Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
roses....and more..please post your flower pics..

Posted by trailrunner (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 13:41

thought I would start a new thread for flowers. As we all get more coming out we can keep this going...should be fun to see the progression of blooms from one part of the country to another. Our azaleas are all gone and the roses are bursting. There are tons of buds and many haven't even started yet . Clemmies are just starting too and the jasmines. So we should be able to keep this going for a while. I hope all will participate !

Here is a sampling. Photobucket has still not re-instituted its slideshow . If you click on a pic it will take you to the album I made for roses etc 2013. c

baptisia...this is a rare pale yellow one :

photo IMG_6198_zpsba2201fa.jpg

Zepherine D at the entrance to carport :

photo IMG_6197_zpsbe6a552a.jpg

can't remember her name :

photo IMG_6194_zps320fad28.jpg

or hers :

photo IMG_6192_zpsd77faefe.jpg

main rose garden by carport

photo IMG_6190_zpsbc5a8ed5.jpg

by the pool :

photo IMG_6186_zps306ba443.jpg

pool wall :

photo IMG_6185_zpsbec2277e.jpg

by the fountain in pool area:

photo IMG_6183_zps33c52a8c.jpg

tradescantia, I love purple :

photo IMG_6169_zpsfc15a3a8.jpg

Madame Alfred a bower of roses as you come in the pool gate ..she has a fragrance like lychee..sweet !

photo IMG_6162_zps53189f49.jpg

one more...pool wall :

photo IMG_6165_zps935c8d15.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: roses....and more..please post your flower pics..

Beautiful! We had a hard freeze here in OK. last night (we get one once a week) so no buds anywhere yet! Cold spring here so I'm getting a bit antsy for the Roses to bloom and to put plantings in pot.

Let's keep this topic going for a good month or so. :)

o

Your flowers are gorgeous! You're way ahead of us here in zone 6b/7 in Pennsylvania. I bought a few yellow baptisia last year but I haven't checked the area where I planted them yet to see if they've survived. I have a weakness for blue and purple flowers too and have to be careful I don't put too many of those colors in my garden cart when I go shopping. I'm really jealous of your beautiful roses. We're having a problem with rose rosette disease in our area and I've lost 3 so far. There's no cure. A couple of summers ago I had 2 Eden climbers dug up, bagged and trashed hoping to prevent the spread, but last summer a large red rambler came down with the disease too. I hope they come out with a treatment soon.

o

Caroline, your flowers are gorgeous as usual.

My New Dawn rose has buds but hasn't bloomed as of yet.
Usually in Alabama the roses by now are in full bloom, as you know.

......Jane

o

Belinda's Dream

o

Peggy Martin (rose that survived Katrina)

o

oakley...I saw that you were getting more "weather"...you poor thing. We will keep this going so you can post lovely pics !! Can hardly wait and you hang in there...Spring will be there soon .

Thank you chickadee...I have tried to plant more Baptisia...it is a pita ! It has a long tap root and hates to be transplanted. I had planted 5 little ones a couple years ago and they never came up. Then I noticed there is one about 6" tall next to this pale yellow one so I am hopeful that it is one of the ones I planted...who knows where it has been :) You post pics as soon as you get some! I am sorry about the rose disease , I have heard of it but we don't get it here as far as I know. I hope it stays away also no jb's and I hope they never come either.

Thank you Jane ...please do post pics as soon as it blooms..I think of you often..miss your posts...how are you doing ????

texan I have one of her too ! I will have to post a pic of Belinda..mine isn't nearly as big and nice as yours ! Holey cow...your Peggy Martin is eating the fence !! She is gorgeous and very stalwart to have survived. Great roses !! c

o

• Posted by lolauren 7 - WA State/Desert (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 19:47

nkjhk

This post was edited by lolauren on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 18:29

o

trailrunner. . .I have a Madame Alfred Carriere too. . . .she is full of buds, but like Okleyok (I'm on Zone 7/OKC) we had a freeze last night. Mdm AC was new in the ground last year and almost tripled in size. She is covered with buds today. . .I am esplaiering her against a fence. . .I think she will be beautiful once the cold snaps are gone.

o

This was yesterday. I covered all our budding roses last night, it looks like they survived lows in the upper 20's. I am so ready for Spring!

o

Beautiful flowers, Caroline.

Love Spiderwort (tradescantia). Had a ton at our last house, but only some here. Need to add more!

o

lauren that is a lovely garden..I really like the rocks adding the definition to it all. Lovely ! My candytuft is almost done. I used to have ice plant but it has never done well here. Don't have creeping phlox anymore either. I shall just enjoy yours ! Make sure and take pics of the clemmies..we can compare.

cheri..don't you just love her ! She is so pretty and fragrant. Please take pics. I need to espalier mine. You can see the leaning trellis :) She is about 12 ft tall !

Oh prairiemom..I hope you thaw out for good soon !! Please post back as soon as the buds open. c

o

Thank you for the photos! My daffodils are out and that's about it. :)

Beth P.

o

Caroline, I just got back from Savannah yesterday and had a marvelous time.

Also, had my house painted finally and I love it.

How are you dear?

.......Jane

o

Trailrunner or any posting photos, where do you live?

