Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parma42

How to decorate in a *timeless* style

parma42
15 years ago

I've been reading the post about predictions in decorating trends (until it became an economy driven doom and gloom scenario). It made me think about what makes an interior timeless, instead of trendy.

When I saw some interiors of homes for sale, in an area that we could never afford before the market tanked, they all looked like they would need extensive remodeling. These houses are only 10 years old.

I'd rather not get into typical digs, like stainless, etc, as those are easy fixes. So I'm asking...if you could build a home today, or just redecorate one, what reads timeless to you?

Decor and/or architectural suggestions are welcome. :)

Comments (45)

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My favorite home was built in the thirty's or forty's it is a Dutch Colonial and I think it is timeless. It looked good in 1940 and today in 2009.

Except I would renovate the kitchen making it larger and industrial with high ceilings and big shabby chic pieces.

Is that what you are talking about?

.....Jane

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I hope you all will not buy into this gloom-n-doom scenario painted by the mainstream media. The economy was much worse the day after Nixon resigned from office; it was much worse during the Carter years when home mortages fixed were 17-20%; it was much worse the day Donald Trump crashed the stockmarket in late 1988. George Soros has done nothing that has not been done before to our economy. There were a few months in the early days of Reagan where the unemployment rate was twice what it is now. There is very little to no inflation now although there will be. Interest rates are low. The sky is not falling, Chicken littles. The politicians are painting this scenario so you will feel good about living in a third-world country; don't buy it. Unemployment has been much higher in the past 30 years than it is now. Decorate your houses with optimism, refinance at these low rates and get the economy percolating and send those jobs that were breaking the backs of the economy to another country where they can break the backs of their economy or succeed. The housing market always has and will still save the day.

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

Don't follow a trend for a whole room.

Don't stick to one particular style in any one room.

Let things wear out a bit.

Don't change something if it is *out* of fashion.

Its hard to say what is "timeless" within the context of a particular time:

if you had asked people in the 60s and 70s if hardwood floors all over the house were timeless, they probably would have said "no", although hardwood has been popular more often than not. However, wall to wall is showing again in a lot of magazines...I think people may actually move away from it in bedrooms again.

Madeleine Castiang (spelling?) who was one of the early french decorators had upholstered walls in one room and the visitor examined it to see what the "detail" was on the applied ribbons. --It wasn't a detail, she had tired of the original covering and pinned ribbons onto it. The pins had been in so long they had rusted. Some decorators say they have recreated the same living room in their own houses as they moved, over the past 30 years. This is what timeless style is about.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I like my hardwood floors. I have always loved them in the public area, and yes, the kitchen. I don't like hardwood or tile in bedrooms. I had that in California. I love that snuggy bunny feeling of awakening on cold mornings (even in Alabama) to rugs beneath my feet and carpet underneath creating a layer of warm.

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

We built a home 2 years ago and I tried to keep the thought "timeless" in mind as I made some decisions. The main thing I tried to do is build what I LIKE and decorate it in a way that fit our lifestyle. I know it's easy to say do what you like and don't be swayed by the in thing because many times we like what is "in". It feels fresh and different and many tend to like it. But I think if you've been drawn to certain things for years you'll tire of it much less quickly. So I thought back to things I've been drawn to for the past 25 years. I like old reddish brick although in our neighborhood French country stone with brownish bricks are very "in". I like deep front porches with a swing, corner brick fireplaces in a hearth room, wide planked wood floors, white cabinets, breakfast bars with stools, lots of windows, built in bookcases and dining room cabinets, and double front doors. I got all those things and I've decorated in an updated country style that suits our casual living. My DH hates to sit on leather so I only have one large comfy leather chair. He likes carpet on his feet in the morning so we carpeted the master bedroom. We like ceiling fans and put them everywhere including the bathroom. I think all of this is at least timeless to ME. I've consistently liked these things throughout my life so in building my forever house I thought long and hard about what I like vs what is in style at the moment.

Now some of the things I was influenced by trends are wood/iron combo stairway, stainless appliances, dark granite counters, and a color scheme of soft golds, sage greens, and reds. I chose these but I do think they will probably date the house at some point. Some I will learn to love anyway and some things I can update as time goes by.

