Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kam76

Grass cloth?

kam76
10 years ago

I was watching American Dream Builders...any of you guys watching that and the grass cloth cut into squares and placed at different angles was very interesting. I was thinking it might be nice in my office - I think it would make the room cozy...or maybe a metallic grass cloth above the white wainscotting in my dining room. Has anyone used it? Do you have a good source/advice?

Comments (9)

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Grass cloth is very, very difficult to work with even for a professional. Anyone who thinks cutting it on different angles and hanging randomly is in for a shock. This might be more difficult than inventing a cure for the common cold unless you have a laser cutter.

• kam76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol, okay thanks for the advice patricia. I have never worked with it before. That is a little frustrating because on the the show they said they were trying to do things that were accessible to the average homeowner. So the person I hire to hang wall paper would not be able to do this? I wonder if they had a lazer cutter on the show. It sure looked nice. Maybe there is some place that sells them in "tile" form already pre cut?

• chispa
    10 years ago

We did a Stark Metallic Duo Sisal and the "good" wallpaper guy did not do such a great job with it. He said it was the hardest one he had worked with ... I also think he is getting too old for this type of physical job. He came through the designer we used and we were not happy that she didn't wait for the "excellent" guy to have time on his schedule. It isn't in the main rooms and we wanted to be done with the designer, so we accepted the end result with some cleaning and sheet rock fixes paid by the designer.

• kam76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you have pics of yours chispa? I'd love to see the metallic one installed.

It is totally typical of me to unknowingly choose the most difficult or most expensive thing. I seem to have a knack for it.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I will "third" the difficulty of working with grasscloth. The hanger who did it for my parents in 1975 had never worked with it before despite decades of overall experience, and when he was done he said he would not hang any more of it, so to call someone else if they wanted it done.

The simpler room came out fine, the one with multiple doorways not so good. My parents had enough left over that about 20 years later they had one wall completely redone by someone who did a good job.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I hung grasscloth twice....in 1980 and 1984...and actually, I found it easier to work with than regular wallpaper because it is thicker and doesn't flop and fold as easily. Both were accent walls. I dont know what a professional might have thought of my job..but the paper stayed up and looked nice until I tired of it and took it down.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I didn't see the show, so don't know if the look could be attained with faux grasscloth wallpaper. I've linked some below. Also search Google for metallic faux grass cloth.

Here is a link that might be useful: faux grasscloth wallpaper

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I never found wallpaper difficult to hang but working with grasscloth and anaglypta, with the difficult cuts around doors, windows, electrical outlets, etc, of grasscloth and the inability to roll anaglypta out of fear of depression are more than I want to tackle at my age.

I did a friend's den/library (large room) in grasscloth which did not have as many doors, windows, etc., as my LR/DR combination which was my second and final hanging of grasscloth back in the 1970s in my typical ranch, but that was a wild ride.

I got it done and it was beautiful. Before I moved in the late 1980s it was still beautiful. I painted the cinnamon striped grasscloth to a lacquered cinnabar color in 1985 with a cream colored tuxedo sofa, Chippendale tables, etc., and Chinese decorative accents including beautiful screens in the DR.

So, if you do a straight wallpaper without any of the zigging and zagging, you can later paint it a pretty color and keep it. It is expensive and worthy of keeping for more than a couple years.

When you master that, you can anglytpa your ceilings, which I have done in 2 different houses. Don't do this if you suffer from vertigo or fear of heights.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

While it is difficult, I did it myself in a foyer many years ago, but I had previously done a lot of wallpapering, so did have the experience of wallpapering. Pasted paper is tricky to handle as it is, but grasscloth is heavier and needs to be worked with diligently as you will more than likely need to add more paste as you hang each sheet.

If you have cats, they'll love it! Make sure you have extra for replacement should you decide to sell your home!! ;)