Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arizonarose_gw

Is this picture too BIG?

arizonarose
15 years ago

Our last house had cathedral ceilings and I had a HUGE wall for this picture. Here i'm thinking it may be too large for the wall. What do you think, should I replace it with something more in scale?

Comments (40)

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

No, it will work but lower it a few inches.
    In my dining room I have a big picture also.

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thought it was too high . DH always hangs things higher than I like.

Your picture looks nice with the grouping like that! :-)

• artlover13060
    15 years ago

I agree, it needs to be a little lower. Make the space above the paintings a little taller than the space below the painting. Beautiful painting, BTW.

• User
    15 years ago

I think it's great in this space! Reminds me of Georgia O'Keeffe's work. But yes, it needs to go just a little bit lower.

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, the picture is definitely gonna get lowered. Am I the only one that has a DH that likes to hang stuff way up there? He does it on the outside of the house too.

Thanks artlover & A Jen for the back-up!

• johnmari
    15 years ago

One of my pet deco peeves is always too-small artwork and that's a good big "oomphy" piece. One completely random thought that's totally unsolicited and you're welcome to tell me to stuff it, but have you considered a silver or black frame for that instead of gold? You have kind of a black-and-silver thing going on there and the gold frame doesn't quite fit as well into the mix, and either black or silver would look very nice with the artwork. You wouldn't need to buy a new frame, just spray-paint the old one since the size and shape are fine.

BTW, I always had to hang pictures "too high" above couches and other such furniture when our kitty Random was still alive - she loved to get up on the furniture and rub her face against the corners of pictures. She would push even heavy frames off kilter and even wore the gilt right off the bottom corners of one frame! I figured it was a rule I would happily throw out the window to accomodate my beloved cat as part of the family.

Poochie really needs a black leather dog bed though! :-)

• bettycbowen
    15 years ago

If its a good painting, there is no such thing as "too big"!!!

• caminnc
    15 years ago

I think I read the standard is 6"-12" above the hightest part of the sofa. But more than anything you need some paint!!!

• artlover13060
    15 years ago

I think the reason for the 6 - 12" that carminnc is talking about is so you don't bump your head on the artwork. That's a good point, but being more aesthetic than practical, personally I would hang it where it looks good, and I certainly wouldn't mention to DH about the bumping-the-head thing. If he's anything like my DH that would be all the ammunition he would need to keep hanging pictures too high for the next 20 years. LOL

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

johnmari , I know what you mean about the gold & silver thing I have going on ( there's more that you can't see ) The lamps are pewter, from our other house. All the door knobs fixtures etc here are gold. I'm trying to ignore this right now.

The painting is stretched canvas. Do you think I could mask it off and paint the frame black? I wonder how hard that would be.

artlover i'm cracking up about the ammunition. That's exactly what would happen!
    caminnc, are you referring to the *white* walls? But...I like them this way. The whole house is cream color and It works for me. Although after looking at some of the beautiful homes here I sometimes get the urge for color.

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

I like it but agree it's slightly too high.

• ronbre
    15 years ago

the picture is beautiful but remove the star/sun/moon thing..it is distracting

• brutuses
    15 years ago

arizona I was once afraid of color and then I was set free. LOL If you want to see what a transformation color can make, go look at Sheesharee's transformation just recently completed. Color just makes every thing look so much more vibrant and important and that's my final words on the subject of color.

The piece of art is very pretty with its' abundance of color.

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

brutuses, where is Sheesharee's transformation? I'd love to see it.

I guess it is a color-fear thing. We have the open concept going on and I don't know how to make the kitchen and LR areas different colors. So, I just figure the cream color works, and I add colorful accessories.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Wait a minute, your Dh hangs your pictures for you???

It is a nice picture. I'm eager to see how it turns out should you decide to implement these good suggestions. You should have trouble painting the frame. I have successfully done the same on several stretched canvas frames.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Love the painting! I agree about lowering it a bit, and definitely paint the frame! Good suggestions.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Here you go arizona, shee's link

Here is a link that might be useful: Sheesharee's room transformations

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

I agree that a little color on the walls will do wonders for the room and complement the painting. The cream walls and dark furniture make the room look a bit harsh, and I hate to say it, kind of like a rental or apartment.

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

Yes, much lower. I'd hang it no more than three or four inches above the sofa back, so that the sofa and the picture become one composition. I wouldn't try to mask painted canvas, for fear of pulling off paint.

And would you consider painting just the wall behind the sofa in a rich color...perhaps the warm golden tone or the terra cotta that I think I am seeing in the picture? You have a natural starting and stopping point with the pillar and the corner, and I think it would look wonderful, and make the painting a show-stopper.

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

brutuses, thanks for the link. I see what you mean, I just
    love Sheesharee's colors!

mustangs, yes, he hangs things for me. Actually alot of stuff I could hang myself but he insists he can do it better. lol! I'm a tiny nail person and he likes to use big screws and toggle bolts! help! lol

hostagrams thank you! Still undecided about what to do w/the frame.

terriks, yup I hear ya...a rental. ewwww. What I'd really like is new furniture but that's not in the budget at this time so i guess painting is the best solution. I like bronwynsmom's suggestions the best. Painting the wall behind the sofa would be an easy fix.

Thanks you guys, for your interest and taking the time to give advice. I so appreciate it!

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

I'm glad you like the idea of painting the wall.