• teacats
    15 years ago

Well, I cruise through Realtor.com looking at the older homes in many cities across the U.S. It is great fun -- and feeds my "curious, nosy old cat" nature!

It is ALWAYS fascinating to see both "original" homes and "renovated" ones -- and each provides marvellous lessons in "timeless" decorating. Of course -- best of all -- you can sit and analyze what you think "works" for each house and what you would change in a heartbeat!

It seems to come down to finding a "Livable Balance" (remember -- balance is NOT a fixed point -- it refers to a beam on a fulcrum point -- which can tilt in either direction -- it can change!) which means working within the Realistic Budget (both the homeowners AND the location, style and features of the home) and "Current Living Needs" and "Possible Selling Features/Trends" Finding a Balance means that have to find a set of Needs, Wants and Wild-and-CRazy Dream Schemes.

Timeless Features (or the ones I see mentioned on Realtor.com again and again):

Remember these features can be reworked into many decorating styles:

Hardwood Floors
    Marble or Stone (of various types) Floors
    Fireplace(s)
    Real wood kitchen cabinets
    Replaced windows to French Doors (or Sliding ones in a more modern decor)
    Sensible working kitchen configuration
    Sensible laundry option (whether in a room or closet)
    Sensible Closet and Storage space
    Updated Plumbing
    Updated Wiring
    Updated HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning)
    Updated Insulation
    Updated Landscaping (takes into account those regional needs and differences of course! -- fencing if necessary; drainage issues; seating area; eating area; play area; a place for parking etc.)

Just some thoughts .....

Jan

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

Mediterranean villas in Southern California, adobes in New Mexico, salt box houses in the East....anything that fits the climate and living conditions will be timeless. The same really goes for interiors too. To some extent form should be driven by function because a comfortable house is a timeless house. The extreme minimalist style works for few people over the long run so I suspect it will not stand the test of time. A modified version of it probably will. Oriental rugs, honest wood furniture, deeply comfortable sofas and chairs, great art on your walls, living plants and flowers in your home, bookcases full of books - I don't think any of these will ever be out of style. And, if you really love it, in some adapted form it will always be timeless for you. Good antiques will never date a house. Avocado green walls and golden appliances just might. Cream walls and appliances which are harmonious and easy to live with it will probably always be in. Stainless steel kitchens that look cold and clinical will most likely be out as soon as they no longer have the cachet of the upscale and trendy. Sticking to basic and classic lines and updating with accessories that can be replaced may be the best bet for a timeless home.

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Whenever I watch an old TV show (like Frasier) or a movie, from back in the day, and think how great it all still looks, I take note.

A few of the things they all have in common are great art/sculptures, classically lined furniture (be it traditional or contemporary), wonderful rugs and WTs, and an eclectic nature.

If Magnaverde were to chime in, he'd say anything from Horchow will soon be destined for Target. I don't go that far as they have always had some styles that, IMO, would stand the test of time.

CL is loaded with great things but some are unable to go that route (DH).

Guess I'm just having one of those "OMG, I've got to get this place finished!" moments. As I mentioned on one of the yellow threads, our decorating plans and budget have taken a turn for the worse. I got off to a good start and am down to sputtering. It might be cheap drapes and the posters back on the walls for now.

• postum
    15 years ago

If I were to build a house from scratch, and really wanted it to be timeless, these are the things I would include/exclude:

* No more than 2000sf total.
    * quality wood windows.
    * stained (rather than painted) woodwork.
    * stained wood kitchen cabinets in a simple style, with plenty of drawers and pull out shelves. Cabinets should go to ceiling. I would not put in a permanent island. I would not put in marble counters.
    * covered front entrance with wide (min. 38") front door.
    * I would have a large kitchen with a dining area (farmhouse kitchen), but not an open plan (not open to the living room.)
    * a separate room near the kitchen that could be used as a dining room, but could alternatively be a library, office, playroom, etc. No formal dining room that you see as you enter the house.
    * hardwood floors throughout; possibly tile in baths and kitchen (my preference is slate or adobe rather than hex.) For spaces that need a warmer surface, oriental rugs or solid color rugs.
    * a natural gas fireplace. (That might be a local bias - we have many days when we are not allowed to burn wood, and traditional fireplaces also suck a lot of heat out of the house.)
    * a good sized entry/foyer with a coat closet.
    * no twenty foot high ceilings. My ideal ceiling height would be nine feet.
    * no enormous rooms, especially bedrooms. But, I think roomy, well designed closets will always be popular.
    * plain ceilings (no texture) in off white.
    * my preference for walls is a warm off-white.
    * no can ceiling lights.
    * I love porches, but they must be designed to be usable - out of the wind, not too much or too little sun, etc.
    * all of the "green" options you can fit in. As the technology changes, some of these may become obsolete. But I would definitely use the best insulation, double or triple glazed windows, a gray water system (if you live in a dry area like mine), on-demand hot water heating, energy efficient roofing, etc.
    * no wallpaper.
    * no panelling.
    * white porcelain toilets, sinks, and tubs. (though of course clawfoot tubs are wonderful.) Simple pedestal sinks.

The most important thing, I think, is quality craftsmanship throughout, and also the absence of artificial materials (laminate flooring, vinyl windows, etc.)

• User
    15 years ago

Our designer told me to throw away catalogs of home decor as soon as they enter the house. :)

• niecieb
    15 years ago

Mimi 2006..The description of your home describes exactly the type of home DH and I want to build. Would you share pics? I would love to see them and floor plan too if you have that. Thanks.

• ronbre
    15 years ago

you can never go wrong with classics and staying away from trends. Classics are classics because they are timeless.
    When I am decorating a home I always avoid trends..some decorators do not, as they know if they decorate the home in a trend they will have a repeat business..redecorating everytime there is a new trend..updating.
    Timeless homes never need updating..repairs yes..updating no.

Imagine the grand old victorian ladies..when people REDO them they always search for classic fixtures and furnishings for them..they don't want sleek and modern..they want classics.

same with the new lean toward Stickley/arts and crafts..people are seeking out the old mouldings and the arts and crafts furnishings and fixtures to match the houses.

other than the ultramodern and jetsons ..most homes have a background in a classic style.

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

Don't have too much of a good thing.

: )

That is all I have got!

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I think that being true to your own tastes is important in achieving a look that will stand the test of time. None of my furniture "matches" but it all shares the common thread that I Like It. Surprisingly, all the furniture that looked good in my Florida ranch now looks equally well in my New England faux-Craftsman.

So, I think it is important to be clear about what you really like vs. what looks good to you right now. If you get something new, something that is "in style" and love the freshness of the look, your affection may wane after the newness wears off.

I also agree with a previous poster who said to avoid doing a room all in one look. I think that can get oppressive. If you like French Country, get a FC chair and enjoy it. Make it work with other disparate items by tying it all together through color. If it gets old, you can simply move the chair to a bedroom and not have to do over the entire room.

The interesting thing about some of those "looks" is that they are our fantasy of what the look is. Go to a French Country house and there will be a mishmash of hand-me-downs and only a few of them may even slightly resemble Pierre Deux.

• magnaverde
    15 years ago

Beware of anything marketed as "Timeless"

Here's the thing: the very concept of timelessness is every bit as subject to the whims of fashion-and marketing--as your average teenaged girl's closet. Today, we bestow the word 'timeless' on 1910-era kitchens with white brick-laid subway tiles, oak caabinets & floors & bronze-&-opal glass lights, but that's notr rally correct, because in the 193Os, a room like that, far from being thought timeless, would have been considered a dated horror and the owners of such a hellhole would have lost no time replacing the dingy oak cabinets with enameled steel cabinets with linoleum tops, tearing out the wall's boring tiles & painting the replastered walls Jadeite green, covering the oak floor with jazzy patterned linoleum and trading the old light fixtures with the latest exposed-fluorescent tubes. Timeless is relative, see.

Today, a lot of people would consider that that 'updated' kitchen's new decor--minus the fluorescent fixtures anyway--as charming in itself . Even timeless. But by the 7Os, the same 3Os kitchen would have seem hopelessly dated, so they'd no doubt have improved the room by scrapping the out-of-style metal cabinets & replacing them with timeless beauty of recessed-panel wooden cabinets in a classic honey-color maple, and instead of out-of-date Venetian bilnds at the windows, they'd hang traditional tieback curtains of calico patchwork. Such a classic look. A traditional, timeless American look, sort of like Little House on the Priarie. Until, that is, all those busy patterns & dark woods started looking r-e-a-l-l-y gloomy. I mean, really, who wants to live is an unheated cabin with no lights?

