Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brutalism in the wrong hands.

Posted by palimpsest (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 14:19

This house, a rental, is attributed to "a student of Louis I Kahn". I wonder what his or her grades were like. In defense of the architect , many are comparatively poor when it comes to building a self-designed house--the execution of many experimental architects suffers due to lack of budget.

I am a fan of Kahn and I can see the influences but not really any of the genius.

A direct reference to Yale Library--the see-through floor is nice, but probably too hard or expensive to execute in the round.
 photo tryon5_zps14fcbf11.jpg

photo tryon2_zps7ae45166.jpg
More transparency, but a rather dangerous open stair with balusters and no rail:
 photo tryon9_zpsc76e4e92.jpg
 photo tryon13_zps28e10d7c.jpg

Brutalist in intent but the adjacencies are not so good:
 photo tryon6_zps6f3a2da1.jpg

photo tryon4_zps38af504b.jpg

Beyond the unfortunate drapes, the wall of glass is cobbled from a slider, a sheet of glass and ventilating unit, which has an air conditioner stuck in it. This is a multifactorial budget issue.
(My house has some similar cobbling of sheets of glass for windows)

photo tryon8_zps34b6f956.jpg

Bath: (conceptually pretty strong, for the genre)
 photo tryon7_zps5bb835c4.jpg

photo tryon18_zpsf041a928.jpg

More precarious steps
 photo tryon16_zpsf197efac.jpg

Just...hard to use and dangerous:
 photo tryon3_zps4b991d3e.jpg
 photo tryon15_zpsfb8f8936.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
By comparison:

photo Esherick7.jpg
 photo Esherick9.jpg

o
RE: Brutalism in the wrong hands.

I can live with ugly if it's interesting and ugly. Much of that home just looks dangerous and ugly. Nice floors in the first photo, though.

o

Beautiful floors, but the design should have never left the drawing board.

o

Eeek! It's so uncomfortable to look at the photos. Painful, even!

o

I think the wood, the tile and the copper sink are all beautiful.I love that it seems so open and sunny. I like that no one has tried to improve it. I can see where it would be like living in a piece of art -- pretty to look at, not so practical to live with it. It would need an owner who appreciates it for what it is - but that would not be me.

o

I am actually drawn to the bath and both kitchens. They remind me of my first sail boat's amenities. Compact yet very efficient, at least for a boat, and filled with lovely curves of wood.

This post was edited by roarah on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 16:43

o

The bathroom counter is more evocative of Kahn's finishes in the Esherick house. The stairway is just scary.

o

The vertiginous staircase is practically a Philadelphia midcentury hallmark. (It's a 19th c. hallmark and these houses are either remodeled 19th c. houses or on 19th footprints).

The Esherick has been on the market for years, once offered at auction (I think) through Sotheby's or Christies.

It's National Register, it's one bedroom, its practically a perfect cube. The only way that you would be allowed to add to the property would be by a separate structure tethered to the house, I think, and the lot isn't large enough to allow this. So, there is a particular buyer profile: an affluent single, or childless couple who likes the house essentially exactly how it is and doesn't mind people walking up the driveway to see a masterwork.
--This is a limited market.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here