Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malhgold_gw

Help Choosing Dining Table Wood Finish

malhgold
12 years ago

I've been thinking of converting my family room into an eating area only. We don't use the space as a family room, even though there is seating in there. I really want a large table that seats at least 10 comfortably. My DR table seats 6-8 uncomfortably. I'm leaning towards wood, but am wondering if it would look out of place to mix wood finishes with what I have in my kitchen. I mostly see dark java/espresso finishes and don't know how that would look with the light rift cut oak island. The room is attached to the kitchen and I consider it as one space. Would you mix a different color/species of wood with the kitchen?

Current Eating/Family Room:

Kitchen:

Would you consider any of these?

Basque Java Crate and Barrel(also come in a honey color)

Big Sur Crate and Barrel

Or I was going to try and get DH to make something like this:

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

Didn't your room used to be an eating area only? I'm just curious why your family does not use the area. I like what you have now, but I also like the last table, which would be inexpensive and easy to make.
    Dee

• les917
    12 years ago

How often do you need to seat 10? What is your every day use of the space?

The reason I ask is that if you don't often need that much seating, I would look for a table with either self-storing or add-in leaves.

My thinking is that way you could have a couple of modern style wing chairs that could sit by the fireplace, and then act as head chairs when you need to seat a larger crowd. The rest of the time you still have a dual use space, but not limited as it is now to a large seating space.

Would you consider a round table instead? I could see that as a wonderful balance for all the hard angles in the space. It could have leaves, too, or just be a large table if you prefer. But you still might be able to keep a couple of chairs by the fire and then use them at the round table if needed.

A chair like this, perhaps, in a more contemporary fabric, would work with either a rectangular or round table.

Norwalk parsons wing chair

• bronwynsmom
    12 years ago

I am envious of all that space for a big table!

What I might suggest, given what you want to use the space for, and that your husband can make things, is to have three pieces...a wide (42" X 64" or so) rectangular table that seats six to eight comfortably, crosswise the way your table is now, and then a pair of demi-lunes (in this case, 42" X 21" each) that can sit together as a round game or library table in front of the fireplace. When you are feeding more people, the long table could be rotated to sit lengthwise, and the half-rounds separated and added to the ends.

And if you were having a party, the half-rounds could go against the wall, and allow people to move about.

• fillagirl
    12 years ago

I was going to suggest the same thing as Les...having two chairs flank the fireplace, and then a larger table where you can pull up more chairs. Love the idea of a round table, and love the demi-lune idea as well. You have a wonderful space, nice to have the option to use it for multiple functions.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still working on this. Do you like any of these?

48"X78"

48" round w/one leaf extends to 68"

Pine: 84"X40" extends to 124" w/2 20" leaves on ends