Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eagertopaint

Accent wall too dark or out of date

eagertopaint
9 years ago

Is this accent wall too bold of a color or is,it outdated? Just recently painted my breakfast kitchen area BM gray owl. Now this living room accent wall screams bold to me. Should I paint it back the color of the living room walls or perhaps the gray owl color. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (31)

• teacats
    9 years ago

A vote to re-paint the wall to the color of the living room walls -- plus -- consider painting out the grill of the air vent too -- right now -- it is the focal point of the whole wall! :)

• eagertopaint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank u tea cats. Agree that vent needs to be painted. Here is a picture of breakfast room, kitchen area. This is a vey open space.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Can you keep the accent wall and paint the others in Gray Owl?

• eagertopaint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do love the gray owl. I am not sure that I can convince hubby to repaint this entire room again. It has two story ceilings. The accent wall may have to go,back to the wall color,that is presently on,the other walls. Just know,that I don't think I like my accent wall anymore.

• lolauren
    9 years ago

I vote to make it the same as the other walls. To my eye, it isn't accentuating anything it should be currently.

• DreamingoftheUP
    9 years ago

Paint the vent blue and live with it for a while. It looks nice and not worth the effort of repainting. If, after a month, you still don't like it, paint the wall the same as the other living room walls.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I have to say that I really like it, so I'd keep it and just paint the vent. It picks up the pillow colors and gives the place some more oomph, and accentuates the mirror and the blue and white vases/lamps.
    What paint color is it?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Thank you for the color name! Being screamed at isn't good at all, but try to imagine if everything were the same beige color. Kinda boring, IMO. Maybe bring even more blue and (creamy) white in there. However, I'm no use because I really like it :)

• eagertopaint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for,ur support Nosoccermom. ... I don't like blah, either...I have always liked color.... Thanks

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I vote to paint the accent wall the same color as the rest of the room. As it is now it feels a little monolithic and demanding of attention. Truthfully, I'm not a big fan of blue so that could also be influencing my reaction. I freely admit that I'm a fan of boring walls and doing something else for excitement.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I like the it, but agree that the vents should be painted the same as the walls they are on.

I would like to see it from farther away though. I could see how it is such a big contrast from the other walls that it might be overpowering in person.

• Happyladi
    9 years ago

I like it, but I like blue.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I like it and it carries over the blue in your kitchen counters balancing out the space. I think it is appropriate as an accent wall because of the fireplace.

• TehyaJenZ6
    9 years ago

I like it as an accent wall but that shade of blue looks dated to me. A more muted shade of blue would look better IMHO.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I usually don't like accent walls, like Linelle I am a boring wall fan myself but I really like your blue wall. I would paint out the vent cover though.

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    9 years ago

I agree with possibly a different shade of blue?

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Well, I don't like accent walls or strong blues, so you already know where I'm headed. Paint the same as the other walls. Then get a big colorful piece of art for over the fireplace. The only art I see in the room, which is a way to bring more color into the room, is way up high (and not terribly colorful) -- the one over the door makes me nervous, BTW. If you're on a budget, stores like Home Goods, Pier One, and sometime even Target have large colorful canvases that might work.

• eagertopaint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for all your help. I think I will probably do away with the strong blue accent wall. I will either paint the color of the wall the same as all the other walls in living room or possibly the BM gray owl that i have in kitchen breakfast room area. The main reason that I painted the wall the strong blue was that it seemed blah or needed something to,perk the fireplace area up. I wonder what it would look like if I went to the original color, and painted the mantel with Anne sloan chalk paint. Any opinions on this. Thanks for all,your help.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I vote to keep the wall an accent color, but tone it down to a more gray denim blue.

• clt3
    9 years ago

LOL gotta love that color - my maiden name!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I would paint it the same as the other walls. There's so much calling for attention around the room that the accent wall is just one. more. thing. It's a small room with something hung on every wall, and every surface holds multiple objects. It needs a restful surface, so let it be the walls. I like sueb's idea to put colorful art over the FP, and not something very busy.

• divotdiva2
    9 years ago

I don't mind the blue but the room maybe needs more to tie in to it besides the pillows/lamps - perhaps a brighter or lighter area rug? If you repaint it the room probably will want more accent color for interest.

• eagertopaint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of the rug close up with its rich colors. Rug will probably have to stay. I am kind of leaning toward the idea of painting wall the same as others in living room, and change out mirror for a large piece of art. Decisions...decisions...

• katrina_ellen
    9 years ago

I have an accent wall in my living room and I like it, but for your room I think I would paint it the same as the other walls because it is already a focal point because of the fireplace and I don't think it needs any additional embellishment.

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

I like it, but I also think it would look nice painted the existing wall color or the gray owl. I think it looks really nice with all the other blue in the room. What is the light paint color in the LR?

You mention painting the mantel with chalk paint. Is it currently the same color as the rest of the trim? I like it as is and wouldn't paint it. What color chalk paint were you considering?

Have you been looking at a lot of blog inspiration lately? I found that when I was spending a lot of time planning a certain project I started thinking about making all kinds of other changes - changes that aren't me. I took a few week break from looking at anything decorating related and realized I still love the same look I have even though it's not trendy. If this applies to you, try taking a break so you can see if you're being true to you.

Very pretty rooms!

- Also wanted to mention I really like the mirror. I think art would look nice too if you found something you liked, but I honestly like it right where it's at. It appears expensive, is very nice looking, and I think it works in that spot. I wouldn't change it unless you're tired of it.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 12:43

• jjam
    9 years ago

I usually don't like accent walls but I like it. I think you just need some more blue elsewhere in the room so it doesn't look like it appeared out of nowhere. What about some blue in some window treatments? I could see some panels with a large scale pattern with a lot of blue in it. I also love your mirror. I would hang it up higher and use some greenery on your mantle. Honestly, the vent doesn't even bother me. Pretty room!

• eagertopaint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sheesharee, the color of the paint on the other walls is BM Frappee. I am very happy with that color. The blue accent wall once was that color. I painted the accent wall blue last November. I love color. Just this wall seems to,be staring at me lately. Yes, I have been looking at a lot of blogs lately for inspiration. I kind of like my cluttered homey look. Then at times I second guess my decisions. Your telling me to,take a break and be true to myself is just what I needed to,hear. thanks.
    Jam, thanks for your kind comments. I will certainly consider the panels with some blue. I once had panels ,but didn't care for the fabric that I had used. I think large scale blue might be just what it needs,

• sloyder
    9 years ago

I could never understand why one needs an accent wall. I would get rid of it, or maybe paint it a little darker shade of gray if you want a little more contrast.

• redcurls
    9 years ago

If you really still want an accent wall, I'd pick a a bit darker than the other walls, but in the same color scheme. I, myself, would just paint it the color of the other walls..with no accent wall.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Actually, seeing the whole room, rather than an accent wall, I'd paint the fireplace wall, the ceiling and the wall opposite the fireplace one color and then paint the end walls something different. A dark color on the ceiling will help bring the high ceiling down and make the room feel more unified and accessible.

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator