Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Wreaths and front doors

Oakley
14 years ago

Silly question, but I really want to put seasonal wreaths on my new front door.

Pro - It faces north and not one drop of sunlight hits it.

Con - It's custom made out of mahogany, shipped from Houston. My dh loves this door. I even caught him dusting it front and back, the other day. lol

If I were to put a nail in it I don't think dh would be too pleased. :)

Do wreath hangers scratch doors over time, either over the door and the side it comes down on? I have some I use at Christmas but it was on the old door. And I only left it up for a couple of weeks so if there was any damage I didn't notice.

Do any of you hang your wreaths with wreath hangers and not nails? If so, does it leave any marks on the door at all if it's up all year long?

Comments (36)

• abundantblessings
    14 years ago

Cute story about DH! My wreath hanger has not scratched the door, but on occasion the various vessels I've used have. To avoid that, just attach bumpers -- like the kind used in kitchen cabinets-- to the back of the hangers and vessels.

• houstonmom_gw
    14 years ago

Not at all a silly question, by the way!

I did have a wreath hanger scratch my door, so I covered the surface that touches the door with felt. That helped tremendously!

You should post a picture of your door (if I may ask...where in Houston did you order your door?)

• patricianat
    14 years ago

A very tiny finishing nail will probably do much less harm to a door than one of those brass or metal things that scrub and rub against a long area of it. I have had both. I have a mahogany door with side lights. Give me the finishing nail anyday.

• xoxosmom
    14 years ago

I am taking Patricia43's advice and plan on using a finishing nail to hang a wreath on my wood door.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I want to say it's a Simpson door, but their company is located in the Pacific NW. I'll have to ask dh when he comes home. I just remember that they had to order it early because it took a few weeks to make and for them to stain it, and ship it here.

I'll ask him about putting a tiny nail in the door, but if he nixes that and I think he probably will, I like the idea of putting felt under the hanger and have it behind the wreath.

This is the only picture I have of the door, it's not a close-up. Nothing fancy, has panels cut into it.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah, I forgot to add. We've since added a storm door because with the Oklahoma winds we didn't like rain and snow blowing on the wood. I didn't want a storm door but we fell in love with this one. It's a cranberry color and the top window lowers and a rolled up screen comes down for fresh air, and having the screen on top keeps little cat claws and crazy dogs from tearing it.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    14 years ago

Do you enough room betweeen the two doors to hang a wreath? I have also heard of putting a thumb tack at the top of the door and suspending the wreath with monofilament. The door will still close.

• dawnbc
    14 years ago

We have a door knocker ... bought specifically so I can tie my Christmas wreath onto it.

• artlover13060
    14 years ago

I just about to suggest the thumbtack idea when I saw rnmomof2 suggest the same thing. I wonder if those suction cup hooks would work? I've never purchased them but they look like they would work. I think they still sell them at BB&B.

• carol_jk
    14 years ago

I put a tiny nail in the top of the door (between door and frame) just barely protruding from the door. Then I hang the wreath with clear fishing line.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think there will be enough room between the two doors. I never had a problem in the past and this door's handle is pretty big.

I like the idea of hanging from a thumbtack or nail. I could always use a decorative ribbon to hold the wreath.

Maybe it's time for a Show Me Your Wreath topic for inspiration? lol

• parma42
    14 years ago

This seems to be along the lines of what a few of the posters were talking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: hanger

• teacats
    14 years ago

For the winter season -- I would create a wreath (or wind garland around it) around the gorgeous oval window ....

Then add a large hanging swag under the lantern -- and lights to the small trees at the front door ....

And for the front doorway (including the side lights) I would wind garland all around the outer perimeter ....

Add a long bench under the right-hand window -- with a Christmas tree in that far right-hand corner .....

Jan

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lol, Jan! I already have my Christmas decor planned, and it's exactly how you described! The electrician was kind enough to give us 2 outside outlets on the front porch. Before this we only had one at the back of the house! I already have my new white Christmas tree with a bunch of vintage glass ornaments I got on sale after Christmas for the new room. :)

Not sure what a wind garland is, but I'll look it up.

Thanks Parma, I'll check out the topic!

I tell ya, we had a decent size front porch before, well, enough for a bench and flower pots. But I'm having a ball with this new porch. I just hope there's enough money left for wicker furniture. Sofa, 2 tables and coffee table. Don't see that in the near future. lol I can't believe how expensive wicker is now! I've loved wicker since I was a teenager, and even received a wicker coffee table for my bedroom at Christmas..now..it's just sooo expensive.

Thanks for the help everyone!

• amac
    14 years ago

I always use one of those 3M hangers that you can remove. I have a solid mahogany door and would never put a nail in the face of it. The 3M sticky things have never fallen or hurt my door in anyway. Sometimes I use two of them - the ones that will hold 5lbs. I just put them right next to each other and hook on to them both. I have left them out year round and never had one come off until I took it off.

At Christmas time - I like to use a wide ribbon - so I loop the ribbon around the wreath and then use thumb tacks at the very top of the door ( the horizonatal part that closes into the door frame.

Hope this helps!

• Pieonear
    14 years ago

Since you have a storm door, why not hang the wreath on it and eliminate any worry about the wood door?

