Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dando_gw

Experience with Restoration Hardware Sofa QUALITY

Dando
11 years ago

Does anybody know how Restoration Hardware, non down filled cushions, hold up? I look at the photo's on RH website and they look awesome.

I look at the same sofa, two years old, on ebay...and the cushions look like cr^p. (wonder if it's just the pictures on ebay, or the down filling, or...is this just the nature of RH sofa cushions?

Comments (23)

• bird_lover6
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That's exactly what I see on craigslist. Three year old sofas that look like there's twenty years old. And linen stretching all over the place is going to make the present day sofas look even worse, imo.

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

I wish I could answer your question, but I was hoping others on here might be able to share their experiences with RH furniture. So I'll bump this up to give it more time. If no one has RH, is there another brand that has that look, but is a better brand they prefer?

• Mick Mick
    11 years ago

Read this article....

Unstuffed

In this case, you don't get what you pay for. If you can isolate which manufacturer is supplying the sofa, you may be able to go directly and save a little bit on the RH markup.

I have heard good things about Lee sofas.

• babs711
    11 years ago

I have a Lee Industries sofa that's seven years old and it still looks great. I'm so very glad my interior decorator friend introduced me to this company that I would have completely overlooked otherwise. I know they make some of Crate and Barrel's sofas. They are very customizable. In this case, you do get what you pay for!

• Dando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lee too short.
    Potery Barn too short.
    Crate and Barrel..too short.

It's not easy finding an english roll arm, charcoal gray linen looking material, no skirt, sofa...that's between 96" and 101" long...for under $3000

But, I will not spend that kind of money on an RH sofa if it's going to look like it's worn out a year later.
    So, custom made....here I come.

Thanks everybody for you help. I've made my decision.
    Hopefully, I'm now finished furniture shopping. Yippie!!!

• chispa
    11 years ago

Take a look at Cisco Furniture. They customize and are USA made in Los Angeles. They have some stores in CA, but their furniture is carried by other retailers too. I have a few of their pieces, but haven't had them for long. The pieces in their showroom seem to be holding up well.

• babs711
    11 years ago

I'd go into a retailer that carries Lee. They can customize their sofas in SO many ways. I was amazed. You can do any fabric, foot, slipcover many of them, etc.

There's this one:

98" sofa

You may be able to get it unskirted.

This one is 97" and is unskirted.

97" sofa

This 93" one looks like the one we have but we have different feet and a different fabric. We have a beige herringbone chenille-like fabric. The one here is awful:

93" sofa

94"

94" sofa

Is 96" your absolute minimum? Ours is 93" and is a great size!

You could try Ethan Allen.

• babs711
    11 years ago

Oh, and you can't see all of their fabrics online. You need to head to a retailer. There are tons.

I would like to say that I have no affiliation whatsoever to Lee Industries. I'm just thrilled at the quality of the build and the quality of the fabric of our sofa over these years. We have an active family of four. I was hesitant about spending over $1500 for a sofa at all. But to get this long out of it is pretty impressive. I've only had to spot clean the cushions every now and then. I'm toying with getting the back cushion fill replaced since they're getting smushier. But after this amount of time, I'd expect it to be destroyed! It still looks great and fluffs fine. I'm just being nitpicky and wanting a bit more support like a new sofa would give since we're about to move into our new build soon. If you can find a Lee sofa to fit your needs, I'd certainly do so. The quality for the money is superb.

• Dando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"You'll know it when you see it". This is true.
    And this "was" it right up until I saw what one looks like two years down the road.
    It's the right length, depth, style, can be had in the right material and color, and...price.

If price was no object, anything is possible. But, lets be real. If price was no concern, there would be no need for this thread.

I was asking about RH due to it fitting the bill on all counts, aside from actual user experience.
    I've seen Lees lineup, And I feel quite certain, at this point, I've seen EVERYBODY'S line-up.
    They just don't offer this sofa at this price range. To stay in this price range, I'd have to settle on something other than what I want.
    If I'm going to do that, I can "settle" just as easily on a $1000 sofa.
    It's tough. Finding EXACTLY what you want on ALL counts, then finding out it won't hold up.

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

Babs--I don't mean to highjack but since Dando seems to have worked out what she wants, could you tell me which cushion fill you have that has worked so well for you? I've also been looking for an English roll arm like RH has and noticed the Lee ones online, just haven't seen them in person yet.

• babs711
    11 years ago

I feel silly that I completely missed the "English" before the rolled part of your arms. Oops.

Have you seen Bernhardt's Tarleton sofa? Broyhill has the Cora.

You're right. The longest Lee has is 89" which is still a great length but not as long as you want. This is hard.

• Northlut
    11 years ago

We have a Restoration Hardware sofa, but it's leather and it has down cushions, so I don't thin our experience is probably very applicable to your situation. But for what it's worth, we've been very happy with it.

