Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what kind of window treatment over sink window?

Posted by rtmom2 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 14:38

My sink is in the middle of a row of cabinets and I have a window about 6" up from it. (centered between top cabinets). My cabinets are a carmel color w/ dark brown glazing made of maple. Cabinets were previously not there and I had a larger window that I made smaller to put the sink under. Previously I had clear oak Hunter Douglas wood blinds w/ biege taping. My other windows are not near the cabinets so we put the blinds back up - not needed elsewhere for privioucy, but gets a lot of sun light. The window above the sink does need a blind for some privioucy, but not sure what to put in. The oak doesn't go well w/ the wood. I have been thinking about Hunter Douglas Vignette, Roman shades, or woven shades. I adventally want to change all my blinds if possiable, but that isn't untill 2 - 3 yrs (I want a new table, right now it is oak). Most blind stores have said over the sink may not be the best place for fabric, but I want to break up having so much would. What do you all reccommend? We brought the oak blinds 11 yrs ago when we brought the house and were expensive. I should add the blinds will usually be up during the day at night we will probably only close the 3/4.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what kind of window treatment over sink window?

It would be sooooo helpful if you could post a picture. If you could get away from the privacy issue, maybe you could just have a colorful valance? Hard to know without a picture.

o

Yes, I'd like a picture too! What about a shutter on the bottom portion only. In an off-white color and you could have a valance on the top to add color...

o

Sorry no pictures available, and shutters is not a thing to do in NY (even though they can be nice, do not fit look in my kitchen). I have Noice tumbled marble for a back splash if that helps and a French/Italiam feel to my kitchen. (Walls are painted a sage green) Also need some priviucy since kitchen looks into neighbors yard and can be seen from front sidewalk.

o

Here are some photos of Roman Shades from Smith and Noble's website -- might be something there that might work for you!

Hope this helps!

Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: photos from Smith and Noble -- roman shades

o

Why not go with a fabric valance and a standard roller shade for privacy? During the day it would be hidden under the valance.

o

I would go with a woven wood roman blind, even if you got a splash of water from the sink it could be wiped down fast.
some of the weaves incorporate a few tones that would blend with your new cabs.
I had those for years behind my sink and it was ideal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here