Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

Major meltdown

chloenkitty
9 years ago

My kitchen tile arrived and the color is way off from the sample! I am freaking out! My sample size was nearly a full sheet of tile, so it's not like I was basing my purchase on a little sample. The sample size and the pics of this tile in my inspiration picture are definitely blue, opaque and milky. The tiles that arrived are almost clear and translucent. I cannot imagine these tiles with white cabinetry and a white with subtle gray veining quartzite countertops. What do I do? I sent the pic to the owner of the tile shop where I got them and she doesn't see much difference. I showed many people in person and they all have seen the difference an are not just pacifying me to make me feel better. This is too important and too costly do that. What do I do? I can't bear the thought of sending them back as I have purchased lighting, countertstools, picked the cabinetry, accessories like my kitchenaid mixer in light blue, everything to accommodate this backsplash I am so in love with! If I have to start from scratch I'm going to flip out! This kitchen was the one thing I was certain about during this new build. It's a daunting task picking every little thing out so for this to happen, it's horrible. I know it may sound petty to some, but it truly is stressful picking every little thing on your own and then being thrown such a curveball. What should I do if the company says this is how the lots are now and I can't get the bluer color?
The sample is on the bottom rows and the delivered lot of tiles is on the top. You can definitely see the difference.

Comments (78)

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Chloe,

Send it back. Ask around and see if you can find out where the tile was imported from. If you send a link to this thread, the original manufacturer may go out of their way to see if something can be done, you sound like a nice person.
    It may not be true what your seller said about the earlier dye lot being gone, they may just not be in the mood for customer service.
    Methinks if you are loud enough, they may suddenly find exactly what you wanted 'in the warehouse'.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Chloe, I'm sorry to be the cause of it, but sometimes a good cry is called for. Also, remember, it's easy for the rest of us to offer advice when we're not caught in the middle of your emotional turmoil and all the $$$ implications.

I would advise sending the tile back, getting a full refund (they did not send you anything remotely like the sample), and calling it a day with that dealer. I would have zero faith she could discover some hidden stash of the tile you want.

I think you will feel better if the tile is physically gone. Yes, you'll be back to Square One, but it will be a fresh start.

I like mtnrdredux's suggestion of a fieldtrip to the closest town/city that offers a tile shop with good selections. Most will let you take a sample home. I've gotten samples online, but they're based on a photo on my monitor and the result isn't always what I expected. Plus, the wait.

You may not find that same shape or glass type, but with your GOOD sample, you can share your vision at the tile store.

And you know, sometimes things just end up working out for the best anyway. Best of luck to you on your quest.

• sunsoleil
    9 years ago

I love that tile. Is it the Susan Jablon milk glass I just wanted to let you know that I ended up installing a pure white glass tile, and after it was grouted, it looks blue. It looks great with my countertops, however, if I was not expecting blue, I would not have been happy. Since you love the tile, can you take one square foot and make a sample board with it?

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Chloe, I sympathize with all you've gone through, the stress is over the top and ,to make you smile, let me tell you about the time I had three major losses in my life. I was like you and thought I was coping well until my cat got sick and the vet told me the kindest thing was to put it down right away. After losing my Mom to Alzheimers and my two best friends also, I completely lost it at the vets. They made me lay down on the pet examining table (legs hanging off lol) and called my husband to come and get me as I couldn't stop crying. I can laugh at it now but I had reached my limit.
    I think you have too sooooo, do what others have said, rant, rave, swear if you need and get it all out of your system THEN go on a search for a similar or even better tile (we can help you) and you'll soon be looking at the more than beautiful kitchen of your dreams in your own home. Breathe, smile and be peaceful. Good luck.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annalyn, what is your countertop? Part of me wants to keep it and see how it would look, but that's taking a chance. I worry it's all too white. Yes the delivered backsplash has a tinge of blue in it, but not the blue I expected. As you will see in the new pic I just took with a white background behind it, it truly is so much more translucent with a lot less color than I expected.
    It's funny, what fun2bhere posted about Sarah richardson, because my other choices are a bit different from this kitchen lol.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wanted to add that the layout of the kitchen design in the house we are building was actually modified to fit the inspiration pic this backsplash was in lol. I have to laugh because I'll cry lol.