Ice plants and phlox grow happily in the dry E. WA desert.. most roses do not, so I am drooling over those lovelies posted above! beautiful.

o

Yesterday I was showing my 3 year old neighbor girl the pretty purple crocuses in my yard. Today when she came over to visit, she asked my where are the purple flowers. Not a one to be found! I guess the rabbits enjoyed them for breakfast. They were all chewed off to the ground. And those were the only thing blooming in my yard. Spring has barely sprung in my area. So, sorry no outside pictures from me.

I do have to say though that the 5 geraniums plants that I have dug out of the ground and kept growing in pots all winter for the past 4 years are huge and look great. Each of the past 5 years I have also rooted cuttings from those plants and usually get about 30 new plants to put in my planting areas. Hope I can transfer them outside one of these days soon.

o

Yes everyone tell where you are ! Great idea Lauren..makes perfect sense. I am in Opelika AL zone 8 or 8a depending on where you look . The zones are changing though with all these new weather patterns.I somehow didn't realize you were in E.Washington. Makes perfect sense with that rock garden. Although many are switching to the rocks even in the South as it does conserve water and we have had drought in areas here and other parts of AL since 2007. This year we are getting a lot of rain and that is why things are looking so good.

Beth I love daffies and have only one bunch planted by a po. The chippies destroy so much if I plant it. Even climb up to the window boxes and toss out plants..they did it yesterday...grrr. Please post pics :)

Hey Jane. I am so glad you are still in your sweet house and got it painted ! please post pics . I am doing fine. We still need to get together. We were in Savannah last year to camp and loved it. Rode our bikes everywhere. Beautiful city.

Badger my grandmother used to put her geraniums into the basement in special boxes that my grandfather built for her. She tended them all through the cold OH winters and then replanted them in the Spring. My Momma said they got huge also . Mine stayed in the ground this year and because we had such a mild winter they also got a headstart and look great. I am sorry about your crocus. See above about the chipmunks here . They take over !! Please post pics of your geraniums. How do you start cuttings ? I will do that too !!! c

o

Hi Cheri! I live pretty close to you. :) More cold next week, not sure if it will freeze though.

I have Spiderwort and also love it. I wish it would spread though. It's not a lover of our heat, it stops blooming in August I think.

I did plant three climbing Roses a few weeks ago. As if I need another Rose bush!

o
roses....and more..please post your flower pics..

I did want to share this picture from last year. A little backstory. This is a Weeping Mulberry Tree. I've always wanted one and hired a landscaper to buy, plant, and decorate around it. It was beautiful! We put about 10 feet from one of the windows.

FF a few years later when we decided to build onto the house. The new porch was going where my tree was. The men dug it out with a backhoe, then replanted it for me behind the house. The poor thing ended up dying.

Even dead the tree was beautiful. The birds loved it. We decided to plant Morning Glory under it, and this was our reward!

photo IMG_4375.jpg

o

haha oakley...that is a great pic and story..The Morning Glory Tree :) As to Spiderwort..well I didn't plant that one where it is either ! I did plant one like it out in the back garden and 3 of another variety in the front . So the one in the back never did well then disappeared..and then pop..here is in in the middle of a rose bush in the front..have no idea how it got there but it is getting huge ! And the 3 other kind this year look sick..you just never know. c

o

Trail runner, below are a couple pictures of my 4 year old geraniums. I plant them in the ground during the summer. I have had to cut them back to almost nothing a couple times because they went into shock from transplanting but they always come back. They bloom throughout the winter indoors.
In March I cut sections of stems making sure I have 4-6 leaves on the cutting. I dip the roots into rooting hormone and then just stick the cuttings into small pots with seed starting soil. They key is not too overwater or the cuttings rot easily.
You have to slowly transition them to the brighter outdoor sunlight or the leaves will get sunburned. I move them in and out of the shade until they
adjust.

A couple of my plants that were probably in a 4 inch pot when I bought them.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

And here are my cuttings currently occupying a spare bedroom.

Oh, I happened to find this shot of my shrub roses from early last June. With the cold spring we are having they probably won't bloom until July this year! I live in southeast Wisconsin.

o

Caroline, you're definitely ahead of us. I'm just north of DC (zone 7 I think, but just barely). Our cherry blossoms and daffodils are done and our azaleas are just beginning to pop. In my front bed, my tulips are still going strong and the rabbits have not yet discovered my pot of pansies:
 photo DSC05125_zpsed9443c8.jpg

My dwarf fothergilla always makes me happy in spring:
 photo DSC05127_zps60897b8a.jpg

And my volunteer forget me nots are exploding all over my garden:
 photo DSC05130_zpsdee34abe.jpg

o

Trail -- Yeah, the rocks are not ideal in terms of improving the soil, but on top of having only 5-7 inches of rain each year, we also have terrible wind. Bark and other mulches don't stay in place in regular winds when they are dry. :)

Thank you your starting this thread. I love peeking into other gardens/yards. :)

o

badger..OK I have rooting hormone..found it when I cleaned the shed the other day ! I have it so organized now :) I will give it a try. I have only red ones. I know rococogirl has white ones that she brings in and out every year. I love the white ones..she is in the Hudson Valley. I love your shrub roses !! Wow...my cycling friend lives outside of Green Bay in Sobeiski WS. Tiny place.

arlosmom...your beds are so pretty !! You have such great weather up there in DC area..except when it gets HOT!! I remember riding through the area in 2011 in June and it was over 100 ! I was about to die..it was a 90 mile day as we pedaled past the Potomac and the airport. And that bathtub...oh my ..how big is your garden/lot ??? You have so much space it looks like. I like the way you have that container of pansies in the shot with the tulips...so pretty to set it in with the other plants. Fothergilla..I love it not sure but I think we can grow it here.

