Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeowner_2008

Perfect Muted Yellow

newhomeowner_2008
15 years ago

Hello All!

I an in the process of trying to choose a paint color. We have a hallway & family room to paint. The sitting room (which you can see from the hallway and family room) is Guilford Green.I know I want yellow, but am having trouble finding something that isn't too sunshine yellow. We tried Cream Yellow by Benjamin Moore, but I felt like it had too much white in it. I want something that I can best describe as a very, very light mustard yellow. Ideas???

Comments (34)

• amysrq
    15 years ago

When you say it had too much white in it and you want something very, very light I am confused.

Was Cream Yellow too pale? Or too bright....too yellow?

If you want something very, very light, it will have a lot of white in it. So, maybe what you are trying to say is that you want something pale but less pastel, less of a clear yellow, something light but still muted. Is that possible?

• charleney
    15 years ago

Try Soft Moon (lighter) and Honeysweet. I just worried over these two for my parlor. And I love them both. I think you can find them at "my perfect color" , as I cannot remember who put out the chips. I had it mixed as Devine Paint. Good luck. Ps. Soft Moon is on ceiling and painted a whole short hallway in it too. Honeysweet is a little darker.

• newhomeowner_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ya, good point amysrq...and how you described it is better worded that my original post! Thank you:) When we originally did the room in Cream Yellow it was too pastel (reminded me of a nursery room color). While I don't want anything dark (the room doesn't get a lot of light) I want the color to have a richness to it.

• ttodd
    15 years ago

So far my favorite yellow is BM Filtered Sunlight.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Filtered Sunlight might do the trick. If that is still too yellow, go one more step to the right and try Rich Cream. That really looks like a "pale mustard" to me.

• pumpkin_spice
    15 years ago

When I think of a light, muddy yellow, I think of BM Pittsfield Buff or SW Ivoire. Have you looked at those?

• newhomeowner_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all these wonderful suggestions. Once I decide I will make sure to post the completed project!!

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

I've used BM Filtered Sunlight in two places I've lived and LOVE IT every time.

Also have BM Windham Cream which is a pretty yellow. Windham Cream is in my stairway off my bedroom which is BM Van Alen green. I like the colors off each other.

• avaclark
    15 years ago

I chose sunporch by Behr. It is a light mustard yellow but not too light and not to mustard--if that makes sense.... Ignore the light above the table--it was a temp fix.

I just reminds me of a nice sunny day.

{{!gwi}}

• hondagirl
    15 years ago

Have a look at BM vellum cc-200

• ttodd
    15 years ago

The first time I flirted w/ yellow in a main living area I tried the Vellum that Hondagirl suggested. It is a really pretty shade too. Seems a little less Shabby Chic or cheery as Filtered Sunlight. It seemed to have a more 'crusty' (if that even makes sense) to it.

• pirula
    15 years ago

Check out "Farrow's Cream" from Farrow & Ball. Have my living and dining rooms painted in it and it's absolutely beautiful. Very soft creamy yellow, hint of olive. Very warm in the evening. Bright and cheery during the day.

You can see it on the dining room wall (surrounding the corner cabinet), adjacent to kitchen, in this picture. Sorry I have no better picture at the moment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creamy yellow

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Did you try BM's Rich Cream?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    15 years ago

Ben Moore Philadelphia Cream -

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Sherwin Williams Hubbard Squash! (top color & ceiling)

• artlover13060
    15 years ago

I know Lowe's paint is not real popular here, but I have Pale Gold 2 in my kitchen and LOVE it. It's a Laura Ashley color and was recommended to DH when he was putting his "pre-artlover" house up for sale a few years ago.

• cherigw
    15 years ago

BM Vellum in my dining room.

• artlover13060
    15 years ago

I guess I should have posted an example.

Here is Laura Ashley pale gold 2:

{{!gwi}}

And Laura Ashley Sand 3:

{{!gwi}}

And Laura

• brutuses
    15 years ago

artlover, both of those Laura Ashley colors are very pretty.

