy League, I guess.

Htnspz: We are thinking sleek and clean (modern-ish?))with a nod to traditional to keep it from being so square, too neutral and...boring. It will be a challenge, but -- in my mind -- the wallpaper is so traditional that it feels fresh and modern. But I could be really, sadly wrong. I am totally open to opinions on this issue.

Please keep thoughts, ideas and suggestions coming. I am a perfectionist so it will take me a while. Ugh.

rgustafs

• scanmike
    14 years ago

I also think you need a more celery color green. IMO, baby turtle leans towards a brownish color green.
    How about Georgian Green HC 115 or Fernwood Green. They both have yellow in them, rather than the brown.
    I also think color matching to your paper is the best bet.
    I know Ellen Kennon has a Peridot green. I forgot what it looks like though. Great paint and great lady. Check out her website to see her greens. You could also email her your question and she will help you out.

• traditionalgirl1
    14 years ago

BM Dry Sage is a gorgeous, gorgeous color on the walls. Take a look at it!

• rgusrafs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whew. I have been painting test boards like it is my job. Here is what I have concluded: My heart wants Farrow & Ball paints. My head (and wallet!) wants to find close approximations so I don't go broke.

Here are the F&B colors I am thinking:

Churlish Green for the 16' wall with the stairs and upstairs
    Cream for the hallway leading into kitchen/living room
    Tanner's Brown for accents--maybe the little bump out columns and a soffit in the kitchen/living room?
    Oval Room Blue for the office/guest room or the guest bathroom
    Matchstick for ceilings and trim

So I tried to get my fab BM guys to match it. No dice. And now I cannot get the colors out of my mind.

Help. I am looking at EK, P&L, BM, and C2 and hoping to find something already mixed that will give me the same overall color look as the F&B.

Like maybe:

Churlish Green = c2 Cameleon (170)
    Tannner's Brown = c2 Stout (481)
    Cream = c2 Cornsilk (396)
    Oval Room Blue = EK Slate

Short of winning the lottery, what do you guys suggest?

• rgusrafs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whew. I have been painting test boards like it is my job. Here is what I have concluded: My heart wants Farrow & Ball paints. My head (and wallet!) wants to find close approximations so I don't go broke.

Here are the F&B colors I am thinking:

Churlish Green for the 16' wall with the stairs and upstairs
    Cream for the hallway leading into kitchen/living room
    Tanner's Brown for accents--maybe the little bump out columns and a soffit in the kitchen/living room?
    Oval Room Blue for the office/guest room or the guest bathroom
    Matchstick for ceilings and trim

So I tried to get my fab BM guys to match it. No dice. And now I cannot get the colors out of my mind.

Help. I am looking at EK, P&L, BM, and C2 and hoping to find something already mixed that will give me the same overall color look as the F&B.

Like maybe:

Churlish Green = c2 Cameleon (170)
    Tannner's Brown = c2 Stout (481)
    Cream = c2 Cornsilk (396)
    Oval Room Blue = EK Slate

Short of winning the lottery, what do you guys suggest?

• scanmike
    14 years ago

Churlish Green is exactly what I pictured to match with your wallpaper. That's why I suggested a green with yellow like Georgian Green. Farrow's cream or Cream? I also like either.
    I like EK slate as well as a cheaper alternative to Oval Room Blue.
    Tanner's is a bit dark for me, but I am not that daring.
    Just for the record I used more Farrow and Ball paint to paint a room than I normally would. It just needs more coats IMO. I do think EK paints has better coverage in that in covers in less coats. You can't go wrong using F & B, but definitely try them in your room first before spending the money.