Lauren 5-7 all year ! whoa...that is dry. I didn't think about wind blowing away the mulch. I can't take wind...it makes me too nervous to have it be windy. I remember being in Amarillo TX and the wind never stops.. and on my bike ride across the Southern US in 2010..the wind was my nemesis. A head wind so many days...I just can't do it.

I hope as the days go by we can watch the progression of blooms. Fun to see the changes . c

o

Gorgeous roses and other flowers, C! Although you're only a few hours south, you are way ahead in terms of blooms--- we've had nothing here except azaleas and dogwoods, with a very poor show this year. The cherry trees around our town were outstanding, though, so we plan to put in a few along the drive in October. I took the week off to work in the yard and house and so far have the hanging baskets out back (white and red begonias this year), 13 pots of alstroemerias in back and two in front, a mix of yellow and pink/ salmon, red salvia in the window boxes on the patio, kept the lime green cedars in four big concrete pots and surrounded them with red begonias, and put new sago palms in the urns at the drive and got a really pretty extra one for the back patio. All that is left is to plant the front small beds with white kalanchoe, yellow million bells and red begonias. When it's all done I will take pictures.

Oakley--- several of our non performing yellow knockout roses have come back! No blooms yet, but profuse dark green foliage...... I don't think I'll be planting more but it looks like about 10 have made it. I was really surprised!

o

We have a little over a third of an acre -- not big by a lot of people's standards, but it's a lot of garden beds and feels like a lot to me. Today is the kind of day I love in the DC area...bright and sunny and low 60s. But summers can be dreadful, brutally hot and so humid the air feels thick. And I work outside! Ugg.

Can't wait to see more folks' pictures!!

o

Trail, thank you for identifying the tradescantia. I have some that has crept under the fence form my neighbor's garden and I never knew what they are. The neighbor who planted them is long gone, but the flowers linger on. They spread quite a bit.

Things are only just coming up here. I took a chance a planted some annuals - mostly geraniums - on the very sunny side of the house.

However, one of my most favorite perennials is blooming now. It's called Heart-leaf Brunnera. I love it's dainty little flowers. I have two, but only one is blooming now. I look forward to them every year.

It will be awhile before my roses bloom. The one bush is the thorniest thing ever, but the white flowers almost glow in the dark and then rebloom later in the season.

Here is the Brunnera.

o

We're in an urban setting, but it's pretty much in summer season here - it was in the high 80s in Southern California last weekend. My beloved frangipani and bouganvilla is now in full bloom. The frangipani is so fragrant and it makes sitting outside for evening meals lovely.
 photo Picture17_zps55dfc908.png
 photo Picture28_zps928db619.png

My roses are coming along nicely too...
 photo Picture27_zpse11a4d82.png
 photo roses_zps06e4cf38.jpg

o

Oh how beautiful!!

o

oh ded that brunnera is wonderful ! I love the dainty blue flowers. Please post when the white rose is in bloom !

pip..whoa !! what a difference in climate and what you can grow. My aunt in FL used to have a brown/copper bougainvillea . She said it was very rare. It climbed all the way to the top of a huge orange tree in her back yard. I always remember how gorgeous the flowers were. Have never seen anther that color . Have you seen a copper/brown one ? All of your flowers are gorgeous. Love that last rose pic. I wish DH had not "tossed " the labels on a lot of mine..he didn't realize what he was throwing away,,,sigh.

o

Here are some of the iris-- they are beautiful this year and are all around our town

These alstroemerias are awaiting transplant into bigger pots or into the ground:

o

I love bouganvilla (sp?) and always have it in pots here in the back (strong sun) in hanging pots. Usually the deep pink color but this year I went with a variety that is called strawberry something or other. It has the white/green varigated leaves and it is not as deep a pink almost but a tad brighter. It's grown as an annual here.

o

kswl..those iris are lovely. They are out in a deep purple at a house up the street. I love purple ! Your pots will be gorgeous . Please do show them when you get them done. I especially want to see the ones with the cedars.

tina they are selling lots of bougainvillea here too as an annual. I try to limit annuals to save buying so many things every year. More and more I am doing only perennials and a lot of sedums as they are carefree and drought resistant.

Here is my corner at the stop sign. it is city property so it gets the Knockouts ! I don't care for them as they have so many thorns and they also usually have so many yellow leaves. But this past winter I really cut them back..had neglected to that in the past years. I had been told to do it but just never did. Well now they are amazing ! Hurts my eyes they are so bright !!

photo IMG_6200_zpsb4c4ec50.jpg

photo IMG_6201_zpse9353b8c.jpg

o

I agree Carolyn. I do not plant any annuals in the ground, but I do add them to pots. I have too many annuals I love to not use at least a few of them. LOL Bouganvilla is one that tolerates the hot, direct sun so well. It is a must in my hanging baskets out back! (And of course I have to have a mandevilla!!)