• amac
    14 years ago

Sorry if I was confusing before..... but here is what I use on my mahagany door.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3M command

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mammie, that's a great idea, I'll try it both ways. I ordered the hangers from the site Parma gave, and here's the wreath I ordered from Plow and Hearth which I've had my eye on for awhile now. It's a great website if you all haven't seen it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wreath

• JennaVaNowSC
    14 years ago

Oakleyok... We have a full glass storm door and I put my wreath's on it using the nice heavy magnets from Michaels. Can probably get them at hobby Lobby or any craft store near you. NOt sure if Walmart has them. They are covered in plastic or rubber and do not scratch the glass. Has a hook on it to hold the wreath and one magnet goes on outside of glass and one on inside. Very strong magnets.

• peoniesandposies
    14 years ago

Suction cup wreath hook

Even up here in Wisconsin, I use a suction cup hook on the OUTSIDE of my glass storm door. I put my wreath up a little after Thanksgiving and take it down half way through January. I've never had it fall off. I just run a little warm water over the suction cup before applying it to the glass. We too have a pretty wooden door that I wouldn't want to put a nail into. I've had the hanger for at least 5 years, but I think that I just bought it at a hardware store (no where fancy).

• Pieonear
    14 years ago

That's a beautiful wreath and will look great!

• patricianat
    14 years ago

OakleyOK, I think I misunderstood about your wreath. I think I would just put it up with a suction cup on that storm door. I thought you meant you were afraid to put a finishing nail in mahogany. We have a mahogany door and I have a finishing nail. Our door is about 20 years old with lead glass crystals and side lights, and was pretty expensive for the time. We found that putting a finishing nail was the lesser of the evils. I apologize for not understanding you were talking about a storm door.

• patricianat
    14 years ago

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great picture! Now scoot over so I can see your wreath. lol.

I was talking about the wood door, I had planned on putting the wreath between it and the storm door which I did in the past and could be seen pretty good. So I'm going to try both, putting it on the wood door and the storm door and see which I like better.

I hadn't thought of suction cups, I may try those but with my luck it will leave a permanent spot on the glass! :)

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Beautiful door and sidelights Patricia! We also have a leaded glass insert. What a welcoming smile you have.

tina

• natureperson
    14 years ago

You know what I use to hang my door wreaths on? Monkey Hooks. My DH didn't want to put a big hole in the door, so he got one of these little hooks. They put a small hole in the door and will hold 35 pounds.

• peoniesandposies
    14 years ago

I'm going to chime back in. Glass can always be cleaned, the suction cups won't hurt it. However, I imagine that you could also use one of those 3M Command hooks on glass.

I really like the look of the wreath on the outside of our storm door. It shows up much nicer from the street.

• patricianat
    14 years ago

Thank you, Tina. That is the only picture I have and I hate that I was barefoot. I was trying to get the porch decorated and my friend came up and took the picture. Well, at least the door shows, but the porch was kind of messy and my feet bare, not very ladylike. I just hate having pictures of my house or property when it is in a mess, and sometimes that is all I have. LOL

• loribee
    14 years ago

I did what Carol did....a tiny nail on top of the door and used ribbon to hang my wreath. Good luck!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Amac, I'm going to go ahead and order those suction cups, the more I think about it I like that the wreath wouldn't dangle from a string. But are the hooks big enough to hold a thick wreath?

However, I can't find the exact one you're talking about. I went to Amazon and they have about 4 pages of the 3M stuff, but they all have strips and I didn't see the cups. Can someone here pinpoint me to a place online where I can order them? :)

• peoniesandposies
    14 years ago

suction cup wreath hook

Just Google "wreath hooks suction" and you'll come up with many possibilities

Mine looks just like the one in the Ace Hardware Ad
    http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(0whqhyrfwc5ski55hflg5x45)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=9839846

• amac
    14 years ago

Oakleyok,

The ones that I use are not suction cups - they are the 3M command adhesive strips that are removable by pulling down on the adhesive strip. Mine are white (which are hidden by the wreath.) I buy mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond. The package says they hold 5lbs.each and I usually use 2 of them together, side by side - just for added security.

Below is what I buy in the large size - the ones shown are small, but they look just like this only bigger.

I am still uncertain - are you using these on the mahogany door or the glass door? If it's the glass door - you might now like seeing the "white" strip from the inside of the door.

Here is a link that might be useful: This is small size - I buy large 5Lb. size at BB&B

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Amac, I ended up getting the 3M like yours. I didn't know which size to get and since they were so cheap, I bought small, medium and large. lol.

I'll be putting it on the glass door..unless rain hits the wreath. In that case, I'll have my backup thumbtack or the thing I ordered which uses a fishing line over the wood door. Let's just say I'm prepared!

• amac
    14 years ago

Oak,

That's great! Let us see how it looks when you get it hung! I'm glad I could help - it has always worked for me!

AMAC

• houstonmom_gw
    14 years ago

Oakley

Thanks for posting the picture of your door. Very nice! I really like the wreath you picked out, and your porch area is great, too.

You are going to love the 3M hooks. I've been using them for several years already! I put one on the inside of a cabinet door to hang a cutting board - VERY handy! We brought several with us on vacation recently, and used them to hang wet bathing suits up to dry.

• mbarstow
    14 years ago

Maybe I missed it in the above postings, but I've had success on my glass storm door using a double magnet (about 2'' in diameter) that has a hook meant for hanging door wreaths. Michael's sells them up here in the Boston area. You place one side of the magnet on the inside of the glass door and the other magnet matches up with it on the outside. It has never fallen off and when we change over the to the screen, it works even better and I can hang something even havier.