Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Bean Bag Chairs

lucillle
10 years ago

I confess, I have one. Since my house is so small I've been considering rehoming it, because it is 5 feet across.
After some consideration, not only am I going to keep it but I'm going to buy a different color prettier replacement cover.
I think that no matter how one decorates them they are sort of a large shapeless mass.
But nothing is to me as comfortable as flopping down on the beanbag chair (a ShaggyBag 'Big Daddy') with a glass of iced tea after mowing the yard.
I guess I'm not willing to give up true comfort.

Comments (16)

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

My son would love one.

The web site says the Big Daddy seats 3 - 4 adults - seriously? For one 6-ft-tall person, would a Junior size be adequate?

The only bean bags I've seen in years are the cheapo ones for sale at Walmart or Kmart, for little kids - not something my son could use. Thanks for your review!

• lucillle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am one person and would not want just a junior size beanbag. There is something very nice about sprawling back on this large one.
    I don't let the dogs get on it but of course the cat does. I use the little hand held vacuum on it but unzip and wash the cover every few months. It's very sturdy.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Thanks! I'm trying to picture 3 or 4 regular-sized adults on a beanbag of any size! All I can envision is 4 people with their backs to each other.

My sons live in a college dorm - I don't know if they have room for a huge beanbag.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I helped a neighbor transport one of these; she bought it second hand. I don't get the appeal of these things at all.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was of that same mind. But the bean bag was originally in the upstairs bedroom for the boys when they visit and stay. I dragged it downstairs for some reason one time, sat in it a few times and it never went back up.

• Fori
    9 years ago

They can be really comfortable if you are the sprawling type. And the type that doesn't mind low seating. A nicer, washable cover is a must!

If I can find a way to keep my dog off it, I'll get a new one. (He's not allowed on indoor furniture and he doesn't even try, but somehow he missed the memo on beanbags.)

I also love a good comfy papasan chair. But those can be quite challenging to get into with a cup of coffee and a laptop.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I got my DD the large furry zebra patterned bean bag from Pottery Barn Teen. I knew it would probably live in my living room so I bought the brown and cream one that works with my furniture better than the bright white and black one. It's huge and takes up a lot of floor space but she loves it!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I bet it is comfortable, but I would have to have everything I could possibly want or need within arm's length because I doubt I would be able to get out of it without a winch. Ha.

• louvellejohns
    9 years ago

I do agree completely with cyn427! And they may spruce up the right place if it goes by the look you're going for (which is lounge-y, laid back and relaxed) I got an oversized one from https://www.soothingcompany.com/bean-bag-chairs/sofa-bean-bags.html and I think it's supposed to fit in like, 3 people but when I'm on it I'm like, "NOPE, ain't no one else sitting with me here!" haha they're just sooo darn comfy!

Here is a link that might be useful: oversized bean bag chairs

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Hey~ The one you posted for $530.00
    is at Amazon for $176.00...
    Oh wait ...Kmart for $155.
    And the price is dropping.....

Stay away from Soothing Co........
    But thank-you for stopping by !!!

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

We have a Love Sac, a giant, foam-filled bean bag-ish chair. A friend worked for them and gave it to us about 10 years ago. It is the most popular piece of furniture in our house. DS and his friends are often here, and "The Sac" is almost sacred to them. Our living room is boy world for the most part, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Next year when they've all gone to college, we will get new furniture and carpeting, but for now I am happy to see them in there lounging and laughing.

I'm not sure what will become of the Sac..DS will probably want to take it to college. :)

Ours has a cover with Teddy Bears all over it..I should get a new cover!
    http://www.lovesac.com/sacs/moviesac/moviesac-with-blackbear-phur-cover.html

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I think this thread was revived with spam, but whatever. I have one of those ridiculous Pottery Barn fur ones. I love it! It's a great movie watching chair.

and yeah, sometimes I have to roll out of it on my knees, ha!

• erinsean
    9 years ago

Years ago we bought a bean bag chair for our teen....it was used so much the "beans" started leaking out. I don't know how many times I sewed up the seams, plus added more "beans" to it.....When he wasn't home, I sat it in to watch TV. So comfortable. Sadly, it finally wore out.

• Chadoe3
    9 years ago

The hubby wants to build a home theatre room, and he's talking about getting one of these. I think it might be kind of ... fun. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sumo Lounger

• trueblue89
    9 years ago

@melle_sacto we had the same issue with some cheap bean bag we bought at walmart. Didn't last more than a year (although our boys were pretty rough with them). My neighbor told me to get a jaxx bean bag (my boys are getting them for christmas this year). she said they wash well and has lasted quite well even with her teenage boys and dog.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK