Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

pillow inserts, making own

Lyban zone 4
9 years ago

I need quite a few pillows and at least three are euro size .
I find them expensive and was wondering if I could make my own.
This would be good because then I could make them exactly the size I want which is not as square as euro but still long and maybe a bit shorter in height.
What do I buy for fill, soft but not sloppy.
Does anyone know what I could use.
Any cheaper to buy bedroom pillows and use the stuffing from them.
Thanks for any advice

Comments (7)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

You can buy pre-made pillow forms if they have the sizes you are looking for...this is the easiest....no stuffing needed. If you want odd sizes then you can buy big bags of dacron stuffing at fabric stores. Euro pillows should be readily available....BBB, Target, Kohls, Penneys. I made two Euro covers last year...can't remember where I bought the pillows.

• blubird
    9 years ago

Places like Joann's and walmart carry big boxes of poly stuffing to make your own euros. I've found that even among "standard" euro fillers, size varies.

It's easy enough to make your own fillers using inexpensive muslin or sheeting. I measure the pillow cover, in your case the euro, and make my filler cover an inch larger in length and width (it fills the cover more fully; if you want a softer floppier look, make the filler cover's finished dimensions the same size as the outer cover. Also add your desired seam allowance. If you're using a sewing machine, 1/2 in seams means you need to add another inch. I usually serge my filler fabric, so I only add 1/2 inch for seam allowance in each dimension.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info. I have some cushions at home that have no give.
    I do not know what the filler is.
    For example if I punch them, they are kind of hard and do not leave any indentation at all.
    I know they we're cheap cushions.
    So I do not think I need down, but will this poly stuffing you talk about be softer or at least leave some indentation when punched.
    Maybe my inserts are all foam, I guess I should really cut one open to see.
    I really do not want whatever I have now.

• blubird
    9 years ago

The poly stuffing definitely has give as long as you don't stuff the filler covers super full. There is a technique to stuffing - you grab a handful and then tear it apart with your hands before stuffing. This gives the fibers some space for fluffiness ;-).

Helene

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

If you bought down pillows (at a fabric store) they could be shaped into what you want. They feel and look really luxurious. I have tried using fiberfill and to me they always feel lumpy - although a little less so if you put a layer or two of the bonded stuff (that you buy by the yard) around the inside filler.

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

I think Ikea's pillow forms are cheaper than making your own.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

If you like the polyfill you could buy it and make your own. I only like down inserts. I'm sure it could be done, but not sure where you would get the down!