Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

Just finished another CL chair - Grrrrrrr!

My3dogs ME zone 5A
11 years ago

This one isn't very exciting, but I had fun. It had been upholstered 3 times before my shot at it, and they were all shades of green. The man selling it for his late MIL's estate said that she had it for at least 50 years. It's very well built.

Before -

Modeled by Riley, who MUST help with every chair -

After - Fabric is P Kaufmann 'Pali' cheetah print in colorway 'mineral', an eBay bargain. The pillow is an old linen print from my stash, and it was a way to join the blackish color of the frame with the colors in the cheetah print. I made my own chalk paint for the first time, using Calcium Carbonate, and sample jars of Behr paint that cost less than $3 each. There are several layers of gray, taupe, and graphite colors that I played with until I was happy, and I used dark brown BriWax to seal it.

Comments (33)

• arlosmom
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I love the piping detail. I wish I had your skill.

• Miz_M
    11 years ago

I LOVE this chair, and want it for my office, it's perfect! :-D You have such an amazing talent, and eye for what will work.

Riley is precious, what a sweet expression. :)

I've been making my own chalk paint for a while now, but use PoP. It's made me love painting, something I used to dread. I'd like to try BriWax, I've been using Johnson's, and not loving it.

This was a treat to see, thank you!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Miz M, Believe me, if you lived closer, this would be yours!

I used the BriWax years ago to age frames when I was crafting, and it doesn't smell great, but the added color is fantastic. I have both the light and dark brown.

Arlosmom, I got so lucky with the piping! Black was way too dark, and I bought a true brown which looked awful. I rooted through my stash and found a piece of taupe cotton velveteen that was perfect, and I was able to make just enough with it. Whew! I can return the brown I bought, so this chair will have very little $$ in it.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Another home run, my3!

If you would, tell us a little more about BriWax - I've never used it, and would like to know your method. Is it a fairly soft wax? How much? With what? How long before you polish? With what? And what else should we know?

Even after all these years, I find waxing correctly to be difficult. We always used Jamestown at home, which is liquid and has oil, but I like the look and durability of well-waxed furniture much better.

• User
    11 years ago

Not very exciting ??? Whoa..that is wonderful. You always have such a fine eye for details and what will go with what. I also am amazed at the depth of your stash ! I know that is something seamstresses have in abundance but still..yours is really something. Congratulations once again on a fantastic job. c

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank-you, Bronwynsmom.

I first bought this wax probably 20 years ago at a local shop that brought over containers of old pine furniture from the UK, and I'm still using the same 2 cans. It's what they polished their pieces with, and they also made repros from old wood, which also got this wax. I have used the light brown on my pine antiques, to give them more depth. When I did craft shows years ago, I used it on pieces with a crackled paint finish for instant patina.

This chair wasn't thrilling me til I put the BriWax on and it really changes the look, adding a depth and silky finish that (to me) really enhances the paint finish. It's very soft wax, and I put it on with a soft cotton rag, and also buff it with one.

I've linked the BriWax site below, but here is a quote from it. There are many products that I haven't tried, and some good reading there.

"Since 1860, Henry Flack's blend of carnauba and beeswax polish has not changed. Patina is defined as the natural, original finish of a wood, and was extremely difficult to maintain and/or regain before the BRIWAX brand of products came into being. "

Here is a link that might be useful: BRIWAX International, Inc.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Thank YOU, my3 -

I'll take a run at it. I'm afraid I've neglected the fine points of furniture care in the last few years.

• PRO
  • sameboat
    11 years ago

That came out awesome!

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

What a beauty. You have such an eye and are very talented!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

You never cease to amaze me!!!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

My3dogs, where did you buy the calcium carbonate?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yaya, I got mine at Amazon. I've linked it below. You need so little that this will last me for ages.

Here is a link that might be useful: Now Foods Calcium Carbonate

• Kathie738 P
    11 years ago

OMG that is absolutely fantastic! Would you mind telling me your formula for the paint.
    Thanks

• nanny2a
    11 years ago

Heavens......I saw that first photo of the chair and it looked blueish on my monitor, so I thought thatâÂÂs what you were showing as your finished chair, and I was so disappointed! Sat there, thinking to myself, that youâÂÂd selected something so boring and totally out of character to work on. Then I saw the pix of Riley, and scrolled down and sighed in relief, there was the âÂÂnewâ chair!! ThatâÂÂs more like it! Such a cool print and I absolutely love what you did with the paint job. You create such unique and fun pieces - I just love that chair and wish Maine wasnâÂÂt so far away, IâÂÂd snap that up in a heartbeat!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kathie, This is the recipe that I used, which I found online 'somewhere'! I cut it down a lot as I was using just a small amount of paint from one the Behr sample jars, which are just under 8 oz.

Use 2 ounces of Calcium Carbonate to one sample size paint jar, which is 8 ounces. Mix 1/2 ounce of hot water in with the Calcium Carbonate first and stirred until it was completely dissolved and paste like (about 1 minute). Then add sample size paint and blend by hand for a few minutes.

