Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zen4d

Need help dressing this room. Pictures

zen4d
10 years ago

I would like to do something with this guest room with as little work as possible. here is what I have in mind and need help with:
1. I need a comforter set that goes with the curtains.
2. Fabric to reupholster the chair (or should I get rid of it?)
3. Whitewash mirror? or find new one.
4. I don't know what to do with that dresser (don't want to get rid of it and there's no place for it in the house. It matches a bedroom set I have upstairs; too big for that room also.)
5. advice on lamps
6. The picture is from my office space and I like it in my office but think it would look better in this room, over the bed.
7. The other picture is the entry to the bathroom which I don't plan to renovate at this time. Just wanted to show the terra cotta floor and blue tub (which I tried to work around).

This post was edited by zen4d on Sun, May 11, 14 at 4:08

Comments (10)

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I love that picture! Hard to tell the size, but I'd also consider hanging it on the dresser wall instead of above the bed, if it's large. I'd love to gaze at it from the bed, if it were hung on that wall.

Can the dresser go on the wall to the right of the bathroom? That would seem the logical place.

It's a lovely room and I'm sure people will have great ideas about lamps and bedding.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

says I need a password to view the photo album. Anyone else?

Also, is there a way to remove my thread re: FIVETHREE? I've heard from her, so that can now come down.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Tib the password is gardenweb.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Oh, right. It's right there in the original post!

Duh.

Thanks holly-kay.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

No problem Tib, I missed it the first time!

• zen4d
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you

This post was edited by zen4d on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 22:53

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

What is the measurement between the inside window trim? Could the bed fit between the windows? Make bedside tables using brackets and shelves under each window.

I think the bureau is really nice! Dresser then against the long blank wall with the mirror over it.

Remove the blinds altogether and replace with blinds or Roman shades, something inside the window trim.

Comforter is very pretty. Maybe upholster the chair with the material from one of the drapes?

Chair is SO nice, and a chair in a guest room is always a good idea.

Maybe get a suitcase stand to put on the long wall with the bureau so that wall isn't so empty.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I agree with putting the dresser on the wall between the bathroom and the closet. I would use the small table as a side table to the bed and find another table to use on the other side as the glass desk looks quite out of place. From the pictures, the current bedding looks like it plays nicely with the beautiful drapery fabric. I would probably use a simple gray stripe on the chair seat. I'm not a fan of the art. I would put the mirror over the head of the bed and leave the wall between the two windows unadorned. Not every wall needs decor, IMHO.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Also, can you remove the bed frame, at least the footboard? That will open the room up a lot. Seems like bed frames and small rooms are not a good pairing.

• zen4d
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pc, olychick, tib, fun2b - moved the dresser and like it so much more in new place. I had it there once, but thought I didn't like it. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Tibbrix, the bed is an inch longer than the trim and the bed would be directly in front of the door. You would open the door and have a few feet and you're bumping into bed. I once had it that way; felt tight. I don't think I can remove the footboard, but will take another look, as it is a sleigh bed.

I thought bedding and draperies were competing (grey/blue on cream vs. black/grey on white/cream It doesn't quite match but doesn't scream we're not a match - just softly gives voice to it :) Getting to like it.
    I hadn't thought of using the same fabric on chair; I love the use of coordinating fabrics, although Cote de Texas just posted on using the same fabric throughout the house. Very interesting read and of course beautiful.

Fun2behere: took the mirror down, moved dresser, side table - thank you. Want to use mirror but not sure if I should whitewash it first? Also would you use garden stool? if so, where?

There is another p;iture I had in that room - a poster that came from Carnegie Hall before it's renovation - many, many years ago and I have a sentimental attachment to photo. Would it look good on wall just above rocking horse? What would you do with that rocking horse - another hand-carved antique, which was given to me by my brother before he passed.

Can anyone suggest some lamps - I don't like any of the three I have.

Appreciate all your help - so much. Thank you, once again.
    new arrangement pictured below:

p.s. desk is gone.

Here is a link that might be useful: password: gardenweb

This post was edited by zen4d on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 2:49