Houzz Logo Print
ttodd

Incorporated my flat screen (pic)

ttodd
11 years ago

Here is an inspiration pic that I had:

{{!gwi}}

Source: theletteredcottage.net via Tiffani on Pinterest

I really wanted to do something around the TV to incoporate it as well as put something positive on the wall to hopefully (subconciously) influence my children. I figured why not do it around the TV since their little eyes are focused on that wall anyways.

Awhile ago we moved our buffet out of the DR since we always put our food on the table and decided to use it for a TV stand. DVD's are in the drawers, blankets & pillows on the sides. It needs refinished and I'm debating as to whether or not to paint it out. Big decision so I'm taking my time.

I put an engraved trophy bowl on top to corral the TV remotes and DVD cases/ Netflix envelopes of DVD's in the DVD player:

And a vertical shot that shows the white walls, grey ceiling and taupey chandelier. All of the colors tie together (soon - very soon!) in the LR.

This was the first 'free form' arrangement that I've done and I was pleased w/ the results.

When I get around to repainting the walls (different shade of white) I'm going to hide the wires w/ a trick someone did here on GW.

Comments (41)

• Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    11 years ago

I LOVE it!! I have been searching high and low for a buffet that I like to go under my tv...great idea! It really looks great:)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

OMG! That is brilliant. It looks perfect and definitely minimizes the impact of the tv. I may have to do that!!! In fact, I think I will. Now yours will be the inspiration pics!

• porkandham
    11 years ago

It looks great!

• amj0517
    11 years ago

Love it!

• Sugar Plum
    11 years ago

Amazing! You did a wonderful job of selectng and balancing the free-form arrangement, and re-purposing the buffet.

• Bethpen
    11 years ago

Very Fun! I think you did a great job.

Beth P.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Love your gallery wall! I really like subway (word?) art.

tina

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Now THAT should be in a magazine!

• hlove
    11 years ago

You did a great job balancing the pieces. Kudos!

• alexisls
    11 years ago

That looks fantastic!!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Just for a reference point, what size is the tv? I really am going to steal that if I can. Not sure we have the space on the sides, though, since the wall where I want to mount the tv is between two windows.

Hope you are grinning ear to ear after all the glowing comments! I just showed your wall off to my DH. He thinks it looks great, too!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

You did such a nice job. I don't think I have seen someone incorporate/"hide" a TV quite that way before. Brava!

In fact, you outdid your inspiration shot. Their hooks look cool, but what can you really hang there that wouldnt knock over the stuff on top?!

• loribee
    11 years ago

GREAT job!! Looks wonderful...

• ttodd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I was very pleased - I can't believe that I managed to get a free form arrangement done. I have a very hard time computing things that are not identical side by side.

The TV is 42".

I actually started out w/ 7 signs. I put almost every one that the store had on layaway. I figured that I wouldn't be using all of them but I didn't want to be left needing/ wanting in the end like I usually am. I was going to do silhouettes of the 3 kids and put in those frames that have the trees but decided to leave them as is to tie in my other tree photographs that will go back into the room and I am painting 1 48"x48" canvas in a palette of pale but bright aqua, grey & cream.

I'd thought about using 3M Command strips but am glad that I used nails instead. There was a ton of repositioning and stuff. When I repaint w/ the right shade of white (back to SW Pure White I think) I will use the strips to rehang them.

The TV is a bit too high but that was quite an ordeal hanging it and DH & my Dad kept saying 'are you sure because once it's up it ain't coming down. Make sure that you're sure!'. As soon as it was up I looked at my mom and whispered 'Uh-oh'. Mental note for when we move LOL!

It's been a good 2 weeks for my LR. I randomnly logged onto E-bay 5 minutes before the end time of an auction for the perfect throw pillow covers from PB to round out the exact amount of covers that I needed. Took 3 years waiting for just the perfect pairs but I'm glad that I took my time. 3 years for 4 sets overall.

I'd also been eyeing sheer lampshades from PB for a few yrs. to replace the shades that my kids have destroyed, but at $69.99 a pop they weren't a priority. Then on my way home from work last week I stopped in Home Goods and they had 2 shades that were so close to the PB ones (at $16.99 each) that I bought them. When I turned the lamps on the shades also turned out to be sheer so I was even more thrilled!

All I need is for Michaels to have a %50 off sale so that I can buy my canvas and then we're rockin' & rollin'!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Clever and attractive!!!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I'd love to see the rest of the room, you're very creative.

