Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oofasis

Recommendations for flatware?

oofasis
13 years ago

I'm ready for a change and would like to replace my every day flatware. I'm looking for a line that has some heft (weight) to it but which also holds up well in the dishwasher without spotting or tarnishing -- and of course it has be 18/10 stainless. In the stores I can't get that kind of user feedback, but my online searches have proved daunting. There's so much to choose from, but it's valuable to me to get people's specific recommendations (or warnings!).

Do you have flatware that you've used for a while and which has held up really well? And do you remember the style name as well as the manufacturer? My online searching has shown that reviews can differ significantly for different styles from the same manufacturer.

Comments (69)

• jessicaml
    13 years ago

From the Silver Superstore website:
    "The Pearls pattern is manufactured entirely in the USA with USA-made steel, by Sherrill; the only exclusively American stainless flatware manufacturer."

The same store also has other patterns listed by what country they're made in, including some made in France.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flatware not made in China

• chinchette
    13 years ago

Oneida Sheraton. Purchased mine a year ago. Looks great. Mine is stamped made in the USA. I think that some of this pattern is made in Korea, but some is made in the USA. I picked up a lot of it on sale at Macy's. We adore it!!

• stbonner
    13 years ago

I have Oneida, most of it purchased when I got married 31 years ago. I do have rust spots on my knives.

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Thanks for this lesson in flatware--very informative.

My older made in the USA Oneida is holding up just fine but someone (either DH or the cats) looses pieces and I'm down to 1 salad fork out of 8 original.

• drybean
    13 years ago

I bought new flatware last year and did spend some time researching. It does seem that the new Oneidas are not holding up as well as the older sets, I'm not sure why. The Oneida stainless we got when we got married 9 years ago still looks OK. It is not our everyday set, we only use it for holidays and dinner parties and do run it in the dishwasher. It has a few rust spots on it.

For my new everyday set, I settled on Oona by Crate and Barrel. I really liked the weight of this set, and after 9 mos. it looks really good.

• hhireno
    13 years ago

The most interesting thing I learned here is that Mustang's cats eat salad and with a fork! Must be a very proper household.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Over 50 years ago, I started married life with 6 place settings of sterling. I didn't want to spend any $ on stainless when it could be spent on Sterling. During that first year we joined a pot luck group where you brought your own table service, so I went to Woolworth's and bought 2 very cheap settings of stainless.
    Over time and many Christmases and anniversarys that set has grown to a service for 15w ith many many serving pieces.
    It gets used every day goes into the dishwasher and only 2 pieces have found their way into the disposer. I have retrieved spoons from the sand box and once a fork from the compost pile.
    During the tail gate years I did acquire a bunch of gas station give away stainless that went to the parking lot, but that stayed in my picnic basket.
    It gets polished once a year which takes me about 2 hours.
    I still love it and over time has been amazingly cost effective.

When we were married a tea spoon of sterling cost $2.75....but our combined salaries were $836 a month....before taxes!!!
    The lesson here is buy good stuff, classic design, buy enough and you will never have to buy another set.
    Linda C

• rucnmom
    13 years ago

I also have Oneida Easton - have had it for years and years (probably 24) and still love it!

• oofasis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've checked out the various styles recommended here (lots and lots of nods for Oneida), and I liked many of them (online). The somewhat discouraging factor is that so many of you with really strong endorsements have had your flatware for a long time, no doubt before it was made in Asia.

Also, while I'm a believer in getting what you pay for, I was really hoping that a quality set of stainless flatware would cost me less than $50 per place setting -- on sale!

• chinchette
    13 years ago

Oofasi, when I wanted the Oneida Sheraton, I searched the internet for a couple of months until I got a really great sale. I think it was a lot less than $50 a place setting, but if you check any random day, they have scary prices. I think Macy's several times a year has buy 3 get one free. When I went to the store, they had a different price than what was on the internet. So they gave me the internet price AND I think it was a 20% off day in the store as well. It was a really good buy.

That particular pattern was used originally at the Sheraton hotel and is pretty fancy but still good for every day. Check Oneida's website. There may be a very good guarantee. And feeling the different sets in person makes a big difference.