I'm going to attach a few pics of other kitchens I love. The common theme is white, neutrals with something special somewhere in the kitchen. In this first pic, I might do the darker island, but definately not the other cabinets dark, I'm a white cabinet girl.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view of same kitchen

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The backsplash in this kitchen is a white, clear and stainless small square tile mosaic

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love this backsplash and while I like the colors in the countertops, id rather some veining

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a closer view of the last backsplash

• voila
    9 years ago

Did you order the tile from Susan Jablon? I saw the same picture on Houzz with a side comment that someone ordered this tile and it was so different from the sample she returned it-with a full return including shipping. Handmade tile does go through color changes with newer batches (happened to me too and I kept them- it still bugs me, but was too worn out to start over). Try putting your blue color behind the tile. Is it transparent enough to shine through? If it does maybe you could add blue to the mortar? If it doesn't return them. We'll help you find something that you love. P.S I have heard nothing but nice things about Susan Jablon tile. Does she have anything else that might work?

This post was edited by voila on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 17:19

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My dining room will have a table and chairs similar to the ones in this pic, but my dining room is separate from kitchen. I like this a lot. My floors are a darker hickory hardwood though.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last one! I love this kitchen. It's timeless, clean, etc. the only thing is I don't know if I can afford the fancy cabinetry that I think makes this kitchen. We were going with something more clean lines with the original design.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Chloe, when your kitchen is ready for a backsplash, it will already have its own look and character. It will be your kitchen and may actually call for something else that you hadn't thought of before.

When my kitchen was essentially done (white cabs, dark gray counters), I was like, whose kitchen is this and what is it doing in my house? :) I seriously missed my old golden oak and cabinet suspended from a now nonexistent soffit. It passed, and I added familiar touches and now my kitchen is totally mine and I don't miss the old one an iota.

Meaning, all inspiration photos aside, you may get to the point where you're actually ready to add a backsplash, and everything has changed anyway. That's when I would start my backsplash quest in earnest, or at least readjust my sights.

yaya, it's heartbreaking to have to put a pet to sleep. I've done it too many times and it never gets any easier. Even when I've known it was coming, I've lost it at the vet's.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Voila it is Susan Jablon tile. I've got to find that comment on houzz. I guess I'll go look through all the pics ft it to see if I can find who commented on it.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yaya, I totally understand your meltdown at the vet and appreciate you sharing that. When my cat died around the same time as my father, I cried more about the cat and felt guilty about that. I was close to my father, being the only daughter, but what he went through was so horrible, I prayed everyday he would pass. Several months later, on a gloomy, rainy Saturday, I put some 70s country music on I remember hi listening to when I was a kid and it set off a crying streak in me that went on for 2 weeks. I think I was so busy with arrangements, etc and also relieved he wasn't suffering anymore, that I hay a delayed reaction. Thanks for your story, I'm sorry about your losses as well :(

• crl_
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry. I would be so frustrated. Can we help you find an alternative?

Here is a link that might be useful: Aqual blue tile at Susan Jablon

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Could you call the manufacturer and get their advice, e.g. whether there may be availability of the blue tiles somewhere else?

• crl_
    9 years ago

Sorry, I didn't see that your original source is Susan Jablon. I'm sure you'd rather go elsewhere if you end up changing tile.

I do wonder if what you have could be installed in a way that makes them bluer. Maybe you could tald with your tile installer?

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Please, send the tile back. You have had so many emotional knocks lately that I'm worried you might keep the tile because it is the "easy road to take". If you keep the tile you are always going to remember that it wasn't what you wanted but you kept it because of all these other stresses going on - and those stressors are going to be what you remember.

Send them back and start again when you're more relaxed and fresh. Something will come up which you will love even more. Yes, the tile is very pretty but there are lots of pretty tiles out there.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry you are going through so much right now. Send the tile back and leave it be for now. Lots of people here don't put the BS in for a year or more. You will still be able to move in and enjoy your kitchen until "the one" comes along. The last thing you need right now is more stress, especially over so something that can be put on the back burner..forgive the pun!