So an up-to date owner would probably want to upgrade the joint and replace all that dated 7Os decor with something more classic. More timeless, you know? Darks woods were, of course, out of the questiom, and white seemed so boring & stark & cold--like those metal kitchens in the 193Os--but everyone likes a soft, timeless shade of, say, almond, right? Not too dark, not too light, just simple, classic & timeless. yeah, well good luck on that.

Anyway, if any of the trendy stuff that's being marketed as "timeless" at the moment were really all that timeless, they wouldn't need to market it at all, because people would have always loved it and would already be buying it. In fact, they would have never stopped buying it. But that's seldom the case with whatever style or color or motif the magazines & the shows & the advertisers are hyping as timeless at the moment. In the 5Os, French provincial was timeless. In the 8Os, country decor was timeless. This year, it's Belgian decor.

And yet, if the calm, neutral tones & strength of character & honesty of Belgian decor were really timeless, shouldn't we have been wanting it--and buying its component pieces--all along, instead of ignoring it till half an hour ago? How can a style it be timeless if most people never even heard of it till day-before yesterday?

And, conversely, if the warm woods & rich, autumnal colors of "Tuscan" decor is really as timelessly beautiful as advertisers told us it was ten years ago, how is it that a lot of them have already stopped selling the stuff? A thing of beauty is supposed to be a joy forever, isn't it? No, it really isn't. In fact, most of the time, it's only a thing of beauty as long as marketers tell us it is, after which it quickly becomes tacky & dated, and if we're not careful, we'll soon find ourselves living in the decor equivalent of Cinderella's coach after it turned back into a pumpkin. Yuck. Who wants that? In a few years, the only place you'll be able to find wine posters or plastic-grape-bedangled rusty iron scrollwork doodads (or the plastic or version thereof) is at yardsales. By then, even T.J. Maxx will have dropped the stuff. I remember when the rough finishes & subtle pastels of "Southwest" decor--the dream catchers made in Indonesia, the alleged Navajo rugs made in who-knows-where, the big rustic pots & baskets--were marketed as classic examples of Timeless American Style. When's the last time you saw a howling coyote wooden candlestick? Where's the timelessness?

No, there's only one way to get a decor that doesn't start ticking away toward the end of its shelf life the moment you get it home: don't watch TV decorating shows, don't buy glossy decorating magazines, don't ever look at those mail-order catalogs and never, ever, buy anything new. Of course, that's easier said than done, and if we all did it, it would, as Patricia43 suggests above, send our consumer economy into even more of a tailspsin than we're already in. But that's a different problem.

At any rate, how would I suggest that people create a "timeless" decor? By doing excatly what I've always done: buying whatever I want and not worrying in the least whether or not anybody else likes the way it looks. That, of course, implies not asking people--even knowledgable people on public message boards--how they think something looks. But it will pretty much guarantee that your house won't end up looking just like your neighbor's house. Put it this way: I bet that Axel Vervoordt----the newest poster boy for the "timeless look" du jour--ever asked anybody else for their opinion of his work.

Regards,

Magnaverde.

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

Amy...so well said! Those are words to live by!

I'm going to copy & paste your post & print it out so I have it handy as a reminder. I mean, I can feel my shoulders relax & my neck untense when I read it.

Bravo...& thanks!

• amysrq
    14 years ago

S-G, you are very sweet to say that. I may just print out your post to remind myself that I am not always totally off the wall! ;-)

Magnaverde, I think I have lived in each one of those kitchens at some point in my life!

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Magnaverde, I think you described me to a T! As I've said before, I was born old when it came to decorating. I've never been trendy or "in style". Actually in high school I was the one who set the style. lol. But I digress. :)

The only "fad" I caved into kicking and screaming was granite, and that's because I found one I actually like.

