Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mybrowneyedgirls

What size chandelier for foyer? Please help, must decide!

mybrowneyedgirls
15 years ago

I found the perfect chandelier for my foyer. I've been wanting to replace the ugly builder's brass chandelier for some time now. All other lighting/chandeliers throughout the house has been updated, and I've been looking for something that will tie in with the other fixtures I now have. Nothing has seemed to work, and then last night I found one that would look perfect on CL, of all places! I have to decide on it soon before someone else grabs it!

The only thing is I wonder if it might be too big. It is 28"high and 36"diameter. My foyer is 18 feet high, but it is narrow (85"wide) although it is completely open to the living room downstairs (there is a wall starting at 9 ft (living room ceiling height) that goes all the way up to the 18 ft ceiling. Upstairs there is a "bridge rail" that goes across the overlook to the foyer. So, if you are following me--and hopefully this is making sense--if you are standing in the upstairs hallway at the railing that overlooks the foyer, the chandelier is "boxed" in by 3 walls and the open railing. The dimensions are 85" wide by 115" length here. Sooooo, would a 36" wide chandelier be too wide for here? Is there some rule to follow? The current fixture is a very narrow, brass/glass cage-like fixture that the builders around here use as a standard fixture. It is only 14 or 15" at its widest point (in the center). I know I could go a little bigger, but I just don't know how much bigger. Like I said, I have to decide really soon (there is someone else interested) so please help!!! Thanks so much!

Comments (8)

• parma42
    15 years ago

I just measured and my entry is about the same size as yours. The pics are old from when we just moved in.

The pic of the finished room is from the decorated model in our subdivision. They used a wider chandy (sorry, only pic I have and not a good shot of the light fixture). I really liked the look of it but when I priced them, they were over our budget and we ended up doing a pendant.

I don't think that would be too wide for you. It's about the width of a standard front door, not including any side windows you may have.

I'd rather err on the side of big, rather than skimpy.

• mybrowneyedgirls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, parma42. Are you in Parma, Ohio, by any chance? I live in Columbus.

Anyway, my foyer is similar to yours, except that you don't have a wall coming down from the ceiling where the living room starts. I do and it boxes the chandelier in, so that is where the space is just a little over 7ft by 9ft 7in. According to the formulas I've seen online, my chandelier should only be 16-17" wide. So I'm still pretty concerned...if it wasn't "boxed in" I wouldn't be as concerned. How set in stone is this rule (add length and width of space and that gives you width (i.e. 9 by 8=17, so width should be 17" wide).

• parma42
    15 years ago

Parma, Italy. That's where the company my DH works for is located.

Do you have a picture of your entry in regard to the living room? The rules that you posted are pretty standard, but it's harder to work with two-story entrys. If you followed the rules for the height of the chandy, along with the ones for the width...you probably couldn't find much.

36" is pretty wide but we'd have to see it in context. I take it you haven't been able to find a nice pendant that would work?

• mybrowneyedgirls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, I haven't been able to find anything else I like as much as this one, nothing that "makes sense" with all the other fixtures. Also, this one is only $60!! I'm not getting it just because of the price, although that's a huge bonus! One other thing I just thought of--the chandelier was previously hanging over a dining room table, which means the wires and chain are much shorter than I need. Could extra wire and chain be added to make it the proper length for my 18 ft ceiling?

• kismet08
    15 years ago

Your foyer sounds exactly like mine, actually, yours might be a touch larger. I currently have a huge fixture in that space. I believe the original owners chose it to fill the large window, and fill it does! We call it the big brass spider. I'm struggling with getting rid of it because its a gorgeus real brass fixture (and priced at $3k new on Progress Lighting website), but I feel its far too large. It has 3 tiers, 21 lights total and trips the breaker if I have it on and try to vacuum the hall.

Now, my fixture is 48 inches wide, and it is far too large. But I think 36 would work for me, and I think from what your describing, my foyer is slightly smaller than yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: The big Brass Spider

• kismet08
    15 years ago

Here are some pics of the big brass spider in my skinny foyer:

I know its too big, but its also 48 inches, and you are talking only 36. I also suspect your foyer isn't as tight as mine. I think you'll be fine!

• Oakley
    15 years ago

I'm not an expert at lighting, but kismet, that chandy has to be one of THE prettiest I've ever seen! If I walked into your home the last thing I'd think would be that's it's too big. I think too small chandys are more noticeable.

• mybrowneyedgirls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kismet08, thanks for posting pictures of your big brass spider and your foyer--it was very helpful. Now I'm reconsidering--I was going to give up on the one I found and continue searching, but now I think it may actually work. Hmmm...