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Viola I found the comments on houzz and it happened to a couple other people as their posts were as recent as yesterday. How disappointing! I don't take this decision lightly as we actually had the kitchen plans of our home modified to replicate this kitchen. Good grief!

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    9 years ago

I'm sorry for all the troubles in your path at the moment and hope everything will all settle down soon for you.

I had a thought I will share. I don't really know too much about tiling but I wonder if you painted the wall that the tile be installed on with a blue paint if that would shine through those beautiful tiles? Just a thought FWIW. Might be worth exploring.

• akshars_mom
    9 years ago

Sorry you are having issues. We ordered some mother of peral tiles with some green in them for our guest bath and when they arrived I was not happy with how they looked I did not see any hint of green what so ever.
    But when I talked to tile guy he explained that What I was looking was the back side of the tile and the front side was covered by the paper and also grout makes a huge difference. After the installed and grouted I was happy with the tile.

So could you be looking at the backside of the tile by any chance? I could be wrong but just something to check.

• crl_
    9 years ago

And this. . . .

I still think you should talk with your tile installer to see if she or he has any suggestions. I'm wondering if grout choice could make the tile you have the color you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock again

• johnnycabot
    9 years ago

Won't the grout color reflect into the whole tile appearance? The "ideal" backslash appears to be grouted with a blue gray colored grout that will make a big difference and pretty much be close to what you are looking for?

• voila
    9 years ago

Browse through glasstilestore.com. Lots to choose from. This tile has the raised curve shape for dimension. Seafoam green should be a blue green.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cresent glass tile

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The grout used in the inspiration kitchen is a light pewter

• eandhl
    9 years ago

Without doubt you want the BS done but this isn't the time to be picking out a tile. The possibility of the company knowing a dealer that may have some left is a possibility. Because of the difference and you not liking the change, return it. Forget the BS for now and as soon as possible treat yourself to a day out wandering tile shops. If you are anything like me, right now no tile will be perfect. Give yourself a break.

• jennybc
    9 years ago

A thought.... If the white shows the color discrepancy so much would painting the back of the tiles the correct color make it more vibrant? Can a person even do that?
    Jen

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I adore the Susan Jablon milk glass tile and I agree that what they sent you doesn't look like your sample. The tile you received looks translucent rather than opaque as a milk glass would appear.

I do think that it's good advice to give yourself some time to make a decision regarding the backsplash. My kitchen was completed several months before I chose a bs. I saw may beautiful tiles when I was in the renovation stage but what I ultimately chose wasn't even a blip on the radar then and it certainly isn't at all what I would have chosen during the reno. When the kitchen was complete and I brought the tumbled marble sample tile home it was the perfect look for my kitchen.

I don't think you are over reacting at all. You have a lot of time and money involved in your vision of the perfect kitchen but the sample tile doesn't fit what you envisioned. This may be the universes way of having you wait to choose. You will be amazed how wonderful your kitchen is going to look and we are all pulling for you!

• Jules
    9 years ago

I don't have any other advice on top of the great suggestions you've already received, but I just want to say my heart goes out to you! Building a house is stressful enough without all the personal heartaches and challenges you've also experienced. You're a trooper.

Your inspiration photo is lovely, and I'm sure it'll all come together quite beautifully with these helpful posters offering assistance.

You're almost to the finish line.

Hugs.

• sunsoleil
    9 years ago

I agree with everyone that the tiles you received are not like the samples. However, I looked very closely and enlarged the inspiration photo, and I almost think that the tiles you received are closer to the photo than the samples. If you enlarge the photo on your monitor, you will see that the tiles are indeed very light, but I think the grout reflects on the tile to give it more of an overall blue tone. I think your sample tiles with that color grout would have looked much darker.
    As I said previously, my tiles changed immensely from seeing them in the box, to installation, and finally grouted. I have blue pearl counters.
    As others have said, you may be too early in the remodel to have your tile selected and you may want to return them. However, when you are ready, I think this will be the right tile for you. When your kitchen is done (lighting changes so much), you really should create a sample board. Perhaps they would let you purchase a square foot of the tile, glue it on a board, and grout it with the pewter as in your inspiration photo.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

The tiles are so completely different that I would not trust the shop owner who says she sees little difference. If that is true she must be color blind. This is not a dye lot difference, that is obvious. While I agree that grout color changes the appearance of tile, it does not and cannot change white into blue.