Tina

o

Nothing is in full bloom, but at least it is planted, except the last of the begonias.

In about two weeks they she be full of blooms!

o

Your "man of all work" would love Opelika ! hint hint...beautiful !!

tina I used to plant a ton of pots with annuals..I have pics :) but I am gone too much now and I don't have anyone to water them...( see note above to kswl !!)

o

wow...gorgeous yards, roses, and flowers.

o

It's spring in Texas, and everything is popping! This is Belinda's Dream

o

I'm in SoCal a couple of mountain ranges north of LA. We've had a dry winter and an earlier than normal warm spring. I don't have a lot of blooming plants except roses. Most of these are from my "dog garden". One of my best friends and I share a love of dogs. Over the years, we've lost a few, and we've sort of developed a little tradition of giving the other person a new rose bush when we lose one of our dogs. It's a nice little reminder of them and of our friendship.

Love seeing all the gardens from around the country.

Mardi Gras

photo MardiGrasRoseClose1_zpsb6a3ffa0.jpg

Julia Child

photo JuliaChildRose_zps05a95db9.jpg

Royal Amethyst and Honor

photo RoyalAmyandHonor_zps2b00886e.jpg

Don't remember the name of this one, I think an Austin rose

photo Peachrose_zps77c877ef.jpg

This is a small rose called Passionate Kisses. The pink glows!

photo PassionateKissesrose_zps7317f805.jpg

o

Here is the Pope John Paul II rose.

o

Wow, Pope John is so luscious!

My regular roses just finished their first flush, but my Drift roses are still in full bloom.

photo sweetdrift_zpsbcfe20c1.jpg

photo driftrose_zps8cf3b3b0.jpg

o

I love all the flowers as I love flowers and wish I live in a house with a big back yard rather than a townhouse with a small backyard so I could have a flower garden. But I did choose this townhouse over the house as I loved the style and closet space inside and the perfect location. I love the deep purple flower so much called tradescantia that Trailrunner posted pictures of with the yellow pollen inside (forgot the name of the inside part), I love purple and EG3d's white rose called Pope John Paul II rose. Dedtired posted pictures of Brunnera which I also loved the color of and the pattern on the leaves. AnnaC54 posted pictures of the Mardi Gras rose that I love the orangy-red color of! Pip dog's yellow fragrant flower called frangipani is gorgeous and so are the red flowers. Kswl and Msrose posted pictures also so pretty! I love the brick walkway and the manicured gardens that Kswl posted and the white flowers in the raised vase. Msrose posted peach flowers that I loved. Pipdog's bouganvilla is so gorgeous and shows up as a deep red on my monitor. Texanjana's Peggy Martin (rose that survived Katrina) is really nice. I can go on and on! One of my clients has a garden in his backyard and it is gorgeous!

o

I'm in Colorado.....all that's bloomed so far are miniature daffodils...

The patch of miniature daffodils....

o

Wow !! Just gorgeous...I love the roses !! So many different kinds. Mine just keep getting better and better...need to take and post more pics:)

Hey nicole !! I think about you in CO all the time ! How are things ? How is the running and the SCUBA ? Anymore trips ? My DS2 is now in Ft Myers moved Apr 1 so he is planning on doing a lot of diving now that he is so close to some nice areas. Do you have any suggestions? c

o

I'm in So Calif.
Iceberg roses...

o

OK...so I have made an executive decision..NOONE on So Cal can post pics :) Ya'll are just too lucky as far as weather...but then I have been in the NE in the Summer and it is amazing...NY state has the best weather...or was it Mass...or Conn...haha...I am SO glad I started this thread. Please keep them coming.

The rains are all going North of us..all day and last night too..we haven't gotten a drop. Amazing...please push those rain clouds down to us in central AL !

o

Kitch4me, I love the iceberg roses! I think I love white flower, purple flowers, orange flowers, yellow flowers and red flowers I am finding out with white and deep purple my favorite. But I love all these colors and wish I had bought the house despite being less stylish than the townhouse for the same price so I could have the garden I loved. I just had more square foot in my townhouse and the location I liked better. The house I liked in my location would have been so much more money. I do have my own fenced in backyard but it is a patio with stones and if I want flowers, I have to plant them in vases. Maybe I should buy planters and plant flowers as I would enjoy having my backyard more colorful. The trees are all blooming in my townhouse complex and they are gorgeous! Beautiful white flowers on most of them with some having beautiful pink flowers. My tree is the only tree out of the small complex that blooms very late and I still have no flowers.

