Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
movinginva_gw

Can an outdoor bench be used indoors?

movinginva
12 years ago

This may be a silly question, but can it be done if decked out with a pretty cushion and pillows?

Comments (8)

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

Sure - why not! It might not be the most comfortable piece of furniture in the house, but it's definitely do-able. I've even seen a lot of vintage garden pieces given new life as indoor furniture.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Hmm, in what kind of space? And in what kind of a house?

The one thing that is hard to tell from the photo is what the back looks like. If you see the back, it might look very much like an outdoor sofa. Note, too, it has no back cushions. It will not be very comfy. Lastly, it looks kind of deep, almost day bed like.

I would def want to sit on it first!

• movinginva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That particular bench is 30inches deep so I am guessing that it will be a bit more comfortable than most. If I decide to go that route then I will definitely go to the store and sit on it first.

I am debating going with a bench for my living room in a ranch house. It is one of the options I am looking at for my living room which is very narrow (and which I have moaned about on the forum quite a few times). We have a couch, and I have been looking at love-seats, but most of them are just too wide. I am also looking at settees as an option, but can't seem to find a style that I think will look okay in the space. We currently have a tan colored leather couch that sits against a bay window which has woven blinds as the window covering.

Since the space is small, I figured a bench would give additional seating that you can spread out on a bit, but not make the space look too cluttered.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

It could work depending on the style of what else is in the room. Just plunking an outdoor bench in a room with otherwise traditional furniture won't work IMO.

Have you looked at apartment sized furniture? It's smaller scale and sofas are not as deep. You also might find a chaise that works for additional seating and would be smaller scale and comfortable.

• Fun2BHere
    12 years ago

Another option for additional seating would be square ottoman-type stools or a fabric-covered storage bench. Both are usually about 20" deep and are pretty comfortable seating for conversation, but not so much for lounging.

• movinginva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That particular bench is 30inches deep so I am guessing that it will be a bit more comfortable than most. If I decide to go that route then I will definitely go to the store and sit on it first.

I am debating going with a bench for my living room in a ranch house. It is one of the options I am looking at for my living room which is very narrow (and which I have moaned about on the forum quite a few times). We have a couch, and I have been looking at love-seats, but most of them are just too wide. I am also looking at settees as an option, but can't seem to find a style that I think will look okay in the space. We currently have a tan colored leather couch that sits against a bay window which has woven blinds as the window covering.

Since the space is small, I figured a bench would give additional seating that you can spread out on a bit, but not make the space look too cluttered.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Have you looked at Pottery Barn's furniture for small spaces? I agree with the comfort factor. Also, I am not a fan of loose pillows. Unless this bench will be used only for company, it will always look messy. You are certainly not going to sit on it with the pillows so artfully arranged.
    My vote: Keep this in mind, but keep looking.

• sweeby
    12 years ago

My opinion is that it can be a very attractive look (I actually have one along those lines inside my house) but that Ellendi is right about the loose pillows not actually being very functional.

In my experience, it's not hard to keep them nicely arranged -- but that's probably because the couches are the least comfortable seats in the house (deep front to back and the loose pillows), which means they are the least-used seats.

But I do like the look. So if the particular sofa you're looking at IS comfortable, and the foam in the cushions is really good, I'd so go for it. But be REALLY truthful about the comfort factor.