Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cvazqu

Need lots of outdoor furniture. But what? and where?

cvazqu
10 years ago

Hi!
My family and I (DH, 3 kids- 3, 5, and 8 yrs, and me) moved into our new house in January. Now that the weather is warm enough here (south Louisiana), we are using our pool/ back porch/ outdoor kitchen area almost daily. I have a lot of space and no furniture! I am ready to buy some... but I really can't imagine what I should get and where it should go. I'm hoping that those of you with a better vision for these things can help me out a bit. I took photos just now; hopefully those will help. I was doing pool maintenance right before I took these, so please forgive the buckets, brush, nets, etc. Also, there are some pipes sticking up from the ground that were marking drains during landscaping that need to be removed. Just ignore those, too. :)
I know I want a place(s?) for a table/dining. I also want some outdoor living room/lounge furniture I think. I don't really know where these activities should logically occur. When we've grilled, we've brought the food in the house but would like to dine outside. My husband wants to be able to watch ball games (hence the tv he had installed) while he grills. So I don't know if the table should go in the outdoor kitchen structure or if outdoor couches and chairs should go there. And what should go on the porch? We seldom use it now (obviously- there's no seating!). The one consideration relative to the porch is that my husband doesn't want anything large that detracts from the view to the back yard from inside the house. So nothing too tall or bulky I guess?
Anyway. I plan to get some poolside lounge chairs to go on the decking around the pool. But I need help with what you think should logically go on the porch and in the outdoor kitchen.

Immediately behind the house, we have the porch with a fireplace. There are doors to the kitchen/breakfast room and master bedroom from here. The porch is roughly 33 feet long, 14 feet wide in front of the fireplace and 10 feet wide where it narrows behind the kitchen/breakfast room.

from the porch looking over pool (oh, I forgot to mention the hideous slide! Ignore that, too. It's for the kids. :) )

The outdoor kitchen space is 14x20 (including cabinets, so less than that). The door on the solid wall near the tv leads to a bathroom so I can't block that.

Here are some additional pictures to give an idea of the area. I am open to any suggestions.

Comments (13)

• teacats
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Let's see:

a)Outdoor Kitchen with TV: First -- add an island for staging food. Add a round or rectangular table and swivel/tilt chairs in front of the TV -- which would allow easy access to the grill AND allow the Chef to sit and watch TV. Also allows easy access to the bathroom. PLUS -- during parties -- the table and chairs could either move out to the main area OR it could act as a Buffet Station.

b)Porch with Fireplace: Measure VERY carefully and add an outdoor sectional.

c)Under the Windows along the Porch: Add larger comfy armchairs with a table between them -- for viewing the pool.

• chloenkitty
    10 years ago

Fantastic space, I love it! You can do a few different seating areas which would be nice plus a fire pit!

• chloenkitty
    10 years ago

I'd put an eating area under the tv, line one side of the pool with loungers and umbrella in case someone wants to relax in a lounger next to the pool, but not get sun. I'd put another grouping on the other side of the pool for a conversation area with a table and a firepit somewhere in the mix. Love it!

• cvazqu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much, teacats and chloenkitty! I LOVE the swivel chairs/table idea for the outdoor kitchen. That is the perfect solution! I also like the idea of armchairs with a side table by the kitchen/ breakfast windows. I'm having trouble imagining a sectional in front of the fireplace. I will investigate some and plot them out on the ground and see if it will work. I do like the look of them.

Thanks again!

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I have a friend with nearly the same setup. In the TV area there's a sofa and 2 chairs with a coffee table between them. Perfect for lounging after a swim and watching football. :)

In the kitchen area a round table with chairs. If you don't get huge pieces of furniture I think it would work.

You'll get two sitting areas which are great when you have company.

• Shelley Graham
    10 years ago

What a beautiful outdoor space! Try Costco for outdoor furniture...good prices and nice quality. If you have a store nearby they may have different things available than they do online. We've been very happy with the table and chairs we bought five years ago...still in excellent condition.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Wow, really pretty!

A client of mine (yes, another one!) has a gorgeous pool and the absolute BEST sling chaise lounges I've ever used. I asked her last year where she got them: Costco. I looked on Costco.com, but they didn't have them. I was so disappointed, figuring they'd been discontinued.

But the have reappeared! I am planning on getting two for my own deck. They are very well made, the price can't be beat (considering the quality), two for $430, and they have a great feature I've never seen anywhere else: the arms fold down.

Unfortunately, they only come in this one rather drab color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kirkland Chaise Lounge 2-pk.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I was going to also suggest that same furniture as Tibbrix.

See that round table and chairs in the background? We have had for over 5 years and they still look brand new. We keep outside year round, and it snows here. Not any flaking or chipping on the paint. The sunbrella fabric is easy to wipe down. (I usually use dish soap and a dish brush a couple of times a year). Best of all is how high the backs of the chairs are. They are very supportive and hold up your head. DH fits in them well and he is a big guy. And they are very well priced (VERY).

• petepie
    10 years ago

I have tropitone patio furniture and have been very happy with it. It wasn't cheap but is now ten years old, and still looks great. It's light beige aluminum frames with cream/off white slings, and it only takes some water with bleach to clean any stains on the slings. It stays out year round (I'm in mid Atlantic) but I cover it when not in use and I think the cover has made a big difference in keeping it looking good. My inlaws purchased some cheaper sets from Home Depot and the frames and slings faded and the finish on the frames is peeling off within a few years. As you shop, ask about warranty.

• cvazqu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your awesome help and recommendations! It's just what I needed to set me in the right direction. Once I've gotten things in place, I will try to remember to post updated pictures.
    Thanks again!

• teacats
    10 years ago

This is the kind of furniture that we have here -- in white. Our high-back (but not the REALLY high-back) chairs are tilt/swivel ones -- and they are VERY comfortable.

We have an entire set (round dining table, six tilt/swivel chairs) in white -- with white slings. Plus a two-seat slider/glider -- and an outdoor bakers rack. Very comfy chairs -- and easy to care for -- with no worries about storing big cushions ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Winston Patio furniture

• peony4
    10 years ago

Great space! Don't forget some oversized containers for large-scale plants (small trees, palms, whatever works in your zone) to further warm the space and break up the large expanses of siding and concrete, particularly in the TV area and alongside the pool.

• cvazqu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Excellent, thanks! I will add some planters, too.
    Teacats- thanks for the link. I see that the Winston dealer closest to me is the store I planned to hit for the 50% off Mother's Day sale. Perfect.
    In the meantime, I see there is a costco opening in Baton Rouge (~an hour from me) later this month and I will check there, too. No Costco in my town