Please keep the pictures coming! I love seeing the beautiful flowers!

o
Nicole- Miniature daffodils! - RE: roses....and more..please post

Nicole, I love the miniature daffodils!

o
Ogrose- deep purple flowers

Ogrose, what are those little deep purple flowers called? I love them!

o

Sorry Trail,

Looks like this needs a little bump from So Cal ;)

o

haha....iris !! pretty...I will get pics tomorrow...too much to do today. Everything is doing well here since we had rain..note past tense...it skipped up this weekend and looks like it will again later this week ..so I will enjoy while I can ..as it will all fry soon !

love the iceberg rose..my dad used to grow those too.

lynn...I would definitely google container gardens and look at images on google too. There are some amazing ones out there. You could get all your veggies and fruits too ! Post pics of the pretty trees in your area..would love to see. c

o

We were in Tennessee last week - Nashville and Memphis. The azaleas and dogwoods were gorgeous, and we went to Cheekwood where the tulips were in full bloom. Breathtaking.

o

Caroline, as other's have said, you're so far ahead of us here in the northeast. Your garden is beautiful as always. We just have our daffodils up now. It does seem like everything is really doing well this year though. My daffs seem huge. You'll have to keep this going so the rest of us can catch up.

I love baptisia... the yellow is gorgeous! I'm just looking now to see if the ones I moved last year are going to come up. I had some markers in, but my neighbor pulled them out. I guess I'll keep guessing for a while. P

o

Hey p..today is chilly and gloomy out...such a strange Spring ! I was in the pool on Tuesday afternoon and swam a mile ! Today I have on long sleeves ..sheesh. I took some pics just now. On a gloomy day the colors are prettier. My roses and jasmine are just going gangbusters. Here you go....I can hardly wait till your posies are in full bloom ! c

outside of the wall..this is what the neighbors etc see..note the clematis at the top coming over and out in the Asiatic Jasmine !

photo IMG_6222_zps7d620353.jpg

more outside of wall :

photo IMG_6221_zps7166cc14.jpg

Zephie just keeps getting more and more buds.her best year ever !

photo IMG_6220_zps5d221ffe.jpg

sedum is showing her colors too !

photo IMG_6219_zpsbe7e0d60.jpg

rose campion just beginning ..I have a ton of it as it spreads really easily and I let it go to seed.

photo IMG_6218_zps41cf58aa.jpg

side rose bed..that is almost all ONE bush !!

photo IMG_6217_zpsa1f7c7ab.jpg

I wish I knew what she is called...she is so prolific and smells so sweet..keeps this up till almost Christmas ..

photo IMG_6216_zps4bb1b00e.jpg

another pretty...she is covered with buds and blooms..I deadhead every day to keep them coming.

photo IMG_6215_zps30dee8ff.jpg

inside of pool wall...what I get to see ;)

photo IMG_6214_zpsbfa307bc.jpg

more of my view while I swim..

photo IMG_6213_zps13ec68de.jpg

another clemmie..she is in the center of a rose that is just ready to start..will get more pics in a week or so.

photo IMG_6212_zpsb5171745.jpg

o

Beautiful! Is the white rose Iceberg maybe?

o

Hi trailrunner! Is that a white Lady Banks rose? Your flowers are gorgeous. I finally had a little time to take some pics the other day and post a few. I'm late posting many of these.

Driveway bed from the garage. Verbena, peony, Jap maple, pansies, etc. Some things behind have already bloomed and some yet to bloom.
 photo drivewaybed_zps8c3c822f.jpg

'Candida' clematis
 photo Candidaclematis_zpsb71f806f.jpg

Backyard around the pond. We moved the big JM last fall when we did some re-landscaping and it has survived. The azaleas are mostly finished blooming.
 photo Japmaples_zps7b632108.jpg

I found this cute little pot and it was perfect for some 'Tokyo Sun' sedum.
 photo TokyoSunsedum_zps9eb5afe0.jpg

The iris are beginning to bloom. This is one of my favorites
 photo Immortality_zps022b3f19.jpg

When I took this picture I don't think the azaleas were blooming yet. These are young ones. But the pots of geraniums look good.

photo DSCN0922_zpsea15742b.jpg

'Festiva Maxima' peony

photo FestivaMaxima_zps06a14b1d.jpg

Heuchera and Hellebores in the shade bed

photo Heuchera-LentenRose_zps0d744cad.jpg

More views of the shade bed

photo ShadeBed_zps48e74966.jpg

photo ShadeBed-2_zps4ba6a514.jpg

o

wow ! Outsideplaying your gardens are WONDERFUL !! You have a botte tree too ! Where are you and how large is your lot ? I love everything...peonies are so pretty but I think they don't usually do well here in the southern humidity. Your shade beds are so lush. I don't see a pond...do you have more pics of that area...it looks fabulous. I love it all :)

I really don't remember what I bought when I got that white rose :( ...but she is a prolific bloomer and huge ! c

o

I am late to the game. I have to say I am envious of some of the hardscaping I see. I'd love to have a brick wall.

o

Oh my...evenshade your beds and winding drive are beautiful ! What a variety you have ! So where are you and show us more !

Oh also outside..I sure would love to have that rock :) c

o

Up here in CT we just got lilacs yesterday, tulips last week, and the daffodils were the week before that.