Now, as your marital counselor, let me tell you about Floreat picture hangers. They are the only things I use. (No, I have no financial interest in them.) They range from 10 to 75 pound sizes, and every size is designed to be used with the same small pin-like nails. The smaller sizes use one, and the largest ones use three. They are easy to pull out and yet very strong, and leave only tiny holes in the wall. So you, Miss small-nail, and your DH Mr. screws-and-toggles, can be happy!
    Here is a link to my source for them. Ziabicki has by far the best prices, but you can find other sources if you don't want to buy them by the box. I find that most things can be hung with the two smaller sizes, and I usually use two for each picture, because I hate having to straighten pictures!
    There are other brands that use the same idea, but none of them is as good, in my experience. Continue to the second and third pages on this site to see the ones that carry the heavy weights, and you'll see what I mean.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floreat hangers

• brutuses
    15 years ago

browny, I saw those on a web site I was looking at for decorative hangers and wondered about them. I like the fact that they are very small. I'll give them a try. Thanks for the referral.

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bronwynsmom . Oh thank you! That is exactly what I need! Actually...it's ms Small nail & Mr *I can do everything better* ( no j/k ) lol

Any way, I book marked it and now I need to get the HUGE can of spackle out so I can move the picture.

Thanks again :)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Regarding an accent wall, can you show a larger shot showing the layout of the whole area?

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

squirrel, i haven't been able to get a decent shot of the whole room . Here's pictures of both sides of the room. You can kind of visualize them together hopefully.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I'm having trouble picturing that one side wall with an accent color. Maybe you could paint the alcove's wall in another color as well to balance the effect; the same, maybe not. Of course, I don't know what I'm looking at there, but that alcove would seem a great spot for a large painting, if the long leading hall is where one enters the space. Looks like the thermostat (?) would have to be moved though.

Or maybe paint the whole family room a richer color to offset the painting and other furnishings.

Just my $.02 : )

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Well... it's certainly too big to carry around with you everywhere you go, but I don't think it's too big for where you have it. I just think it's too lonely all by itself there. I love that picture.

I'd also like to see your walls a richer color. A nice gold would really warm the place up. In our old house we threw a Christmas party every year with the same group of folks. When I had cold colors and white on the wall, they didn't talk much and they all ran home early. When I added warm colors, they chatted up a storm and stayed so long I finally kicked 'em out. lol!

• artlover13060
    15 years ago

"Do you think I could mask it off and paint the frame black? I wonder how hard that would be."

No, no, no. Don't paint the canvas! In the photo it does look like there's a frame, but if I understood you correctly, what appears to be a frame is actually a painted border on the canvas.

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

squirrelheaven and oceanna , something i forgot to mention is the walls are textured. Orange peel I think is what they call it. I'm not sure how they would look with a color on them. I haven't seen any of the houses here with the knock down type textures painted anything but shades of white.

artlover, the canvas is framed . It's a metal frame, but I've decide not to risk messing it up by painting it. I'd feel terrible if I screwed it up.( i've been know to do things like that )

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

Now that I see all the pictures, I think the whole area could be painted...all three walls. But since it's open to the white walls, I think I would consider a deep neutral in a warm tone, rather than something more dramatic like gold or terra cotta. Then the effect will be to make the whole space seem larger, as the colored walls recede.

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

All of my walls are orange peel texture, in fact most homes in my area have orange peel or some other texture and it doesn't stop us from using color!

Here is my dining room with orange peel texture walls:

• susan209
    15 years ago

Terriks, what a 'smashing'color and the fire place is gorgeous. Then there is the VIEW!!!!!!!! You have the most beautiful of both worlds, room and view. What kind of tile is that around the mantel, ceramic or glass?

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

Thanks, the paint is "Ginger" by Devine Paint. The tile is copper slate.

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bronwynsmom , so you think a beige or darker cream color? Than leave the kitchen the way is is? The thought of something dark scares me.

terriks , your room is beautiful! It's nice to know you can go bold even with a textured wall, it's just not done in this area that I have seen. Maybe it is and I just haven't seen it. It looks great in your home though!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

That's an awesome room and coloring, terriks : ) Simply gorgeous. Is that a water view?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Here's a peek at some coloring on the walls. I put a warmer color on the ceiling too.

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW! squirrel, that makes a huge difference doesn't it? I like the 2nd one the best. I can't believe how much better everything looks w/a little color. Things kind of pop!

Now I have to convince DH ( you know, Mr. Toggle bolt ) lol!

Thanks! I love it :)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Oh good! You're welcome : )

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

I would choose something darker in the fawn family. Don't be scared! It's paint. The worst thing that can happen is that you don't love it, and have to do it over.

I wish I knew how to do what Squirrelheaven did to add color to the picture...but try it with BMoore's Quincy Tan or Blair Gold or Tumeric. The colors you tried are very pleasant, but don't have as much personality as a richer one would. With pale neutrals behind black furniture, you run the risk of what my DH calls the "bureaucratic beiges" - the things you see in public buildings. What I am imagining is enough color to make the space expand as the walls recede. If you are more comfortable with paler ones, I'd suggest keeping it very warm behind all the black.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

"The colors you tried are very pleasant, but don't have as much personality as a richer one would. "

Bronwynsmom, I saw you had envisioned 'rich' and tried some but they weren't coming out very well and were getting glowy on the right half. And I believe AR said she might try just a bit of color.

Honestly, soft and subtle coloring is just as beautiful as rich, bold, or brilliant. It's just a different personality and, perhaps, personality type who prefers them. Those things are very much personal preference. Slighting combinations I liked was unnecessary and condescending commentary. That sort of thing often becomes an unpleasant experience around here. We're all different and, so, we like (and don't like) different things as well. I don't think many people like to be told that their own personal preferences are lacking or need to change (or conform to current thinking or trends). I would love to see more people appreciate the inherent beauty in what someone else sees rather than this desire for conformity to rules, tastes, or the affectation of others, or the masses. Most of the people I know don't even like 'colors' on the wall -- and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. And high design or striking interiors are just not for everyone either.

ArizonaRose, I'm glad you got to see and like the effect some color has in your room.