I do have one item of decorating I will always see as timeless, and I've been using them since I was a poor college student hitting garage sales. Lace Doilys, runners and table cloths. I still use them, but sparingly.

Everything else I do what I like. My dh and I were laughing the other night when our builder laid down some tile for the kitchen to give us an idea what it would look like, and boy was it colorful. We'll probably be the only ones who like it, but do I care? No. We both agreed that we liked it and didn't care what anyone else thought. I've finally converted him to COLOR. Which is also timeless, IMO. :)

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

To me, I think timelessness is about honesty.

If you like a certain style, get the real version of it, and not a contemporary copy. I love Danish Modern and have lots of it in my house, but am not very into all the watered-down Target versions for sale. The materials aren't the same, the colors are altered, the lines are different. Same for any other style - if you're into French provincial, scrounge until you find some actual pieces, not modern or 1970's "antiqued" versions. It doesn't have to be expensive, and it makes it more fun to have a defined style goal when browsing CL or vintage shops.

When I look around my place, the things that seem to really work over the years are the pieces that are authentically from their period, and the things that seem to date quickly are the modern replications.

I also tend to think that any house whose interior matches the exterior will seem more timeless than those which differ radically when you walk in the front door. Was on a house tour the other day and saw a fabulous 1970's ranch that was still done in classic 1970's colors, and it looked fresh and 'right' and I hope the next owners don't rip it all out and create sand-hued Little Tuscany in there. :-)

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

People know what they like and know when it looks good, for the most part.

Many people on here are very talented decorators and we know who they are.

I buy and decorate the way I like and really I know when it looks good. But, sometimes I like to get feedback from other people.

Magnaverde says don't go out and buy glossy magazines and such. Meanwhile, his apartment was featured in O home magazine which I ran all over Birmingham looking for. And was not disappointed. I'm sorry I like to look at the way other people live.

I loved Magnaverde's green in his apartment and he was the incentive for me painting my upstairs bathroom an olive green. Green being the operative word, his was way more green.

Okay enough already. Question? Does my butt look too big in this picture? lol

This was a picture at auction not too long ago.

.....Jane

{{gwi:1669880}}

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I agree with the above that timeless has to do with appropriate. The furniture can be an electic mix (and should IMO), but the interior details of the house should go with the house, pretty much.

If one looks at long periods of time, some of the elements that people often ask about in here "is XYZ dated?", are often the things that have the most longevity...they may not be "fashionable" but they are the most common over time.
    White bathroom fixtures, white tile, white kitchen appliances. Chrome (or polished nickel) fixtures in kitchens and baths; polished or slightly matte brass for hardware and lighting. Polished brase doorknobs have been on houses pretty much without interruption for 200 years, most lighting has been brass, and nickel/chrome came in with the Victorian hygienic movement. So, some of these things may cause temporary boredom, but they are never incorrect choices.

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Lol, Newdawn! A great sense of humor is a timeless virtue!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I must've cross posted with Newdawn...That is an awesome studio piece, do you remember what the estimate was?

Of course the other issue is where do you hang things like that?

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Palimpset the picture was in the brochure I didn't go to the auction.

I don't know where one would hang a picture like that. I don't think I would have the nerve.

Thanks stinky! I'm in a funny mood today as in ha ha.

Now back to cleaning house, eck!

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Timeless? I think the only thing that's ever really timeless is a mixture -- and even that can be dated to it's newest item.

Whoever made the point about locale and comfort, and about authenticity is onto something key. I've seen some fabulous classic New England Colonials, but here in Houston -- sorry, but they don't exactly look 'timeless'. They're still pretty -- just so out of place!

I've got to disagree with Magnaverde on one tiny detail -- I don't buy NEW design magazines, but I love OLD design magazines. Whenever you find a space in an OLD design book that still looks great -- THEN you've got something to work with. I remember seeing a fabulous kitchen in a 1960's kitchen book that I saw some time in the early 2000's. Sure, the appliances and light fixtures were dated -- but the brilliant teal-peacock glazed tiles, Saltillo floors, stained oak cabinets and brick walls could have been done any time between 1850 and 2050.

That's what I strive for -- When buying something durable, I look for a style that could have been made/used continuously or repeatedly over the past 50 years.