• mpwdmom
    13 years ago

I bought Oneida Michelangelo years ago and still have it. Nice quality, but the design is (in my opinion) a bit dated and formal-looking, and the pieces seem small compared to newer styles. So I went on a search that took me over 6 months to find the pattern and brand I like.

The one I chose is from Crate & Barrel, the pattern is Tuscany. Oh how I love it!! It's heavy, shiny, has a modern yet classic look and it feels good in the hand. I have place settings for 12. I get a kick out of the fact that each time someone comes over to eat, they always comment about how nice it is and ask where it comes from. Even if they didn't though, I love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tuscany Flatware

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

I have Christofle's Hotel line, which is completely wonderful, but you can only buy it by the dozen.

• susieq07
    13 years ago

My Oneida (wedding gift) is still beautiful and used every day 48 yrs. now, and goes in the DW too...

• peegee
    13 years ago

Bought Oneida's Colonial pattern from their Heirloom collection over 30 years ago. (there were many lines in various grades available to chose) It was a little pricey at the time, but has held up beautifully - used everyday, finish looks just like the bigger serving pieces that get used infrequently. So happy with it, and really don't like the newer sizes that seem like shovels to me!! Really - I think the "teaspoons" in some of the newer sets are more like the size of my serving spoons!! Also, I appreciate having lots of various serving pieces and iced tea spoons, cocktail forks etc Penny

• kswl2
    13 years ago

I have Oneida Othenia for every day, it is hefty and looks great after years in the dishwasher, and we have well water.

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

My Wallace Wickham stainless from 30 years ago looks beautiful. My Wallace Wickham from three years ago, ordered online when I learned the company had begun making it again, is absolute garbage. It is thinner, rougher, grayer in color, shiny instead of brushed, lighter, and cheaper in all respects. It has rust spots. It's in the gameroom for snack emergencies during movies. Turns out it's now manufactured in China. Wallace should never have put its name on this stuff. Stay away from Wallace.

• sandra_zone6
    13 years ago

I don't know when this switch was made with Oneida, but I will tell you my Easton purchase was made in the last 4 - 5 years.

Previously I had a different Oneida set for over 25 years, but it was a more frilly style and lighter weight. I wanted something with some substance to it, not filigree. When choosing a set, I also wanted something that I could add on to in the future. I have 3 kids, so pieces get lost on occassion. I made a decision early on to choose one of Oneida Heirloom series and then after seeing them, handling them, chose the Easton set for its feel in the hand and simplicity. It truly is a nicely balanced set. And as I said before, it can be dressed up or down. I use it with my antique dinnerware for special occassions as well as my every day china.

I have well water that we have to treat for its acidity and hardness and this stuff gets run through the dishwasher at least once a day; sometimes twice. No issues and if any do come up in the future, I can replace them as needed since this is a pattern guaranteed not to be discontinued.

• lesterd
    13 years ago

We visited the Oneida Colony while on vacation last year in upstate NY and spent some time talking to one of the very long term employees during our visit to the "Going Out of Business" sale at the factory shop.

Oneida is definitely not made in the US any longer and the change occurred shortly after Sherrill Mfg took over Oneida production in 2005.

We also have 30 yr old Oneida and have no plans on replacing it.

• lkplatow
    13 years ago

We have Gorham Studio, which we got for our wedding 13 years ago. I love it -- it is a simple design and can be dressed up or down, modern or traditional. The pieces have a nice heft and have held up very well - there are a few tiny rust specks on the knife blades (from the dishwasher, I suspect), but everything else looks as good as the day we got it. We get compliments all the time on it and I will say that while my taste in a lot of things has changed over the last 13 years (I got rid of my wedding dinnerware several years ago) the flatware is something I think we'll be keeping and using forever - it's not wearing out and I love it just as much now as the day I registered for it.

I will say that about 3 years ago, I bought some replacement teaspoons because some of my original ones had disappeared. The new spoons are noticeably lighter in weight, though they are the exact same size and have the same look. They seem to be holding up just as well - it's just odd that they're so much lighter.

