Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olychick2

Unique ways to hide tv

Olychick
10 years ago

Seems like one of the topics that comes up over and over again is where to place tv and/or how to hide it or lessen its impact. I was searching for something else and saw this. Seemed worth posting. If the rustic look isn't for you, maybe graphic fabric panels or??

{{!gwi}}

Comments (21)

• madeyna
    10 years ago

I thought about a shadow box with doors that open. Or shadow box with a mirror that the tv shows threw when on .They have that where dh works.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

That is creative. But I gotta say, I personally don't think that looks better than a TV would look.

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

I love that barn door tv door hide, olychick. I love cabin, barn, real wood, rustic decor. Thanks for showing this, I've seen those as big doors but not a tv hideaway :)

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I've seen those as well as a "to the floor" pair of barn doors over a TV. I personally like what I came up with better. 2 panels slide to the left, 1 to the right. They open and close with one finger. Copper is repeated throughout our interior and exterior. The door to the right of FP was made from a wood and metal shutter I found. It hides the DISH equipment and DVD storage.

Here is a link that might be useful: TV Interior Barn Doors

• Olychick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Allison, I love what you did.

• sochi
    10 years ago

Very cool idea, I like it.

We have our TV behind our couch in a sofa table. It is totally concealed in the cabinet when not in use. We have a remote that raises it up out of the cabinet when we want to watch. It is a perfect solution for us.

• sukiii
    10 years ago

Wow, I love this. May be I could also print some pics on it, then it will be oil painting when it is closed. But will turned out to be TV after opening. Wow!

• bronwynsmom
    10 years ago

Allison, nice to see you again.
    I always want to come live in your house.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I don't have a pic on line but in a mag I saw a collection of gold framed botanicals in an array of like 6 x 4...all the frames were touching....what wasn't seen was the hinges and they folded back like shutters to reveal the TV behind.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Thanks, Oly.

LOL Bronwynsmom. You can come visit anytime, but now is not a good time - unless you LOVE pollen!

My first idea was to order a screen and make it work. Found one at Gump's but returned, since the colors were not as shown online. Then I searched for wallpaper that didn't disappear when standing in the kitchen. Nothing. Thought about artwork, but it would have to be cut - too large to just take to one side. Can't go up due to speaker. Then about 3am one night it hit me - sliding panels, copper. Duh....

Annie, I had that photo saved too! They opened up like v^v^v^.

• bronwynsmom
    10 years ago

Thanks, Allison, but we are quite well supplied with pollen just now. :>)

• arbpdl
    10 years ago

I love this one; but suspect I could have it made for less, and if you like the rustic look, old house windows would be perfect!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hide the TV

• arbpdl
    10 years ago

This one is cool but a bit pricey

Here is a link that might be useful: Hidden Vision

• geokid
    10 years ago

Such great ideas! Love the PB one.

Is this similar to what you were thinking, annie and allison?

[Traditional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Annapolis Interior Designer Gina Fitzsimmons ASID

This is a great idea too, from Horchow.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

It's similar to that but fancier. I used to have it bookmarked on the framing website that made it. I'll see if I can locate in my spare time (ha ha). They also used it in an ad in back of magazines (Architectural Digest, Southern Accents and/or Veranda) for several years.

This isn't it, but pretty:

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by allison0704 on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 15:39

• allison0704
    10 years ago

This isn't it either, but very similar. I remember it having more frames connected and in a formal living room:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Bingo.

{{!gwi}}

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Yup, that was it! Great job finding it!

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I had plenty of time as I was being held captive by grand baby sleeping next to me on sofa. ;D

• Olychick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was looking at this thread again, thinking about if there is any way I could ever have a tv in my LR, and somehow I ended up on Pinterest and found this. There are more great ideas, so I'm linking it for others looking for tv solutions. I'm hoping others can read pinterest even if not a member?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hiding TV