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Newdawn, the Rubenesque figure is one thing that is truly *timeless*. :) Where to hang can be problematic. I had an odd experience, back in my 20's. There was a beautiful etching, of two nude women, that I had purchased and hung in my living room. Some worker (electrician maybe?) came in one day and saw it. He started freaking out about women wondering why they get raped and that had no business on a wall. Geez Louise!

Back to the thread...I tend to buy unrelated things that I love and figure (hope) that they will find their place, wherever I live. The only things that match in my home now are the DR chairs and they don't match the table.

I always paint with golds because I never tire of them. They make me smile and every so often, they are actually *in*.

• beverly_nj
    14 years ago

I loved Magnaverde's post. The only exception with magazines, etc. that i have is: look at the pictures, but don't read the articles -IMHO. You can sort through what appeals to you and what doesn't that. It's easier to see a finished room than a bunch of square samples. An odd example: I always bring pictures to my hair dresser because she loves to use them in discussing what I like and what I don't. I NEVER get a haircut that looks exactly like any of the pictures. She ALWAYS makes me look fabulous!!

Another thing that i like in decorating. Most of the pieces should have a story to go with it. (Like "DH and I went to Sedona for vacation and found this great picture in shop next to our favorite restaurant where blah blah blah happened.) That kind of stuff tends to give a home some good character even if you don't get to tell everyone who visits the story. (If I were param42 I would have kept that picture just for the story --though probably not in the living room!)

• magnaverde
    14 years ago

No, Sweeby, we don't disagree at all. I'm totally with ya.

When I said "Never ever buy anything new" that also included design magazines. Old ones, of course, are just fine. I trained my eye on the dusty 193Os copies of House & Garden in my grandparents' attic. Nothing glossy about them.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Parma that is a cute story. Did you keep the pictures?

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

No one can clear a room quicker than me. It's a gift what can I say. lol

• childofgrace
    14 years ago

In 1971 like other brides, I registered at a local jewelry store for the new "Sculptured Grape" pottery as wedding gifts. Next came choosing the perfect wallpaper to compliment all the dishes and serving pieces we received. Meticulously matching up fruit clusters and vines on the walls of our kitchen would be worth every ounce of energy and patience it took. What began simply as a love for a grape on a plate, had flourished into a full fledged vineyard. I had cultivated a theme kitchen inside my home. Where was my guidance?

There were the plates, then the walls, and gradually I found myself really needing the latest, greatest 70's avocado frost free refrigerator with built in ice maker. You're right; they just don't make appliance like they use to. Thank goodness. Who wants an old, especially wrong-colored refrigerator to last forever?

Not me! But I later had no choice but to haul the still fairly ageless "big mean green machine" to our newly built house. With a completely different style of wallpaper, I had hoped to camouflage the now undesirable one. Years later after finally purchasing the once again fashionable white-colored appliance, we sent the old, still humming, refrig on its way down the road.

Maybe it was the combination of the avocado green painted kitchen cabinets, the avocado green peel-n-stick tile floor, the avocado kitchen curtains, the portable avocado dishwasher with wooden cutting board and also the avocado green mixer, can opener, blender and fondue pot that I couldn't get pass. Eventually, even though I still loved the blue grape dishes, I found that they never seemed the same without the missing crucial elements. Without the vines, the grapes could no longer flourish. (Yes, it's scriptural, check for yourself.)

So, I boxed my chosen pattern up and gave them to a friend, She, many years ago also said no to the other Poppytrail "Daisy" pattern that coordinated with harvest gold, and chose our same beloved grape pattern. She was thrilled and I was excited that my "fruits were not in vain". The grapes would find another home and her vineyard quadrupled overnight.

Today, the same owner who bought the house from us, may often see me traveling pass in route to my oldest son's home a block further down the street. I drive slowly by our first little place and remember almost thirty three years ago, the day we brought him home from the hospital. Even after all these years, the pink brick house still brings joy knowing what I once toiled hard for still flourishes. The owner has made many improvements and the house's outside appearance shows fruits of his love.