I'll link to a pic so you can see it, but for some reasons, pictures don't quite capture it -- they made the handles look very flat when in actuality the handles are curvy and have a really nice shape to them. They really need to be appreciated in 3D, LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gorham Studio

• itltrot
    13 years ago

Another Oneida. Can't remember the pattern. I don't really care for it any more but it still looks great after 14 years. Handwashed for the first few years (no dishwasher) and dishwasher since. No spots or tarnish.

• hhireno
    13 years ago

I guess it's funny & sad that the quality of the older Oneida probably led to the company's downfall. In this small sampling, look how many people are still using their sets 30+ years later. Since we didn't need to replace the sets I guess Oneida wasn't selling enough. It certainly shows that they were selling a quality product. And now, it appears their quality has suffered, so they won't be getting repeat customers.

I, too, have an 18 yo set of Oneida that is in great shape and I still like so no new purchases for me, making me part of the problem I guess.

• hoh2010
    13 years ago

I have absolu from william sonoma. I love the look of it, nice weight.

• oofasis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much, guys. You've been really helpful with so many responses.

It looks like Oneida stands above the rest, but then there's the NEW issue of made in China for an inferior grade. Hmm...

I'm at a loss, truly. Besides, I really didn't expect to have to pay $50 ON SALE for a place setting for every day flatware.

I have another dilemma. I'm disabled and can't get around without a wheelchair and oxygen and someone to push me. Thus, I hardly ever get to go shopping. I want to handle the pieces,see what they feel like, take notes on what I like, and then probably google reviews. No small decision, this.

Thanks so much for helping me out.

P.S. I don't know what I'm doing wrong in responding to my own post. This is the third time in as many days that I've written a response, clicked submit (or whatever) and got the message that my message went through and it offered me a link to the thread. But I sure don't see 'em. Here's hoping this time it does post, as I'm sure you'd like to be thanked for your efforts.

• sandra_zone6
    13 years ago

I can tell you that if you shop direct with Oneida, you can order a single piece of any line you like in order to shop and feel them out at home. I wonder if they'd help you out with shipping/returns if you explained your scenario to them.

Best of luck with your new flatware!

• beachlily z9a
    13 years ago

I have two sets of Dansk stainless flatware that we really enjoy. Never rust, can be dressed up or down and work really well. Both are simple and timeless.

• sashasmommy
    13 years ago

We have Lennox Pearl Platinum, they only tarnish when my husband uses them to stir his tea. He's only allowed to use plastic spoons now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flatware

• jessicaml
    13 years ago

I don't want to keep sounding like an advertisement for the Silver Superstore, but the cost issue is another reason (in addition main plus of made in USA) that I chose the Pearls pattern by Revolution/Sherrill. My pattern is currently $25 a place setting or $250 for service for 12. Granted, the patterns are limited, but the quality & price is right. Returns look pretty straightforward, too, though shipping wouldn't be refunded. I know it's nicer to be able to see things in person! I'm in a rural area and had to settle for picking a pattern without the luxury of handling it, too, but thankfully it all worked out.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

The Oneida Frost set I bought was one of those $50 per place setting, but there was a sale of "buy 1 get 2 free", so 3 place settings for $50. This was at Belk dept stores, but I imagine that it was an Oneida promotion. I have no idea if they still do this promotion, but it's worth waiting for.

I've had them about 10 years, these are my everyday and special flatware, they go in the DW, and have held up well. My sister got our Mom's silverware set long before Mom died--she entertains larger parties way more than I do, so I bought what I wanted.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

I recently swapped my "good" silverware (Oneida) to use as everyday. I inherited a set of Reed & Barton that has many place settings and tons of accessory pieces - more than I had with my good set. The Reed & Barton is several years old but had not been used and looks like new. My original "good" set is 29 years old and had been used frequently, but not daily. It still looks beautiful. I wish I could remember the name, I am thinking it is Oneida but it has been discontinued.

tina

• nostalgicfarm
    13 years ago

I have had a higher end Oneida for 5 years. It even had a heavier feel in the store. Bought it through the Oneida outlet, but I think they had it at Younkers or the higher end mall department stores. I love it. The only time I don't like how it comes out of the dishwasher is when we are out of salt in our water softener (and everything has a weird film on it then.)