The link below is to a blog where the owner found matches for most of the Annie Sloan chalk paint colors in Behr and Sherwin Williams colors. I bought the Behr sample pots as they are just under $3.00 each and the paint goes a long way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Altar'd Designs

• Laurie
    11 years ago

Beautiful!!
    The velveteen piping is perfect on that!

• upa_lazy_river
    11 years ago

Beautiful!

• lynn_r_ct
    11 years ago

3 - gorgeous - dogs... When I saw the post that said "Grrr" I thought something went wrong on one of your masterpieces. Should have known better.

BTW. Do you own a piper? I've wanted to get one because piping can make a huge difference in the looks of the pieces and hand piping while doable is so time consuming. , The ones I've seen are so expensive. Are they worth it?

• greatgollymolly
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful as usual.

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Fabulous! You have such an eye, and such skill to carry out your vision. That linen print is wonderful, too.

• loribee
    11 years ago

Very pretty!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank-you, ladies! Nanny, it's a very rare day that I don't use a patterned fabric. In fact, I did ONCE, as I was trying to emulate the crazy-priced RH chair linked below. My version - heavy oak with gorgeous grain in the stretcher base not visible in this photo, done in linen. Note I had to make a flax fabric pillow to add a bit of pattern. AFTER -

This was the BEFORE, in the CL ad.

Lynn, I do not have a piping foot. I make mine using my zipper foot, and find it very easy. I also do double welt cord with it, and found these directions online that may help you - http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2010/12/simple-sew-double-welt-cord/

Here is a link that might be useful: 18th C. French Burlap Chair

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing this My3dogs! I am absolutely completely gaga for it and this may be the one that sparks me to take on my own project. I LOVE the fabric, the finish and everything about it. There's not a room in my house that I couldn't imagine finding a spot for it.

It must be a beautiful thing to wander through CL and ebay with your eyes. You surely have a gift (not to mention skill)!

• teacats
    11 years ago

Brillant -- another fabulous transformation! ((and I just adore the dog too!))

You have such a great eye and hand for projects! :)

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

Just perfect again! As others have said, seeing the CL chairs, I just am amazed at how radically different they look once you put your vision for them to work! While I love the whole look that you come up with each time, on this latest one, it's the coordinating dark finish on the chair that really grabs me. I love it...as well as that linen one you posted above with all the nailhead trim. Thanks so much for sharing all the info on these. I wish you were my neighbor so I could pop over and watch in person!

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Pretty chair!

So how do you think the Behr homemade compares to AS paints?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again, my cyber friends! I'm thrilled that you like this one, as I said, it took me a while to decide that I did.

I spent longer painting this one than any other, with the fabric draped over the back, and comparing my home blend paint to the colors in it. I decided that I had to do multiple coats to make myself happy, and then reveal some of each with the 'distressing'. I even made the pillow as I couldn't get used to the 'plainness' of the cheetah fabric! I'm glad I did, as I did that midway, and it convinced me to do taupe brown piping.

Funkyart, with a name like yours, you CAN do this. With this one, only the pillow and the welting required sewing; the rest was stapling batting and fabric and gluing the welt.

Sujafr, It would be so much fun for me to share these projects with friends. It's fun to do by myself, but things like this and gardening, are more fun when you have someone to talk to as you work.

Snookums, I think the homemade was fine. The reason I chose the calcium carbonate instead of unsanded grout or plaster of Paris is that I knew they would eventually harden. I mixed this in a little cardboard container that a small grocery store sundae came in. It had a lid, and I put plastic wrap over the container, then put the lid on, and sealed it in a zip-lock bag. It's as fresh and smooth as they day I made it, last Saturday.

Teacats, this is Riley when I plopped the doggie chair back on the card table in my office/sewing room yesterday, I needed to put the arm covers on to finish it. See the front feet on the table, resting his head on them? He wants to be next to me always, but luckily has no separation anxiety.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

That's interesting you find them close enough. I have been experimenting with the PoP (using Aura Satin). Only the best, lol. I will be trying AS on my more important adventure because I know it will be quality and durable over the years because she has that covered already. But I am interested to see how they compare in looks, feel, texture, workability, even storage.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 14:03

• birdgardner
    11 years ago

Our study has curtains in your pillow fabric - now you've given me an idea for co-ordinating pillows. : )

• Kathie738 P
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for the formula and AS color matches, now I just need the garage sales to start so I can find something to try it on...btw your Britty is gorgeous!

• cliff_and_joann
    11 years ago

Another fabulous upholstery job...I saw this the other day, but was too
    rushed to post. You're getting better and better my three dogs... :)
    I have two chairs that are the exact match. They are currently
    in a guest bedroom, I should put them on Craigslist.
    keep up the great work.
    joann

• 4boys2
    11 years ago

I finally found a post that list 4 types of HMCP.
    I've tried 3 of them~and like My3dogs and this site
    I also like the calcium carbonate the best.

There is one more yet for me to try
    that calls for a water-based medium used
    instead of water.
    I think that one is more for making an actual chalkboard
    to be written on .

Anyone ever tried that ?

Here is a link that might be useful: HMCP Recipes