Daffodils:
 photo DSC06890.jpg

My favorite spring phenom; this is the only time of year when you can see our "isthmus" easily, before the vegetation fills out. I love this path. Note the geese in the small pond on one side.

photo DSC06856.jpg

photo DSC06854.jpg

Our lilacs (excuse the crumbs on the table!)
 photo DSC06849.jpg

Our tulips; the PO's colors : )
 photo DSC06838.jpg

Our new tulips on the walkway, my colors:
 photo DSC06845.jpg

photo DSC06842.jpg

photo DSC06843.jpg

The weeping cherry i see from my bathtub:
 photo DSC06814.jpg

o

mnt...what an idyll...just beautiful from every angle. Thank you...takes my breath. c

o

Mtnredux, love what you did with those lilacs! What is that container?

No roses here yet, but tons of buds. Hope to post sometime this month.

o

Pirula, thank you.

It is a skinny, long wooden trough, falling apart, with a piece of some sort of green floral paper in it as a liner. I saw it (empty) at a high end florist and loved the patina and just had to have it. It's a piece of junk, with stupid nails sticking out of it that scratched my table!

I put small water glasses lined up in it, and that's where I put the flowers. The leaves hide the glasses.

Here i filled it with mini daffs in pots:
 photo 40329a93.jpg

And this is from last June when my roses and peonies and hydrangeas were blooming!

photo 235d700b.jpg

o

thank you to everyone for posting such beautiful and awe inspiring pics!

we have had a very cold and rainy spring thus far and my plants have been sloooow to bloom....

also thanks for the 'drift rose' pictures.....i've been looking for a low growing flowering plant for my western exposure stone wall to drape downward and i think i have my choice! will be shopping for those this weekend...

Mtnredux, your yard (and gorgeous home) is just magical!

i lurked about the little 'stone house' reno and was intrigued by it...did you ever post the finished pictures??

o

Gorgeous! Exactly the sort of thing I'd love and pick up as well....beautifully done.

o

Oh goodness, everything is just gorgeous!

Evenshade, your gardens are envious for sure!

Mtn, I never get tired of looking at the beautiful grounds surrounding your home. Just lovely.

Everyone with roses - I am envious! I haven't had the time or patience to try anything but knockouts. Some day, (sigh)!

Trailrunner, we have 9 acres, about half in woods. Had to cut a lot of pine trees to build so it left us with some openness that we've tried to replant with trees in some areas. Here is a pic of the 'backside' of the pond looking toward the back of the house. It needs to be cleaned out, but we've had such ugly weather it's still on the to-do list. The dogwoods didn't do much this year and everything is late. I hope the iris will eventually bloom out as well as the daylilies (I have way too many). We're just outside of Huntsville.

photo Pond1_zps8d008cef.jpg

o

Oh I love the Huntsville area. I have so many fond memories of Monte Santo ! Great place to run. Your pond area is lovely. It is pouring rain here now. We have had 40's at night again and chilly during the day. It is supposed to get up to 82 by Wed...I sure hope so ! The pool is cold again.

Thank you for posting ..you are so lucky to have 9 acres !! c

o

Thank you, trail, thank you outside, and desert.

Desert. It was essentially done last November, but there is a window rod that has to go up. It's been a low priority because the curtains are so diaphanous it doesn't really matter, but id like it for photos. Plus I am going to train a vine around the doorway and thought id wait for that.

That said, I did take this of the daffodils:

photo DSC06811.jpg

o

That's lovely! Guesthouse??? I'd live there!

o

Mtn, the light is different in this photo of the stone house than the others, the trim color looks much lighter and beautiful with the stone. I liked it when it appeared darker, too, in the winter, it is a chameleon building that takes its cues from the seasons! The tulips and cherry tree are magnificent, and the daffodils. I haven't had much luck with daffs, it is just too wet! Our last house had a perennial garden designed by the PO, containing some flowers and colors I would never have chosen. But it was always a reminder that I was just one of many caretakers, and I came to appreciate the variety, and by the time we left regarded those gaudy colors as welcome harbingers of spring.

I came home from a week in Virginia to see these yellow knockouts blooming!

o

K, don't you live in the north? For some reason I thought you did. Because mine haven't started budding yet because of all the freezes we've had on a weekly basis, and I'm in OK.

The only plants that are blooming are my Dianthus and Spiderwort, but not enough blooms to take a picture.

Today my DIL gave me this Calla Lily. It is so bushy and healthy! I've never grown CL's before, but I'm going to put it in a pot on the front porch. I read they make good potted plants indoors or out, but I want to do it outdoors. If any of you have grown these before, how much morning sun do you give them?

photo IMG_4736_zps8256ccf7.jpg

o

kswl...lovely roses ! I don't have any of the yellow knockouts. I do have other yellow roses. Where in VA were you ? The new Virginia Living magazine came out yesterday and DS1 and his restaurant The Red Hen were voted #1 in the Shenandoah valley ! We were so pleased. DIL had one of her dessert recipes published in the issue also and they were voted #3 for desserts so all around a nice surprise.

oakley don't know about cl's but that is beautiful !c

o

mtn, absolutely beautiful....love the paint color and the stone of course....what a lovely space!

o

Trail, congrats to your DS and DIL! ONe of these days I am going to have a reason to get there (I'm a pretty serious foodie and it sounds wonderful!)

KSWL, thanks! Yellow roses are my favorite. I will have a long wait for roses here yet. And yes we love the grey paint.

Thanks, Desert.

