Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iruehl_gw

Need Help Picking Finishes Kitchen! PICS!

IRuehl
12 years ago

I am in need of some advice from some of the super skilled and sharp eyes on this forum. I love reading here, learning so much! But I need some advice, I cannot make up my mind! I am adding a link to a post my blog that has pictures of what I have so far, Like painted cabinets (White Dove by Benjamin Moore) and what I need help deciding on! Please check it out, and comment on what you think I should go with! Thanks Gals! Guys?

http://wp.me/p1MmG7-bX

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen, And Possibilities

Comments (24)

• amykath
    12 years ago

I like the oil rubbed bronze everything and carrying the wood floors into the kitchen. Its a timeless seamless look.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I also would carry the cherry floors into the kitchen. I am normally a nickel faucet person, but the oil-rubbed ronze might look better with your countertop. I like white subway tile (always a classic), but not sure how that would look with your counter. I do think the brown-toned tile would compete with the counter, though.

• natal
    12 years ago

Oil rubbed bronze hardware, white subway (the other would look very busy with your countertop choice) cherry floors, and I'd choose the nickel or even chrome faucet. I could be wrong, but I don't think ORB faucets will stand the test of time. They're more likely to fall into the dated category.

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I appreciated all the different perspectives!

• rmcdaniel
    12 years ago

I would do the wood floors and the oil rubbed bronze faucet and hardware (it looks best with your new counters). I would do the white subway tile backsplash but do an accent strip to bring in the counter colour. In our last kitchen we did two liner strips in "peanut butter" (a caramel colour) glass tile to accent our wood cabinets and counter similar to yours. When the house was for sale we got so many positive comments from people about it! I got the tile on eBay and it was REALLY cheap, so we got lots of bang for our buck.

• les917
    12 years ago

Are you replacing the cabinet hinges? If so, I would consider everything in the ORB. If not, then you need to do the hardware on the cabinets in the same finish as the hinges.

ave you considered adding some trim moulding to all the doors and drawer fronts to add some interest to the cabinets by creating panels?

As for the faucets, I am wondering if the last one you showed in the black also comes in ORB? It is the most attractive and graceful of the faucets you have shown.

Your counters are very pretty. I would continue the wood flooring.

I would paint the kitchen walls, rather than doing either tile. I think the subway tile is cold and doesn't work with your counters. The other one is going to compete. You can find a wonderful color for the walls that will bridge all the cold of the white and stainless and the warmth of the ORB, counter and floor, and bring some extra personality into the space.

Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! The hinges, well thats a funny story. I am doing this on a broke as a joke budget. They were a bright goldish/brass, so I super cleaned them, sanded and spray painted the in ORB paint. They are not permanent, but until I get the $$$ to replace them they work alright. So I am not worried about anything matching with them now, they will be replaced in the color finish I end up going with.

As for the back splash, I have to have one. Thing with the counter tops is a little odd. They are bar tops, we got 2 12' and a 8' section for a 100 from a man who bought a lot from a closing business. So we are cutting the back lip off, and using them as regular tops. Without a backsplash, I worry about water against the back wall, as I am always cooking/spilling and so on.

Thank you all for all the different suggestions! It really helps with ideas and different thought, getting me out of a design rut caused by lack-o-funds

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think the universe had decided on the pull finish! haha! Pictures...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pull Photos

• artydecor
    12 years ago

Fate did decide! I'm of the opinion that if you are patient and keep looking, the right thing at the right price will come along. Have you checked target's website for matching knobs? I love the painted walls in your home, you're very talented. You should hire yourself out.
    When I replaced my ugly leaky 1970's kitchen faucet, I researched finishes and the ORB is not as long-lasting or easy to maintain as nickel or chrome. This is what I bought, it was fairly inexpensive on Amazon, and we love it. It was very easy to install, and we've had it nearly a year with no probs:

Here is a link that might be useful: delta leland faucet

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! I love to paint, and love being cheap, so painting the walls was alot better than buying art, and its my art, so I feel its more 'us'. I like that faucet! I have no problems mixing finishes. So far, my door knobs are all ORB, My pulls and knobs will be ORB and most of my light fixtures and bathroom sparkles are brushed nickel. With the stainless in the kitchen, I feel any thing I do in a silver-ish tone will tie in. I looked for the matching knobs, but I may just go hunting to find some in the same finish, but maybe different style.