As I carefully examine everything, I love that the yard is green and healthy looking. Yet, I can't help but to wondered about the inside. I hope the blue and green grape vines have not been taken down and the fruit remains. I hope it has multiplied. I hope grapes are hanging from the ceiling and have even grown out the back door. I hope that the owner has found complete joy there. Hey, I even hope he still has one of those beautiful avocado-green refrigerators that hums. The other day I read, if your refrigerator is avacado then it is probably not green! LOL

Do I ever want avacodos and grapes again? Absolutely not!!!!! But if I was asked on one of those days in which my harmones are in complete charge of life, I could find myself spilling a few tears for the sake of memories and saying, well just maybe, just maybe.

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Childofgrace, that was so lovely it should be in a magazine. Thanks for the beautifully painted pictures.

Timeless? English Country.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Dang she had me back to 1971. What a wonderful story Childofgrace, and written so beautifully.

• awm03
    14 years ago

I like looking at period rooms in museums and at old decorating books & magazines. I love articles on the great decorators of the past. The rooms that seem to last are rooms that have beautiful color combinations, perfect scale, and a visual balance.

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, newdawn. Don't think you "cleared the room". I don't usually spend much time online at night. DH gets jealous if I'm on the computer, in the evenings, with my cyber-friends.

It was actually two girls-one piece of art and, no, I don't still have it. Being a bit of a commitmentphobe, in my youth, I would assuage my guilt by leaving most of my possesions behind. Thank goodness I stored some things with my mother.

Childofgrace, I remember when the choices were avocado or harvest gold and was lucky I always liked those colors. Today, they may be a different tone but they're still green and yellow/gold.

I like looking at the old decorating books but the magazines make me shudder. Seeing women mopping the floor in full skirts and pearls just doesn't seem right, IYKWIM.

• rtmom2
    14 years ago

"Timeless" is a hard phrase to use. I believe, styles stick around about 10 yrs, than come back around 25 yrs latter. Just like clothes fashion. We are seeing clothes from the 60's and 80's out there now. 15 yrs ago when I got married oak was it. All our furniture we bought was oak. Well, now we've changed the living room to that dark cherry color, I want a new kitchen set - bye-bye farmhouse oak to a dark wood color top (birch or maple) and creamy white bottom and I do have to live w/ white washed oak bedroom set (to expensive to change, but when we can it may be back in style). We also just redid the kitchen. When my mother did hers 10 yrs ago she also used oak, I had Ugly white laminated cabinets and switched to a carmel tone maple. I have now fallen in love w/ maple. So I do think oak will be back, but when?

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Circus Peanut's observation about getting the real thing resonates with me. It think that regardless of era, whatever was best in a particular generation will maintain its quality simply because it was the best. That speaks to buying the best you can afford. Of course, it doesn't mean I think I can get away with each and every era represented in my house. But, I do think you can mix it up if its all of the very best quality.

As to the nudes...because DH has been a student of painting for as long as I've known him, we always seem to have an assortment of bare naked ladies hither and yon. We do place them carefully and have even pulled a particularly voluptuous Picasso he copied when DD's middle school friends would come for parties. You could see her peeking from the hallway through the kitchen window out to the pool. I never thought that was a good thing with pubescent boys and girls!

For our wedding, we had a one-nude-per-room rule (got married at the house) and juggled all the artwork around, in deference to the old aunties. :-) But, really, what could be more "timeless" than the human figure? It is one style that has never gone out of style!

• mpwdmom
    14 years ago

I know I'm of the minority but we DO buy new things. Most are solid wood pieces (oak & maple) that we order and then get finished to our specs. I like putting my hand on a solid oak desk from 20 years ago and still feel it's....strength. We could hunt down antiques with better construction, but that's pricey and time-consuming.

So yes, I try not to swayed by the decor of the moment, but I'm in love with wood...what can I say, it's just the way I roll. :)

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Mpw, I don't think you're in the minority at all. I think this thread is more theoretical....a "how to do it if we could really do it right" kind of discussion. Even though I think that "buying the best" is the pathway to timeless decorating enlightenment, my reality is Ikea at the moment. In 2002, when we moved to Florida we had little besides books, rugs and art. Easily half of what I've acquired since then has been new. Your furniture sounds wonderful!