Pirula --- not quite a guest house, it is tiny and the nearest bathroom is 100 steps away, by the pool! So far its been used mostly for my girls' sleepovers. I just remembered though, our anniversary is coming up ... maybe we will go there, LOL

o

Trail, congrats to your DS and DIL! ONe of these days I am going to have a reason to get there (I'm a pretty serious foodie and it sounds wonderful!)

KSWL, thanks! Yellow roses are my favorite. I will have a long wait for roses here yet. And yes we love the grey paint.

Thanks, Desert.

Pirula --- not quite a guest house, it is tiny and the nearest bathroom is 100 steps away, by the pool! So far its been used mostly for my girls' sleepovers. I just remembered though, our anniversary is coming up ... maybe we will go there, LOL

o

C, I was actually in the Shennandoah valley--- our youngest is in college in Virginia. I completely forgot that your son is a chef in Virginia! DH and I are on a board up there and have meetings twice a year--- I will make reservations the next time I go up. So glad you reminded me!

Oakley, I live in rural Georgia. Normally it gets HOT here by the end of April, but not this year. It is still cold and rainy, and for some reason these drought resistant, full sun knockouts are happy. Go figure...

o

I don't know why I thought you lived up north. All of my KO's are about 4' tall now. The yellow KO is the newest but I sure hope it goes crazy this summer like it's sisters in pink and red. They sure do like the heat!

Keep me updated on your yellow KO.

All this talk of Virginia makes me homesick. Long story. lol

o

Mnt...that little house is just SO sweet...I sure hope you will show us all the finished product soon :)

kswl...yep...bah humbug to those that say KO's like drought and heat...ha...mine have never looked better...and as you say it is cold and rainy LOL...

I had NO idea that your son was up there. You better get yourself to the Red Hen pronto :) c

o

Not cultivated, clearly, but one of our happy spring scenes here is a field of yarrow that is beautiful! These views are along the side of our driveway. We have a couple of distinct areas of yarrow, about three acres of it. It will have to be bush hogged in about three or four weeks, as other, less attractive weeds will slowly win the competition for resources, although it's so wet we will have to wait until it dries up or the tractor will get stuck---- a not uncommon occurrence :-) We rmow the first 20 feet out from the drive every week, and from there it's all up to Mother Nature. Yarrow in the early spring, queen Anne's lace later on, after we've bush hogged a couple of times.

o

Sorry OT but, trail runner! Did you know Red Hen was written up in the Washington Post food section today?.

o

kswl..that is gorgeous . I can just imagine the butterflies !

NO pirula !! What in the world..will call DS and find out . Will see if I can find it online. Thank you ! c

o

Trail runner hope this link works. Otherwise just google Washington Post and put Red Hen in their search box.
Wish I lived near his restaurant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Hen

o

That's it! Bravo trailrunner jr.!

o

For some reason I had it in my head that your son's restaurant was in rural Virginia. It's in DC! Whoop! We are soooooo going. DH already reserved Le Diplomate for Mother's Day, but we may go for Father's Day, if not sooner.

o

Nope...called DS1 and he laughed...they stole the name ! He has been at The Red Hen in Lexington VA for 2 1/2 years. It was open before he made it famous with his Top chef award in Nov 2012 from Cooking Light and this week he was named #1 restaurant in Shenandoah Valley. The people in DC are late to the game :)

Have a great dinner but please come to VA soon to have the REAL Red Hen .c

o

Uh oh. So I just checked Virginia magazine you mentioned and you son's restaurant IS in rural-y Virginia. Wrong restaurant in Washington Post. Sorry trailrunner. Jeez, who knew there'd be more than one "Red Hen?"

o

We cross posted. I am in VA, but just outside DC. It's looking like Lexington is at least two hours away.... Wah. But! You never know!

o

Gosh, c, that doesn't seem kosher--- after all, the owners of the faux hen had to have done a corporation search before they selected the name. Your son should submit something (short article, photo) to WaPo about the real hen... Something funny but brings attention to them.

o

kswl, love your pastoral scenes! Didn't know you lived in rural GA, but our wildflowers must be similar.

C, I totally got confused on the Red Hen discussion, but congrats to your DH and DIL on their restaurant. If we're up in that area, will be sure to look for the REAL Red Hen. We do have a good friend in Falls Church who seeks out the good places & will travel to them so I'll tell her abaout the article. I don't know about VA restaurants, but in AL, 2 businesses can't have the same name.

o

Thanks, outside-- love your pictures as well and they do feel familiar, DH is from your state :-)

Re the name--- it's possible one or bothe corporations is DBA. Still, it's not remotely possible the faux hen did not know about the existence of the real one. The connotation of "red hen" is both French and farm/rural. It's a strange name for an Italian bistro in DC, n'est pas?

o

I don't know what the "rule" is either. But for sure they know about Collin...there isn't anyone who is a chef that doesn't keep up with what is going on all over the place ! Ah well...will see how they do and what the reviews are like after they are open for a while . So far they are really doing well and the reviews are all pretty positive. The menu sounds very good.

outside...hope you and pirula get to make the trip...would love to hear what you think :) c

o

I am in CT too but a very cold, damp area so everything is later. This week my daffodils finally blossomed and unfortunately the rain beat them down yesterday and last night. :(
One tulip is opening. Bloodroot blossomed and dying off. Dandelions are blooming and right now I am trying to convince myself at least it is color.

o

We have a local restaurant that was forced to change names because another restaurant already had the name. Id never even heard of the second restaurant, and we eat out a lot, so I think it had to have been fairly far away.

