Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hanging art on brick without drilling?

Posted by flyleft (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 14:00

Does anyone know any way to hang something that weighs about 10 lbs on our brick fireplace wall without drilling a hole? It's in the living room and I'd really prefer not to have to fix a masonry hole when we leave. I can't believe there isn't something out there that can do this. We have pretty deep groutlines, so maybe is there something that latches onto the bricks? I don't want to rest it on the mantel, I want it up higher.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hanging art on brick without drilling?

O.K., so after I post I decide to search google a little more specifically and found this below. Has anyone used it? (scroll down--it's at the bottom of the page)

Here is a link that might be useful: little slap on forehead

o

i have a clear plastic wreath hanger on our stone fireplace(that looks similar to the hangers in link) that would work better on brick-they're made for brick!!! just to make sure it stayed secure in the stone, i put a dab of clear epoxy on the back....has stayed tight for a couple of years and can hold easily 10lbs.

o

Great idea, busybee--putting epoxy (or some removable adhesive maybe) on the back of it so it will definitely stay. Thanks!

o

I use this clamp for bricks outside and inside of the house. No drill, but you have to make sure the clamp catches a good edge of the brick.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.improvementscatalog.com

o

I have those brick clips holding up several things around the house. They're holding up a large (22") clock over my fireplace and also a decorative pocket vase outside on my front porch. Just as mrsgym says, you just have to make sure that the clamp catches a good edge of the brick.

Helene

o

Thanks, mrsgym & blubird/Helene...I looked at those but the eyes for where the hooks would have to go are too tiny for the rather thick opening, unfortunately. I've written the co. that makes the one I found earlier --maybe they're narrow enough. This piece has pre-attached eyes I have to use. But I'll remember the improvements ones for when I need them for something else. They sound strong!

o

I used 3M outdoor double-stick foam tape to hang a metal piece in the patio area in Florida. I expected it to leave a mess but it came down easily when we moved. That was a painted stucco surface. I am guessing your bricks are raw. I know the stuff would hang whatever, but I am not sure how much yuck it would leave behind when you try to remove it.

o

Flyleft,

You mentioned that the piece you wanted to hang has pre-attached eyes for hanging. Could you attach picture hanging wire between the attached eyes, then use one of the aforementioned brick hangers to suspend the piece?

Helene

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here