Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vidyaram

Kitcehn reveal & photoshop help for backsplash(Xposted Kitchens)

vidyaram
12 years ago

Hi All

I have learnt so much from the forums here and would like to thank all you for posting all the information and beautiful kitchens as inspiration.

I would like to share my 1 year old kitchen. Never got a chance to post it so far. It was a new build and we are able to customize it a little bit using some of the standard elements. Here are the pictures and I will post sources if anybody is interested.

{{gwi:1669531}}
{{gwi:1669532}}
{{gwi:1669533}}
{{gwi:1669534}}
View of the island:

{{gwi:1669535}}
Computer desk wall:

{{gwi:1669536}}
Sliding doors to the deck with the curtain:

{{gwi:1669537}}
Fridge corner:

src=http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/myfirstone7/Kitchen%20reveal/DSC_6499.jpg>;

{{gwi:1669538}}

I will post some pics of the family room which is open to the kitchen too in the bottom. Here is a closeup of the backsplash options I am considering. The middle one is my favorite. It is a gray blue glass tile. The right most fits the budget. It is Adex subway tile. The size I am considering is different. It is a 2X4 beveled subway. The color I am thinking is also different.

I would like a big favor from photshop experts. I would like to visualize the gray blue fully in the window wall and the hood wall. DH wants us to tile the computer wall too. Also, is it possible to photoshop two more options. One is Adex celery 2X4 beveled subway tile too fully on all the walls. And the other option is to do the celery/bone with everywhere except beneath and above the hood. I would like to try the gray/blue glass tile just above and below the hood. Please help me make a decision and give your suggestions too.

Here is the link to the adex beveled subway tile:

http://www.adexusa.com/viewproduct.php?id=532

{{gwi:1669539}}
Family room:

{{gwi:1669540}}
Rug in the family room:

{{gwi:1669541}}
Fireplace wall of the family room:

{{gwi:1669542}}
TV wall of the family room:

{{gwi:1669543}}

Another tile I like is this:

http://www.covefinishings.com/MS01.html#

Comments (12)

• vidyaram
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Rest of the photos:

{{gwi:1669532}}
    {{gwi:1669533}}

{{gwi:1669534}}

View of the island:
    {{gwi:1669535}}

Computer Desk wall:
    {{gwi:1669536}}

Sliding door wall
    {{gwi:1669537}}

{{gwi:1669538}}

Fridge corner:
    {{gwi:1669544}}

Here is a closeup of the backsplash options I am considering. The middle one is my favorite. It is a gray blue glass tile. The right most fits the budget. It is Adex subway tile. The size I am considering is different. It is a 2X4 beveled subway. The color I am thinking is also different.

I would like a big favor from photshop experts. I would like to visualize the gray blue fully in the window wall and the hood wall. DH wants us to tile the computer wall too. Also, is it possible to photoshop two more options. One is Adex celery 2X4 beveled subway tile too fully on all the walls. And the other option is to do the celery/bone with everywhere except beneath and above the hood. I would like to try the gray/blue glass tile just above and below the hood. Please help me make a decision and give your suggestions too.
    Here is the link to the adex beveled subway tile:

http://www.adexusa.com/viewproduct.php?id=532

Backsplash options:
    {{gwi:1669539}}

{{gwi:1669545}}

Family room sofa:
    {{gwi:1669540}}

Rug under the sofa
    {{gwi:1669541}}

fireplace wall:
    {{gwi:1669542}}

tv wall:
    {{gwi:1669543}}

Another tile I like is this:

http://www.covefinishings.com/MS01.html#

• Annie Deighnaugh
    12 years ago

Your first post only shows missing links on my page, but I can see the pics in the 2nd post.

I would go to a good tile store to find a tile designer for help. When I first saw the space, I immediately thought glass tile. But a full wall of glass will be too much IMO and not very cost effective. Rather the way to work with tile is to take the expensive stuff and cut it in strips or dots to make patterns. Then you can mix it with less expensive tile to get maximum impact for you $. So for example, run the subway tile up a few rows, then run a row of the glass tile, maybe 3 tiles thick...run it around the room, but when you get to the fume hood, run the glass tile up and create a rectangle of it and inside the rectangle place a few dots of a group of 4 of the tiles to make a mosaic.

That's just an example, but there are many many ideas on line to look at that will inspire you for your space.

www.tileamerica.com has a virtual designer where you can play with tile colors on a kitchen that is similar to yours.

Or just google kitchen backsplash and you will find literally hundreds of ideas to look at.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash pattern ideas

• vidyaram
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks AnnieDeighnaugh for taking the time to respond. I know the pattern I want. It is just that I want to visualize it before taking that big step. I want subways everywhere except above and below the hood. Or I want to do just blue tiles. I convinced my husband to do blue tiles only on the two main ktichen walls to save the budget. But it will be great if I can see it visually:) Thanks for the help!

• lyfia
    12 years ago

Sorry no help on the backsplash, but hoping you won't mind answering what is the wall color in your family room?

• dedtired
    12 years ago

I would discourage you from using the small glass tiles. They are overly popular and will be dated very soon. I used them in my bathroom and I'm sorry I did, even though they are pretty.

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. I love the chrome light fixtures and your cabinets.

My vote is definitely for the blue glass tiles and/or subways over the travertine. You can see how the blue tiles would complement your brown woven shade and furniture just by looking at them next to the travertine mosaic. They would also tie into the blue accents in your living area.

I agree with Annie's suggestion to use the blue glass tiles with white subway tiles, though. I can't visualize an entire wall of glass tiles (but I don't know how to use my PhotoShop either!).

• vidyaram
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lyfia: The wall color in the family room is revere pewter color matched by Pittsburgh paints.
    dedtired: I am scared of that too but I am not loving the colors I get from subway tiles. Right now, DH wants a splash of color. He doesn't get the point about using off white subways and adding a splash of color in the room by painting it.
    juddfirl: Thanks for voting! My gut says to go with the subway and add blue too. I will give a shoutout to atkillery or some other ps experts in the forum.

• trielders
    12 years ago

On a Kitchen forum someone had purchased a full "square" of the tile they were considering and photocopied then taped them to the area. Could you do that?

• vidyaram
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks trielders
    I will try that.

• snagd
    12 years ago

beautiful space! love the colors..i vote subway:) off topic but..your pictures are really nice..can you tell me what camera you are using?

• lyfia
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing the color.

• vidyaram
    Original Author
    12 years ago

snagd: Thanks! I have a nikon d700. I love the camera but never try to use it's full potential.
    lyfia: You are welcome!