I think they should challenge them to a bake off or a bbq off or some such, unless of course they are chicken. I'd definitely put a bug in WaPo's ear about it.

o

We're catching up to you a little bit here in Western Mass C...

photo DSC_5006.jpg
 photo DSC_4952.jpg
 photo DSC_5007.jpg
 photo DSC_5008.jpg
 photo DSC_5013.jpg
 photo DSC_5016.jpg
 photo DSC_5020.jpg
 photo DSC_5023.jpg
 photo DSC_5025.jpg
 photo DSC_5026.jpg
 photo DSC_5034.jpg
 photo DSC_5050.jpg
 photo DSC_5047.jpg
 photo DSC_5041.jpg

o

Ohhhhh..pretty prill:) You have surpassed us !! Now you have to name it all...I know the daffs and the maples and the azaleas,pansies, iris and petunias in the hanging pot...not sure what the others are...so spill !! c

o

Gorgeous!

o

Beautiful! Oh yes please! What's that beauty fifth from the bottom with the lighter yellow/green flowers? I think I'm in love.

o

Pirula, that's called Euphorbia Polychroma or
Cushion Spurge. Not sure what else you missed Carolyn... the last one is ajuga (its a ground cover). The purple one under the maples is a geranium, possibly Johnson's blue. The little white flower is Lily of the Valley. The orange pink shrub under the spurge is a flowering quince... did I miss anything?

It's amazing how fast things pop out once it warm. It's a strange spring up here.

o

Thank you!

o

Ah...my ajuga is all done...you close ups are amazing ! I have planted spurge but it never bloomed...hmm...didn't know it would LOL ! I recognized the L of V and the quince. I have/had the wild geraniums but I think most of them are gone...one is still pretty nice but didn't do much this year. OK...now we are ready for some more folks to post. I have a ton of pots that I made...I couldn't resist. Used all things that will come back. Will try and do picks in the next few days...thank you prill ! c

o

Have to add peony pics today... so beautiful.

photo DSC_5101.jpg

photo DSC_5100.jpg
 photo DSC_5091.jpg
 photo DSC_5084.jpg
 photo DSC_5078.jpg
 photo DSC_5069.jpg
 photo DSC_5061.jpg

o

peonypicsfromprill !!! so pretty. I spent hours in the hot sun dead-heading roses !! Will be tons more buds if we keep getting these rains. My big concern is I will be gone for 2 months so who knows how they will be when I get back :(

I LOVE your posiesprill !! :) c

o

Are you going on another journey?? Where this year?

o

Here's some of potted plants on the back deck.

o

everything is gorgeous!

the white lilacs!

and oooohhh those peonies!

o

dino..that view...those pots...sigh ! Where are you ???

prill...we are going to live in Lexington for 2 months. I haven't posted about it yet. We are leaving next week. Have a small...very small ...furnished cottage on a 1790 fox hunting estate. It is lovely and only 7 miles out of town. We are very excited. Will have to post lots of pics. c

o

dino, what a view! Beautiful.

That sounds wonderful C. Is someone going to take care of your garden for you? Can't wait to see pics from KY.

o

Loving all these gorgeous spring flowers.... There is nothing as beautiful as the scenes nature provides us in all areas of the world. With a little help from these talented gardeners, of course !

o

prill Virginia...not Kentucky LOL! We wanted to be near grand baby :) We have a young man from our church who will cut the grass and water if need be and monitor the pool. His dad and mom own a horticulture business and can advise if need be but he likely will do nothing except basics. So I will have a lot to do when I get back. c

o

Oh, you said Lexington... I thought Kentucky. So, you'll be north! Glad someone will be there to watch your beautiful house and yard. Send pics.

New grandbabies are great. I have one 15 months old now. Lily Rose.. She's adorable.

o

I have been enjoying everyones gorgeous gardens and fabulous flower pictures. We finally have warm weather here in Wisconsin. Tulips, daffodills and other early spring flowers have come and gone. Roses,peonies and others are not blooming yet.My flowering trees were a week to 10 days later than normal but as you can see by this one. It was worth the wait.

o

WOW! badgergal...I should have guessed....my bicycle riding buddy is from Sobeiski ..right outside of Green Bay. He has been in Ecuador and Peru for the past 2 months as he wanted to miss the Winter ! He got home yesterday....looks like just in time. Your tree is gorgeous.

Prill...my baby is 18 1/2 months and is Griffin Evers. We need to pass pics ! c

o

C, yes, I'll send you a pic. Have a safe trip and a great time with Griffin. Must be hard to live so far away.

o

Thank you trail runner and pill

Trail runner...I'm in Indiana near indpls.

I love all these flowers. Will have to visit this post this winter.

o

I am glad you revived this thread dino. Nothing looks as it did in the Spring :) After all the heat of June and all the rain of July we are just getting an unusual Summer flush..small one but still at least the roses have leaves. Will see what Fall brings. Please do post back . c

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here