• marthaelena
    13 years ago

My "good" set is Joann (Oneida). The pieces are heavy and they sell it in a few places but I bought mine at KohlâÂÂs, about 7 years ago. I spent about $70 for 3 sets (12 persons) and one of the sets had the serving pieces. My girl friends described it as sophisticated but I'd say this flatware has an understated elegance than you can use everyday or in special occasions. What I like is that they have a shiny border and a satin/brushed area.

• maddybeagle
    13 years ago

I have C&B "Gourmet" stainless, which I first got when I got married in 1992. Don't have the husband any more, but I have the flatware and it's held up beautifully :-) I don't pamper it at all. It's shiny and no piece has ever been bent or mangled. My sister and mother both liked it so much, they bought it for themselves, too. If the style isn't to your liking, you could see if you could find out who makes it for C&B and get one of their other patterns by the same manufacturer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gourmet flatware

• dorry2
    11 years ago

Did you find your stainless? I am looking for a second set of stainless for a second home and have found most everything is made in Vietnam, China and Thailand and the box does not indicate if the stainless is 18/8 or 18/10 or 18/0, so assuming it is the low end stuff or it would indicate on the box.

Anywho, I have International "Resplendence" which has worn beautifully for the last 30 years. Not a hint of rust and as shiny as the day I bought it.

I am strongly considering the Revolution Pearls. I only want to buy products made in the USA.

Also....if your stainless is magnetic, that is an indication of low quality and in all likelihood, 18/0 grade and who knows what is in the recyled steel.

I seem to have made a career the last two months trying to find quality stainless, 18/8 made in the USA.

• moon1234
    11 years ago

@dorry2

You will NOT find ANY Made In USA flatware EXCEPT for Sherril in New York. NO ONE makes it in the USA anymore.

Sherril actually purchased the Oneida factory. The flatware they produce is made on the same machines Oneida abandoned. The machine tools were almost brand new when Oneida was bought out. The new owners moved the production overseas so they could pay less in labor.

The factory in New York was actually upgraded by Oneida to a fully automated robotic system. It was actually one of the best in the world. Due to mismanagement at Oneida, in fighting of management, the company went bankrupt. The "investment company" that bought them did NOT care about the works in New York, the new machine tools, etc. They cared only how they could suck the most amount of money out of the Oneida brand.

They moved the pattern blanks, that stamp your pattern out of the metal blank, to foreign shores. First to Korea, then to Vietnam, then to Indonesia and now to China. It is so sad.

Oneida today sells on their long history and PREVIOUS reputation. Their current pieces are NOT the same quality they were before. The PRICE is also higher than it used to be.

If you want the Oneida quality that was from the Made in USA pieces your only option now is to buy on e-bay or local estate sales. Search for Oneida USA on e-bay and you will find piecese and sets.

I have the Michelangelo pattern. It is ornate, lovely and beautiful. The Made in USA pieces I have sourced from E-Bay have a NOTICEABLY better quality to the pattern. It is deeper, better defined, etc. You can pick out the foreign made pieces just by looking at them next to a USA made piece. This is no doubt due to the inferior presses in foreign countries and the unskilled labor used to operate them.

Watch this video of the Onieda, current Sherril, factory in New York. This was done for the "How it's made" show on cable tv. The pattern they are making at the 2 minute mark is Michelangelo. Sherril contracted for Oneida for a while to make this pattern in New York as it was their most expensive and intricate pattern. After a few years Oneida terminated the contract with Sherril.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATcdMqwAEAk

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

>no doubt before it was made in Asia

Chinese made Oneida Belmont, cost $1.86 a setting as a grocery store special. Had it about six years, love it, not a problem ever. Takes dishwashing much better than our old Henning Koppel for Georg Jensen stainless does, for sure.

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

I've had my Gorham stainless for probably 30+ years and it's still great. Of course the pattern is discontinued and it's got it's own patina but I still love it. My DD has had her Reed and Barton (one of the higher quality 18/10 patterns) for over 10 years and it's been good too. before you buy, pick up a fork and knife, feel the weight and balance of it in your hand and you can really tell the differences in a little while.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Very interesting Moon. I have the Oneida Louisiana pattern, made in USA, and it's still lovely. I'm looking at Sherrill now, their prices are good.