• Janice
    15 years ago

Check out Ellen Kennon's 'Honeysuckle'! Not too yellow, very soft and sometimes more golden, with a tiny bit of apricot coloring
    on my walls. I need to take a pic. sometime--and will when the project is finished where I'm using it coupled
    with her 'Sand' as the wainscoting color! Love it!!

• Bunny
    15 years ago

my3dogs, in your photo, Philadelphia Cream looks gorgeous. But in my small bathroom, in a semi-gloss, oh my, it's like neon yellow. I detested it at first, but have made peace with it and now it makes me laugh at how I originally reacted. Still, I use it as the yardstick by which I compare all other potential paints containing yellow. It makes other yellows look devoid of color!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    15 years ago

linelle,

I just saw this float to the top, so looked at it again...I used flat in the LR and actually the best (truest) view of it is to the left of the mirror! I do know that sheen can really affect the way a color looks, and I guess between the two of us, we've proven that it can be very different!

• Bunny
    15 years ago

My3dogs, now that I think about it, I don't think mine was semi-gloss, probably eggshell or satin or something bathroom-ish. In some lights, it's very well mannered, but in others it goes nuts. So yeah, one color can have many different looks.

• User
    15 years ago

We have BM Golden Straw in our library and it is soft and pretty, without looking too feminine. There's only a bit of wall showing in this photo, but you can see how well it goes with other colours of yellow, green, etc.

• angeldog
    15 years ago

Take a look at BM Dunmore Cream...I think it's on the same card as Philadelphia Cream....I just painted my dining and family room in this color. I have tons of windows so a lot of sunlight comes thru. At first I didn't like the color, but I've heard it takes a few days for color to settle in and dry completely. I love it now. Its a very soothing creamy khakyish yellow and sometimes has a greenish tint at dusk. If I can remember how to do it, I'll post some pictures later.

• acomom
    15 years ago

Have you looked at BM Concord Ivory? I just brought home a "big chip" (12 x 12?) of it and hung it on my LR wall - love it so far, and think I'll probably end up going with it. It's cheerful without being obnoxious - still feels rich. Based on what you describe, it sounds like it might be worth checking out. This room is in close proxemity to my green Dining Room (Farrow & Ball Cooking Apple Green ... another great color) and it seems to flow pretty well with the Concord Ivory. Good luck!

• angeldog
    15 years ago

This is my dining room in Dunmore Cream:

• juliann74
    14 years ago

I have to second Philadelphia Cream! We just had it painted throughout the kitchen, family room, stairwell, and hallway. We LOVE LOVE LOVE it (I was SO nervous about picking a color)!!

It is just a slight buttery yellow in some light, and creamy in others. If you have an open space that gets any light at all, I would recommend trying this color out.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Philadelphia Cream is beautiful in my3dogs house. I love the names these paint company's come up with. Gosh I would love to have that job.

I have Vanilla Custard by Valspar in my bedroom (even though I don't like yellow) this is a very soft pale yellow. It reminds me of eating custard up north when I was a kid.

Excuse the shovel in my room, I always keep it there.

...Jane

{{gwi:1507263}}

• carolj79
    14 years ago

I looked at paint chips for months and months for my kitchen. My DD finally picked the color for me...Behr Cornerstone. I absolutely love it. It is a very light yellow and actually almost a neutral. Home Depot now has sample pots of paint to try before you commit to a color. Good Luck!!

• laurenk88_pa
    14 years ago

I am painting my room a Lowes color (maybe Martha Stewart??) called Buttermilk Biscuit!

It is soooo subtle, which is why I like it so much.

I don't have any pics yet, but will post when I have some.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

I'd show a picture but I'm too tired to get up and take one. lol.

We just painted SW Tealight (which is a new color) via Benjamin Moore, in the DR, Kitchen, UR, and in the hallway. I'd call it more of a "Butter" than anything. At time's you can't even see the yellow, depending on the light.

• newhomeowner_2008
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, I had no idea that this would get so many responses. Thank you, thank you! I ended up with Desert Tan. Not exactly muted yellow. More like light gold. I promise I will post pictures soon.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022