Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kacers_gw

Black paint recommendations?

kacers
13 years ago

I'm planning on painting my DR walls black. We have wainscoting and light furniture. Has anyone used a specific black paint that they loved? I'm looking for specific color recommendations. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• romoro80
    13 years ago

The black color is very attractive to these things, I used the matte black paint Bruges is a very elegant color for this type of decoration.

Here is a link that might be useful: decoration

• alyssak
    13 years ago

Black is not a very popular color for walls since it closes a room in and make it look a lot smaller. Its usually only used in accessories. If you do use black stick to matte.

• kayec28
    13 years ago

There's a saying about certain paint colors...

If you want a good blue, look in the gray section.
    If you want a good yellow, look in the cream section.

And so on...

So, from my experience, if you want a good black, look in the dark gray section.

A deep, rich gray will appear like black without being quite as harsh as true black. I have two Benjamin Moore colors I highly recommend (sorry no pics): Iron Mountain and Kendall Charcoal. My interior doors are painted Iron Mountain and I have an accent wall painted Kendall Charcoal. I think they're both wonderful.

If you have your heart set on a true black, here are some I've seen recommended before, but never personally tried: Benjamin Moore's Blackjack and Sherwin Williams Tricorn Black.

I've linked below to a blog post I've had saved for a while where the blogger had her paint store guy recommend some black paint colors (all BM colors because that's where he works).

Here is a link that might be useful: black paint recs

• flyingpatricio
    13 years ago

Try using the ICI Dulux Accent Line of Paint. Two coats will do you, even in black.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

ICI/Dulux, now Akzo Nobel, uses the color collection named "The Master Palette".

You can find one of the best interior black paint colors in The Master Palette. It's called Dark Secret #1673 00NN 05/000.

All those zeros in its color number indicate chromaticity -- or in this case a complete lack of chromaticity. Meaning it is black, no color, no undertone.

Many interior blacks can have an edge, often unexpected edge, of blue, green, purple or brown. If you want 'just black', Dark Secret is a good option.

Glidden is also part of the Akzo Nobel suite of brands which means you can find The Master Palette colors anywhere Glidden is sold -- like The Home Depot.

• homeagain
    13 years ago

I just painted my DR black this week. It's actually BM Iron Mountain mentioned above and a really deep charcoal gray but it does appear black on the walls. I'll try to post pics in a bit.

• ttodd
    13 years ago

I really like SW Caviar. It is on my hallway ceiling. One of the major deciding factors that went into my decision was the LVR (light reflective value) which I learned about here on the forum.

SW lists the LVR on the back of the colors cards. I wanted my ceiling to recede but still be somewhat noticed so I chose one w/ an LVR of 5.

I know this LVR thing sounds crazy and it's hard to visualize but the best thing that I did was go to SW and pick up their paint strip w/ all black colors. The whole LVR thing started to make sense as I loooked at it and saw the differences in how the light interacted w/ the colors.