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

I don't really get the obsession w/ being timeless -- My purpose has always been in the pursue of beauty (together with function, of course). I bet most people who design a so-called timeless interior (or piece of art/furniture) didn't set out to achieve that. They set out to create something beautiful, and if that happened to stand the test of time, great. If not, who cares---great art are often misunderstood. hehe.. :-D

99.9% of the things in my house are bought used, and are often old (not antique). I don't know if they are *timeless* but in my eyes they are beautiful -- that's good enough for me. :-D the other 0.01% of our stuff are just really ugly, but they are loved & well regarded by my children/DH so okay, I'll let them take a pass. :-D

I read magazine (uber glossy ones) a lot. I also kept older ones. There are always things to be learned, from the past & present -- There are a lot of bad rooms in 1930s magazines just as there are many of wonderful room in 2009 issues. I don't read magazines (or even catalog) so I can learn the newest trend (and jump on the bandwagon). I read to learn new ideas, to see beautiful things and figure out why are certain rooms more appealing than others.

What really bugs me are new things that pretend to be old. Fake patina gets me. There is no shame in being new. I like patina that's there because the piece has been loved been used been around.

So to answer your question, Parma, in order to decorate in a "timeless" style, one must decorate with things (which you think) are beautiful & useful, & well loved.

As for what would stand the test of time, I think in general, a piece of furniture that has nice scale, good proportion, and well crafted has better chance of surviving the design Darwinism compare to something that's poorly designed.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I went to a museum recently which had a European "Main Street" village. Each home (well, room) was decorated as a European family would have styled it.

A few things struck me-- I'm not saying these things are timeless in the "always in style" sense, but to me, they ARE timeless:
    (1) Items were generally handcrafted-- furniture, linens, etc.
    (2) Items were made out of natural materials.
    (3) Items had a purpose: function and/or beauty; most combined both of these elements.

To me, the rooms evoked a sense of simplicity, calm, and beauty.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Perhaps what Parma is also driving at is...a "flexible" style or a "forgiving" style.

In other words a style where particular pieces of furniture, accessories, colors can move in and out, be added and subtracted, etc. *without throwing the whole thing *off** If everything in the the room was timeless, yawn. So "how to" allow trends to move in (and out) and have it work on a continuum is the question.

I think people beat to death trying to "match" everything and obsess over the mismatches. Honestly, I don't ever pick paint to match anything. I think I do it all backwards.

(We all have friends for whom redecorating means changing Everything and if they can't change Everything --who can afford to unless you are buying c rap?--the stuff that stays sticks out like a sore thumb.)

I think that elusive flexibility is what is the kernel of the original thought.

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

I like the Bellaflora's comment about her goal being to create beauty, not timeless decor per se. She's getting down to brass tacks, imo, because really, all of our homes & things are pretty impermanent & transient. In light of the universe, none of us will be here that long (not to sound morose). Furthermore, my heirs will probably not be interested in my stuff, so I guess it will all end up being sold on ebay!

It is about beauty, & there seems to be a general consensus among posters about what elements are beautiful.

The Wabi Sabi approach reminds of, & is in sync with, what a lot of people care about here, such as quality, workmanship, & things not being "glossy" & new.

Here is a link that might be useful: wabi-sabi decorating

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"Perhaps what Parma is also driving at is...a "flexible" style or a "forgiving" style."

I guess I was having a stream of consciousness moment when I posted. It was a conglomeration of other threads and ideas.

I like when palimpsest brought up not decorating a whole room in one style. That's why I am drawn to the eclectic. I am suddenly not comfortable with spaces that follow strict rules on the number of colors they may use and think that the thousands of rooms I've looked at, in print or on sites, have given me more of an idea about my likes/dislikes.

Though the front area of our home is done in mostly golds, greens and reds, I put a blue Moroccan dish, that was a gift from a native, in a prominent place, on one of my bunching tables. I like it there. I've also carried some blue around the corner, into the entry and hallway. Since I've always had golds and a wall color, maybe I'll just start to call that a neutral so I can use more colors without *breaking the rules*. :)

I like mixing lots of patterns and textures and don't like it when something looks like it was brought in to match.

Decorating a house can be similar to planning a garden. Some like the monochromatic and formal, where others like those that appear to be randomly dropped by Mother Nature in a more haphazard fashion.