We also scored a nice new stainless steel hood for 50$ Check it out!

http://thisrandomranch.wordpress.com/2012/04/04/hanging-out-in-the-hood/

Here is a link that might be useful: Hood!

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thought i'd share what the pulls on the drawers look like all put in. still need to find knobs!

Here is a link that might be useful: pulls are up!

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Found knobs!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Target Oil Rubbed Bronze Kitchen Cabinet Pulls

• Annie Deighnaugh
    12 years ago

Nice kitchen and nice selections. I agree with everyone else including running an accent strip of tile through the subway tie to pick up the countertop color...I esp like glass tile which comes in lovely colors. And remember, you buy a sheet...let's say 12x12, and then cut it maybe 3 tiles wide so one sheet gets you 4 linear feet of accent tile...so it's not as expensive as you think.

Where I disagree is on flooring. While I love the look of a hardwood floor, I worry about durability in a wet and well trafficked environment.

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Since your kitchen is narrow, would you ever consider sheet vinyl? I put it in my bathroom and now I wish I had it in the kitchen which is wood. The light color really expands the room and mine has a foam base so its very comfy to stand. I purchased mine at Lowes.

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! both flooring options are vinyl. one is a vinyl tile, the wood lookin one is vinyl planks :)

• bronwynsmom
    12 years ago

Yes, in a small kitchen that is visible from other rooms, carrying the same floor through into the kitchen will make it seem more spacious and all-of-a-piece.

I'd add another suggestion, if you'd like to consider it. I would paint the lower cabinets in a rich brown/bronze - the darkest tone in your new countertops would be a good choice - and leave the upper ones white. I also wouldn't add surface molding to unpaneled doors...they collect dirt, and ease of cleaning is probably something you want in a full life.

Since your kitchen is visible from both sides, dark lower cabinets on a wood floor will feel more like furniture in a room that is part of the whole house.

And for that same reason, I would consider carrying the wall color from your family room or dining room into the kitchen as well, to bring the spaces together. You could also use the wallcolor on the upper cabinets in a satin finish, if you want to fully integrate the kitchen into the plan.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    12 years ago

Vinyl is terrific...no worries then...do th wood look, if it looks like wood. Some of the flooring out there does a really lousy job of looking like wood and its worse than going with a vinyl that knows its vinyl.

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the imput! I think we are going to keep the cabinets white, i jsut finished painting them, and love the white look. :) They were dark before, and the kitchen looked tiny. The walls in the kitchen and breakfast nook are the same green as the formal living room that leads into in. I have thought about painting it the same as the family room (Contemplation by behr) But the old man said no more blue! LOL. He is a 'green man' I guess. i think I may just run the vinyl wood look like was suggested. It looks like real wood, and I used it through out my entire house. (This is a cheaper 'starter' house, so no point dumping big $$$ into it, if i will not be getting it back) I also got the hood up, makes the space so much larger! Check it out!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoods up!

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We went with a stainless faucet, the Leland. I got pictures up ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: faucet

• artydecor
    11 years ago

Oh, good! I personally like mixing things up. I'm sure you'll get it to work with your other finishes. The Leland is a really nice faucet, excellent buy.

• Mick Mick
    11 years ago

I am going to be completely different from everyone else. I love polished chrome faucets. Every room needs a little bit of jewelry.

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like the polished chrome look too, but my husband is anti shine. So we meet in the middle a lot! I have had my eye on a few decor items from home goods that has that sparkle, when the hard work is done, I can add the rings and blings!

:) I always like mixed finishes, as long as they are not totally random, so I keep using the same 3 in my house, they all kinda speak to each other.

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We got the counter tops up, if you wanna see....

Here is a link that might be useful: Counter Tops & How To!!

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purchased the back splash. Wanna see? I also put up some pictures I gathered from across the web of other tile jobs done the same way, still don't know if I want to use white or black grout. ugh.

Here is a link that might be useful: back splash picked, inspiration pictures too