Have you contacted the tile manufacturer directly? They may have enough for your project or may know a different retailer who does. Otherwise, I think your choice now must be to find a different tile that gives you the same feel. I wouldn't rework your kitchen vision entirely, but if you cannot see your way forward without copying the inspiration photo very closely, you may want to bring in a kitchen designer for some limited help. (IMO this is one of the problems with trying to copy photos instead of using them as inspiration-- if the materials are not available, or beyond budget, or if the space configuration doesn't work, etc, you're stuck.)

I would also like to add my sympathies for your recent troubles, and to assure you there is not the slightest hint of "bratty" in your reactions to this tile situation. A cascade of unhappy life events is very hard to take as there is no recovery time between the events, and the stress of building a new home doesn't help. I had a period of about ten years of really difficult situations and thought I would never emerge from that time in one piece. But I did, and you will, and your home WILL be the lovely haven you are working so hard to achieve. Hugs from a BTDT sympathizer in Georgia

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The reason I purchased them ahead of time was because the company I bought them from said she was placing her last order in January and would not be able to be ordered them. Knowing for certain that this was the way I wanted my kitchen, I did not hesitate to purchase them at that time.

I am so undecided on what to do, I can hardly stand it. Part of me wonders if I should write her and ask her for a significant discount and keep them. I would do that because I cannot be certain I would even use them and at least it wouldnt be the full loss. Four instance, if the tile guy started to put them up and I was like oh my god no they definitely are too light, the grout color is not helping, then I'd be stuck with them, but at least it wouldn't be at the full price. I also considered asking her if I could hold onto them for a while until I found something else. In case I didn't find anything else. And then perhaps in the near future she could buy them back from me. She says that this is a very very popular tile which I understand that from Houzz.com so maybe she would have an easy time reselling it. I think I have something like 80 sq ft.

I really really did want my kitchen to look like that inspiration picture especially because of these tiles. I am trying to think of everything I can do to make it work like perhaps painting the wall behind the tile a light blue and either using a light blue grout or the light pewter grout which is what was used in the inspiration photo, the light pewter grout. Do any of you really think that once it's up and has a colored grout in it it will make much of a difference? Do you think the white cabinets this light tile and a white with slight great coloring to the countertops is all too late? What if I got a countertop that had a little bit more movement in it and with in the tan/taupe family or even stuck with the white with gray countertop, but one with more gray and movement?

I am attaching a new picture I took this morning next to white cabinetry we have in our man cave. My kitchen cabinets now are cherry so I couldn't take them next to that. I'm going to Home Depot later because it's the only place around that has cabinetry and hopefully I can take a better picture. It was hard to try to hold up the tile and take the picture on my own that's why it's not so great.

• msrose
    9 years ago

I think that's a great idea to ask if you can get a discount on the tiles. They look blue next to the white cabinetry. Is that how it looks in person? If you see any blue at all, I would be tempted to keep them.

This post was edited by msrose on Thu, May 1, 14 at 8:29

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I don't think they are blue enough against the white cabinets. Almost looks like you tried to match the cabinets but didn't get there and they just look "off."

If they won't take them back or too much hassle/expense to return, you could probably sell them on CL.

Take your time with this.....you will be living with your decisions for a long time so don't settle.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I don't really trust photos to convey true color. These tiles are NOT the color of the sample you love. I don't think any amount of paint or grout or wishful thinking will change that. And I know from experience that the wrong grout color, even slightly, can ruin the look of a backsplash.

If you go changing other things to compensate for a tile that isn't the color you want, you'll just go chasing your tail and could make choices that are even further from your inspiration.