• texanjana
    11 years ago

Have you looked at Carolina Chair? It is a family-owned business, all products are made in the U.S.A., and furniture can be customized. My next sofa is coming from them.

I have no affiliation with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carolina Chair Sofa

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info about the down cushions and also about Carolina Chair.

• Dando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Babs711, HOW did you do that!!??
    I have been to at least 20 stores that carry Broyhill.
    I have typed every thing I can think of relating to those sofa's in a google search box.
    NOW...I can't remember IF I've seen either of those in a store. Although, I do "think" we almost ordered a Broyhill from a store.
    We got downright serious with several $1500 sofas, BUT, when we chose the material, it'd wind up being something like a grade 100 (and the sofa in the store for $1500 would be a grade 2).
    We'de hear "sure, we can order that $1500 sofa in that material, it'll be $2800.
    Then, at $2800...we would then NOT be able to live with the depth, or the knifeback cushions.
    OR, our "hole in the wall" that we need to fill is 101.5". We have inched our way down to 96" being acceptable. And, "whats another inch"? Well, ya just gotta draw the line somewhere...I think?? LOL.

I cannot believe that I don't remember seeing that Cora and that Tarleton. Maybe I did and they were just both too deep? Or too high after the material choice? OR, they didn't offer the material we wanted? OR???
    BUT, you just stuck two sofas right there that SURE GOT MY ATTENTION, and the Price sure SEEMS spot on for my budget.

Go figure...Find something better a day after I put in my order...never fails.
    BTW: Here is what I Finally pulled the trigger on.
    1) 97" English Arm Sofa (fits in a 101" long hole in a wall)
    2) 38" deep. (can't handle 42" or deeper because our calves hit the edge and feet don't touch the ground..I just hate that). 40" seemed to be the maximum depth I could deal with.
    3) Sides of the sofa, at the bottom, have a "swoop" contour from front to back. (just looks better than a straight line)
    4) Three wooden legs up front with casters (I dunno, I just like that look)
    5) Three butt cushions, NO down fill (they assure me these will not get bulgy, settle out, or get that broken down, worn out look)
    6) TIGHTBACK (hate knifeback pillows because they resemble "throw" pillows or bed pillows. Would have been fine with normal edged cushions, but, IF I could have exactly what I wanted, It'd be "tightback". I like that look and like the way it won't deform or look "used")
    7) Army Duck Canvas/Cotton Fabric (very durable, almost indestructable based on experience, and has the linen "look" and "texture" we wanted. Difficult to find as an option for most manufacturers)
    8) Charcoal Gray Color (matches and accents the rest of room, and...I won't feel like I have to shower, change clothes, and throw a cover on it if I want to sit down)
    9) $1750.00 (For EXACTLY what I want on EVERY count...I can live with that)
    10) While I cannot comment on "down the road" customer service? I can say for sure: Every call, I wound up talking to ONE person. This guy is "probably" the person that actually builds this, or at the least is very "hands on" during the process. His answers to my questions were a very friendly and polite...."Yes, we do that" or "Yes, we CAN do that" or "Sure, I have no problem doing that". "No, we've never made a chair and a half to match that sofa exactly, but, I've always wanted to...just never had anybody wanting one....I'll be glad to make you one, no problem."

If anybody is interested it's www.thecomfortablesofa.com in North Carolina.

I may regret this, but, as of right now...I'm...GIDDY!!! LOL

• bbstx
    11 years ago
  • Dando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Opps, yes. Couch is correct.
    "the comfortable couch"
    With a few exceptions (that they were very glad to make), This is it.

• babs711
    11 years ago

Lol! I don't know! I've done a TON of sleuthing for this house build. So I've become quite good at it I guess!

Your sofa looks like its going to be very good...and at a good price point too! It looks like you found your own good deal!!

Sujafr, I looked at my sofa tag. My back cushions are 100% poly fiber and the seat cushions are 55% urethane foam and 45% poly fiber. Nothing fancy. We weren't going for super fancy with two young kids which is why I'm so ecstatic about its performance. I also forgot about the hand signed tag (in ink) with the signatures of the cutter, sewer, upholsterers and the inspector that worked on my sofa. I think it's cute and gives it a personal touch.

• bobby74
    11 years ago

I would try Ethan Allen. Exceptional quality and much less expensive then Restoration Hardware. Plus thier uphlstery is very cusom with hundreds of fabrics to choose from. I have had my Ethan Allen sofa for ten years and it still looks new. They have a similar sofa style as the one you were looking at. I attached the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=6530527&categoryId=8102

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

bobby74, I see that you just joined, and have bumped a very old thread.

Are you a dealer? If so, read the rules.

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

This seems to happen a lot.

This post was edited by KevinMP on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 18:20

• Gray Design
    9 years ago

Dando, any follow up post order? I'm considering Comfortable Couch for an upcoming project. How was the lead time/delivery process? Are you still happy with the product a few years on?

thanks!