• sweeby
    11 years ago

That looks great!
    I love the way the TV fades into insignificance within your arrangement, yet is still right where you want it to be. Brilliant!

• ashgirl
    11 years ago

That looks great. If I had a "Like" button, I would've clicked multiple times for this one. Very unique!

• katrina_ellen
    11 years ago

Looks great, I also love the grey ceiling, white wall and the the black and brown tones with it. You have a lot of patience to wait that long for things you want, its a good idea because so many times I think I want something, and after a few months I have moved on and thought of something that works better that most times costs me a nominal amount of money if anything.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Problem solved! I love flat screen TVs, but don't like the way they intrude on a room. You have minimized that problem and created an attractive wall arrangement. Bravo!
    Renee

• natesgram
    11 years ago

Double Wow! That really is a great look. We recently moved and I have my tv up on a large wall and don't know what to do with it. Gives me more to think about...

Here is what we did in our previous place to hide the wires.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hiding tv wires

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

I agree that the hooks in the inspiration picture look ridiculous.

Foxes Pad, your arrangement looks AWESOME. Love the ladder with the magazines.

I use an old dresser for my TV stand and I did not mount the TV to the wall because the height was just right using the stand on the dresser. But your photo is now my inspiration for what to do with the 14' long unbroken wall that has the TV on it! I LOVE the look.

My only question is, do you think it will work as well if I use color in the pictures and wall hangings? I have to have color rather than the black and white.

Btw, if anyone ever told me I'd like a grey ceiling I'd say they were crazy, but it works so well in your room, I love it!

• sweeby
    11 years ago

I think you could absolutely use color - but DO include substantial amounts of black either in the frames or artwork, and make sure your art isn't undersized relative to the TV. If your artwork is too light or too small, the TV will be 'the big dark spot' in the middle.

• cliff_and_joann
    11 years ago

That looks wonderful.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cindyloo123 - I could totally see a flat screen TV surrounded by color pics. I second everything that sweeby said, especially about size. The smallest pieces on my wall are about 12"x12".

After having colored ceilings and neutral walls I don't think that I could go back to anything else for awhile.

Natesgram - Thank you for posting your link! That was exactly the post that I was remembering - now I won't loose my mind trying to find that post to show DH!

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

Brilliant, as always. I have never seen a pic of your house that I didn't love!

• amykath
    11 years ago

Super clever!!!! It looks like a photo from a magazine. In fact when I saw it I thought it was another inspiration pic.

I am stealing that idea someday!

Amy

• SharonaZamboni
    11 years ago

Wow! Great job! I think there are now going to be lots more TV wall arrangements :) I'm going to start looking for stuff to make my own!

• rosesstink
    11 years ago

Nice! I've been pondering what to do with the walls around my flat screen and considered something along the lines of what you've done. The one thing I've wondered about though is whether the stuff around the TV Is distracting while you are watching TV. Do you find you just don't notice the artwork while you are watching TV?

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    11 years ago

The impeccable eye strikes again!

• teeda
    11 years ago

Love this! You did an incredible job selecting/arranging the wall art to make the television disappear. Anything to minimize the tv screen as a room's focal point is right up my alley!

• vintagewine
    11 years ago

You have great vision, all I can say is wow.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

i think it looks great!! and, love the messages!

• ttodd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

rosesstink (that's too funny BTW!), no we don't find the signs and pictures to be distracting at all while watching TV.

And thanks again!

• Sheeisback_GW
    11 years ago

I'm late to the party. I saw this the other day quick but didn't have much time...

It looks really great! I really like the arrangement around the tv. All the black and white, ceiling color, chandy, etc. Very well done!

• arlosmom
    11 years ago

I'm late to the party too!! (the story of my life) I love your wall. It really takes the emphasis off the tv and makes it part of the art. Love.

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

Where did you find your artwork?

• ttodd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!

Lake Girl - I got them from my local TJ Maxx.

I have to admit that every now and then when I see the TV hung too high that I want to tell DH that I'm sorry but it has to be moved down a bit. But I won't - he worked too hard on it.

• prill
    11 years ago

That really looks great. LOVE the inspiration pic and how you used it to your advantage. It is really so much better than just seeing that flat screen tv on a wall all by itself.

You got all that stuff at TJ MAXX? WOW.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I should clarify about the art:

The word art all came from TJ Maxx but the tree prints and frames I'd already that I'd purchased from IKEA some yrs. ago.

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

Wow.. creative and it looks GREAT!!