This is not the last tile on the planet or the only one that can make you happy. Don't hang onto it hoping it will change or be willing to make concessions for a tile that's the wrong color.

I don't think you should try to negotiate with the seller. I think you have a much stronger case by saying it's not the color you chose based on the sample they sent and you don't want it. Why would she be willing to cut a deal or let you keep it indefinitely until you explore all your options?

Like a boyfriend you thought was one thing and then, in the light of day, he turned out not to be all you'd hoped for. Kick him to the curb, let him be the one who got away. You'll find another tile. There are zillions out there.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I don,t see why feel like you would have to change the whole kitchen just because the tile isn,t right. There are thousands of tiles that can give you a simular look. Maybe the person you bought the tile from can go threw her sources and find the tiles you want in the die lot of the sample tile. I would be tempted to grout a sheet of the tile in a super pale white blue just to see if that would change the color enough . Those tiles are super reflective and will reflect colors around them much more than a more mat tile. I know my shinny black galaxy granite turned a ugly grey color when we put it in agains the cream walls. I changed the wall color to green and the granite majically turned back into the nice deep black. Good luck with your build and try to enjoy the process . It won,t hurt to ask for a discount on the tile threw no fault of yours its not what you ordered.

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

I posted on the kitchen thread thinking I had seen this there. But the Fireclay newsletter today says they are doing free shipping. I clicked the design link and the picture on that page looked very much like your tile but it was in green so I clicked the colors and they have several blues. You might be able to salvage this look after all.

Here is a link that might be useful: blue tile

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Those tiles are white as white can be. If they are blue even a bit I will eat my hat. (Referring to tiles Chloenkitty received, not any link to on the previous post.)

This post was edited by kswl on Fri, May 2, 14 at 12:44

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lov_mkitchen, I adore the fire clay tiles online. I'm ordering some. Thank you

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Chloe, I live just blocks from the Fireclay showroom so if there's any way I can help you out, just let me know!

• sunsoleil
    9 years ago

Chloe, the FIreclay tiles are beautiful, but I did want to share my absolutely white tiles with you. If I had a different counter, I would not have been happy with the blue results. I just wanted to make you aware of the reflective properties of glass. I have heard of people installing tan glass and it appears as green.

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

have you tried placing them on a blue background to see what they look like?

agreed they are not what you ordered.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Sorry you are so disappointed.

My thoughts would be to use the SAMPLE and install as you would the actual tile on a sample section of wall material. Maybe slice it in to three sections. Try one with a darker mastic and another with white. Save the last as your sample

The try different grouts and see how it makes the SAMPLE change looks. I know it will be the sample and still more blue, but you might be able to visualize some different looks and see if there is a combo that while a bit different is still enjoyable.

If it was me and my tile, I would use it with the sample system like above in the combo that I liked the best. And then use the blue accessories to be the pop of color in your kitchen. It might end up that the more subtle colored tiles makes your decorating more the star of the kitchen.

With glass tiles, the changes between being in the box and installed can make it look totally different.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Based on my age and experience, I would be so happy someone from above looked down on me and saved me from the blue which I probably would come to dislike in a very few years and I know my husband would not let me change them out and I would not be able to sell the house when blue ran its course.

OK. I am trying to make you feel good and take the white. I am an old woman and I think the reflective quality of the white is going to appear as whatever accessories you pair it with. Learn to appreciate that some times things were just not meant to be and in the long run, you are all the better for it. Get a good price on the ones they sent and save the money for something you love to make the white really show its stuff. I promise you there is a time coming when you will love it. Save the money and buy yourself some pretty blue dishes or a great blue rug.

• isabel98
    9 years ago

Although I do think your original sample is pretty; I do agree with patricia. I'm probably around your age but I have been around building and design all my life. Sometimes these things do happen for a reason. I personally like the lot you were sent better and I also think over time this could be a better choice. BUT, this is your house and your kitchen. Take your time, like others have said...it can wait til last. The very best of luck to you:)

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

I have to agree with patricia, too. Every disappointment seems to happen for a reason. The wrong tile might be a tap on your shoulder to not decide just yet.