Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deejayjay_gw

wood look vinyl click planks.

deejayjay
12 years ago

Want to know it anyone has used the wook look vinyl planks that click together. How were they to put down and how are they holding up? I know everyone here thinks wood or tile is best, but I just don't see why we should for our house. We live in a 80000.00 house on a 200,000.00 acerage. A 40 plus yr old split entry with 3 bdrm 1.5 bath. Our county has a master plan, and our home is not on it. We want to keep things nice for ourselves, but with the realization that the future of the home may be a bulldozer. We have lots of animals, and muddy tracks. Sick of dirty carpet. Anyone with experience with this type of floor?

Comments (18)

• User
    12 years ago

My mother and sister have had it for years and like it very well.

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

I don't know if it was wood click planks or not, but the following blogger used Traffic Master Allure in a wood look in her basement. I'm attaching the link to her home tour. I asked in the comments what her flooring was and she said it was easy to install and she loves it. (you might have to hit "load more" to see the response and link in the comments)

Here is a link that might be useful: I Heart Organizing Home Tour

• IRuehl
    12 years ago

I have the stuff that glues to itself all over my house. I have no issues with it. A few scuffs here and there, but over all it looks nice. Everyone who walks in thinks its real wood. Its the Allure Cherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of it in my house

• annzgw
    12 years ago

I don't know about the vinyl but we installed the laminate click-type flooring in two rooms of DS's barn. Talk about wear and tear! It has been three years and I just saw a ding in it the other day from someone dropping something sharp and heavy. I've been more than impressed with it in looks and durability.
    We even had a water leak in one area from pipes freezing during the winter, but there was no warping or swelling of the planks. We did dry it as quickly as possible and got the room heated so that probably helped.

I say go for it! Have you looked at the selections at LumberLiquidators. That's who DS purchased from.

• deejayjay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

IRuehl, You're home is beautiful. Thanks for the pictures.I'm made to feel like such a cheapo for not wanting hardwood, but someone buying my house, would want it because they had horses, etc., or because they were building a home depot here. Not because of the type floor it had. That being said, I loved seeing the picts of your beautiful floor. I currently have laminate in the kitchen and it has held up very well. They have of course discontinued our color, so it won't match anyway. I was thinking the vinyl would be even better because we wouldn't have to worry about water spills. Thanks to all for your responses.,

• elle3
    12 years ago

IRuehl, what a beautiful room! I had seen this flooring in HD and thought we could use to replace the carpeting in our finished basement. Not sure about using it over a cement floor, though. Did you install it yourself?
    It's nice to see it in a room. A VERY pretty room, btw! You have a wonderful talent. I love your blog :)

• lauriedeee
    12 years ago

I have it in my basement family room over concrete. We laid down a special plastic sheeting as per the directions first. It's holding up well and always looks nice. I like the feel of it under my feet too.

I didn't buy it from Lumber Liquidators but on their site they have customer photos of how the flooring looks. It was actually those photos that convinced me to buy it.

Here is a link that might be useful: vinyl plank flooring

• aa62579
    12 years ago

My parents put in the Earthwerks Linkwerks Rapid Clic which is considered snap together luxury vinyl plank. Link to website

So far, so good. They didn't install it, so not sure on the difficulty. I believe everything is attached to the plank, so you don't do any kind of underlayment, etc. Theirs was placed on a slab. The only pictures I have of their actual floor is when it was covered in dust from construction.

• teacats
    12 years ago

Don't know what the brand name of our wood-look plank click-together floor -- but we have it in every single room (including the two bathooms) in our small house! :)

It has held up brillantly since 2008! It is quite thick (no -- can't remember that exact measurement) and is considered to be "commercial grade" ... the installers said that they usually used it in offices and restaurants! LOL! :)

So -- you may want to check out the various "thickness" of the planks ...

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

I have the same floor as IRuehl.
    (not the click as well but 1/3 the cost)
    I did it in pine as shown in the attached link.
    I currently have it in my kitchen and master bath .
    Someday I plan on doing the whole house.
    I like the idea that they stick to each other and not the sub-floor.
    Easy to take up without damage to the sub-floor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage 8

• natal
    12 years ago

We've been thinking about it for the bathroom remodel. I don't want tile. Saw some of the SwiftLock and Pergo vinyl at Lowe's today. We were both very impressed! We're now thinking about using it to cover the tile in the laundry room too. Wish I had never chosen tile for that room.

• jane__ny
    12 years ago

I was told it doesn't hold up to moisture and warps. We just moved to Fla and I considered it. Quite a few people said if it gets wet or damp it will warp. One friend had a dishwasher leak and it ruined Pergo flooring. Had to pull it all up.

I was told it will hold up in bedrooms and livingrooms, but not to use it in baths, kitchens or anywhere near water.

As a result, I've decided to go with tile. I'm curious to hear people haven't had problems with moisture and warping.

Jane

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

Jane, it sounds like you're talking about laminate flooring (Pergo), and I'm pretty sure the vinyl being discussed here is a whole 'nuther animal...

Here is a link that might be useful: Comparison of Vinyl Plank & Laminate Plank Flooring

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

'I can't remember the brand'

whaaaaaaaaaaaat? it held up thru all of that and went down easily and you can't tell us the brand?

then we're coming to get you... we'll rip up a plank and see if it's written on the back - until then you go sit in the forum corner!

lol!

• decordummy_gw
    12 years ago

Our friends have vinyl planks (wood look) in their entranceway & love it.

We had Pergo professionally installed in a staircase about 10 years ago, and it did not hold up well at all.

When DH put in laminate (wood look) throughout the rest of the house (including kitchen), a different couple insisted that we were lowering the value of the house. They said we should put hardwood (we couldn't afford hardwood throughout). They have now had their hardwood refinished, less than 5 years after their install, because of scratches from pets.

P.S. love all the pics posted - beautiful homes.

• deejayjay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to everyone who responded. Beautiful pictures too. I'm glad to hear support out there for vinyl click planks, or even laminate for that matter. We have been very happy with the laminate in our kitchen and on our back porch, but the new vinyl click sounds like it might be even better wearing. The pictures have shown me that it can even look good too. I've heard from other people who have had trouble with laminate on stairs. We will probably put wood treads on our stairs stained to match whatever fake wood floor color we get.

• decordummy_gw
    12 years ago

"wood treads on our stairs stained to match whatever fake wood floor color"
    Thanks Deejayjay, I'm going to mention that tip to DH.