• sumac
    11 years ago

Go with Made in USA! The info Jessica gave is right on. I purchased from them and the service was fantastic. The quality is great. The selection is a little limited, but I'm sure one of the patterns will appeal. And you'd be doing the right thing by helping to keep manufacturing jobs in the USA.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Interesting link for flatware fans:

Here is a link that might be useful: history of the spoon

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I have a Gorham pattern that is roughly 30 years old too. That makes me feel old, but I bought it before I was married. I now have a second set that is also Gorham. I bought it after redoing my kitchen -- just wanted something new and bought more place settings since we had 16-20 people often enough to justify it. I collected the sets needed from Ross, Marshall's Home Goods and online -- snapping them up when I learned it was a discontinued pattern. I didn't notice where it was made, but we have used the heck out of that for a few years now and I love it. My original set was used about 25 years, washed in the DW and is still in great shape.

My mom's was Reed & Barton and I know it was washed in the dishwasher for years.

I suspect the OP may have a new set by now, but I would find it very hard to pick something out online.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I bought some extra Oneida forks on ebay today, all made in USA, glad to have that source. Now I'll have this pattern forever, lol!

• sas95
    11 years ago

Thanks for the information about Sherrill. I hadn't heard of them. I placed an order on the phone today and the customer service was great. If the quality matches the service, I'll be a happy camper.

• susieq07
    11 years ago

My everyday flatware is Oneida, 18/10 and was a wedding gift 50 yrs. ago, it goes in the DW and it still looks like the day I opened this lovely gift from a dear aunt & uncle long gone now.

• joyce_6333
    11 years ago

I have two "every-day" sets. Reed and Barton (Heritage - Perspective) and Towle. I got the Towle as a wedding gift 47 yrs ago, and it still looks like new. Reed and Barton I've had for a long time, and it still looks like new, too. Both are 18/10, sturdy, with nice hollow handle knives, but I like the design of the Reed and Barton better. The Reed and Barton is inexpensive, and on Amazon it is less than $200 (w/o chest) for a 65 piece set. I have 24 place settings which is nice for large gatherings.

• crazymomof4
    11 years ago

I thought replacing my 27 yr old Reed and Barton flatware wouldn't be more complicated that choosing a pattern! When I began to read negative reviews of the "better name" manufacturers, I started to research and it brought me to this thread. Now I get it. I agree with another poster here who said many who have been thoroughly happy with their flatware purchased it many years ago, BEFORE outsourcing and recycled materials became an issue.
    No, offense, but the patterns offered by Revolution are not my style.
    My thoughts going into this were "don't go cheap, stick to 18/10 from a reputable name and you will be pleased" Now, I'm not so sure that holds true! At this point, I would rather pay a little for a set that will get rust spots and discolor than pay A LOT for a set that does the same.

Does anyone know if countries like Indonesia, Vietnam, Korea are known to produce a better quality of steel than China?

• tfm1134
    11 years ago

We have the Oneida Wordsworth and love it. Great pattern for casual or elegant

• kburnett12
    9 years ago

I bought Oneida Community Stainless flatware "Frost Fire" in 1964 and it is still in perfect condition

• Yayagal
    9 years ago

I have Cuisinart, made in U.S. and it's fantastic. Here's a link to the one I have, it's a nice heavy weight, the waves give the handle a place to rest your fingers and not slippery, they're always gleaming after dish washer and the price is right at the site below. My daughter has had them for years. I just got them a few months ago.http://www.wayfair.com/Cuisinart-Juille-20-Piece-Flatware-Set-CFE-01-J20-L1034-K~CUI2644.html?refid=TFCPC49-CUI2644

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Buy flatware from restaurant supply Web sites. They have EVERYTHING, great designs, every one under the sun, 18/10, and you can buy ONLY what you want, not a set. I get mine from mainesupply.net.

• sas95
    9 years ago

Yayagal, I don't believe Cuisinart flatware is made in the US. The set you linked is made in China.