Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarlettanne_gw

So... what color of paint will make this yellow carpet tolerable?

ScarlettAnne
9 years ago

Moved into my new house in November, and we're finally ready to start going after projects. It's an oversized 50s ranch that is shockingly modern for its time, enough that we're going modern in the kitchen and it's not at all weird.

Anyway, my bedroom is a lovely size with nice big closets. The carpet color, below, is marigold yellow shag. We initially thought the paint was yellow too, but it's just a warm white that reflects the carpet really well. Ugh.

It is either a brand new carpet or they never used the room, because it is clean and springy and still gives up fibers when I vacuum. I would rather wait to replace it if I can do anything to make it less offensive for a while. My first thought was grey, but my "colors," in the gorgeous quilt my mother made us for a wedding present, are rust red and brown and black and a little green. I'm not color smart, but one of the hard and fast rules I was taught was "no gray and brown together." I'm afraid green will just suck up more yellow, and I have green going in the rest of the house.

Can anyone suggest a good option to tone this down? If pics of anything else would help, please ask.

Comments (128)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think her mom would freak out if she saw the handmade wedding present in the dog crate.

• ScarlettAnne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Excuse me? My 6 month old handmade quilt has seen it's best days and belongs in the dog crate?

I'll be sure to let her know you approve of her craftsmanship.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I would hang it behind the bed in lieu of a headboard.

{{gwi:1668059}}

{{gwi:1668060}}

Could you see what that would look like? Have someone hold it up?

• geokid
    9 years ago

OK, I was just at Target and they have this gorgeous pillow for sale (I bought the blue version!) and I thought of your room.

I did SW Chip It and it came up with these colors. What about doing a color like Simplify Beige or Sticks and Stones on your walls?

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I really can’t see a cheap solution with the carpet AND bedspread. Check craigslist for a big black rug and put your bed on it. Use white pillow cases and sheets. Go to thrift store and look for a big cheap ugly picture. Go to home depot and buy a quart of Glidden paint in the color of bedspread and paint over ugly picture that will act as a head board. While you are at the thrift stores buy a black vase and look for black décor pillows. Add flowers!
    This will still look a bit cheesy around the edges but might be livable.

• katrina_ellen
    9 years ago

Wow, what did the quilt ever do to you jtlynn? I would take the quilt to the paint store and color match to the brown in one of the border stripes for a test sample. I think the brown really de-emphasizes the gold carpet and makes the quilt stand out. I think that's the best $60 fix you could find. Plus, you said you like earth tones and it goes well with your drapes. Everything else is going to take you in a direction you may not be satisfied with long-run and then you may not want to change because of the money you spent. Just my 2 cents again.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I think this is a really good very low budget direction from AnnieDeighnaugh:

But, I would strongly suggest only decorating around that quilt if you love it. If you don't love it, hang in on a wall or layer it in another room where the colour elements aren't as challenging.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I have nothing against the bedspread at all but do with the carpet and bedspread together. Plus, the poster has stated that the yellow color makes her anxious . Yellow does that to some people and its a bad thing for a bedroom. Personally I love yellow!

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Scarlet, you may not care, or even know, but you're 'on trend', with your 'yellow', which is really gold, carpeting, if you start adding gray tones into your rooms. Medium gray walls will tone down the carpeting, as well as bring the whole space up-to-date.

Here's an idea for bedding. I've seen it IRL and it's gorgeous! There are other home decor items that work with it, pillows, rugs, etc,

Here is a link that might be useful: check it out

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

And one of many rugs........

Here is a link that might be useful: Area rug

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

And pillows...,,.

Here is a link that might be useful: A bunch!!!

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

And paint......but you could go darker.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nightingale

• ppbenn
    9 years ago

If you put that quilt on the bed it's days are numbered. Dogs live there. I saw them on the bed.
    Hang the quilt on the wall. My great grandmothers quilt lived on a wall in my last house. It becomes artwork.
    Go - RUN - to Target and get that pillow Geokid posted. Pick one of those colors (Sticks and Stones or Garrett Gray)and paint your walls. ANY one of those colors will look better than what you have now. And paint those closet doors. Don't even think about it; just paint them.
    So a rod on the wall for the quilt, a couple gallons of paint and that pillow and your good to go.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

As for Mom's quilt, many of us have things in our home we just can't bring ourselves to put away, mainly for sentimental reasons. Lay it on the back of a chair, and don't concentrate on it not matching with whatever else is in the room. Sometimes it doesn't matter. ;)

• feisty68
    9 years ago

The real issue here is that it's hard to mix country (quilt) and MCM (curtains, wood, carpet, room proportions). It goes beyond the colour issue.

A quilt like that is best showcased by a totally different style of home, something like this:

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I agree that if you want to keep the quilt going, hang it as art...we used a quilt made for us as a wedding gift and it had to be put away after some of the seams on the quilt pieces started fraying.

I disagree though with going with a light color wall...that's what you have now and it only increases the intensity of the rug color. Instead you need to equal the intensity to tone the rug down. It need not be in the gold tones, though going monochromatic does make it more restful, but it does need to be as prominent or the rug will remain dominant in the room.

• ScarlettAnne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Editing this because it was very whiny.

Thank you for all of your suggestions, except maybe the ones that said my quilt, which was a gift made with colors I chose myself, was fit for the dogs to sleep on. I like those colors. Maybe they aren't fashionable and I should really be doing great things with Ikea, and maybe my things don't "belong" in that house, but they are mine and my house will learn to live with it.

Geokid annd AnnieDeighnaugh, thank you for going the extra mile, you made some great suggestions and I'll be trying out several. I'm sure I will be able to work with them both with the carpet in, and out.

This post was edited by ScarlettAnne on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 16:58

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I really like geokid's color palette with your quilt, especially the two darker grays for wall color. I think a darker wall color will de-emphasize the floor color and make your bedroom dramatic and cozy at the same time. How do you feel about red on the walls?
    Also really like the new curvy dresser.

• dirtyshoes
    9 years ago

ScarlettAnne,

I think the quilt your mom made is beautiful. Once you put it on the bed, it changed the appearance of the room significantly, made it feel warmer. Lots of great color suggestions for painting. I think my favorite is the pashmina or the rendition that Annie posted looks great. You could see how it tones down the color of the carpet.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Scarlett, I agree with a previous poster who said the quilt's days would be numbered if it's used as a bedspread. Dogs. I have two cats and my bedspread testifies to that every day. I can buy another bedspread, but you can't replace your mom's quilt.

I get what the quilt means to you. I have stuff made or given to me by people I love and damn it, I WILL find a place of honor for their gifts somewhere in my house. I don't think it has to be on your bed in a room with a carpet color that makes you anxious. I'd have a problem with that carpet color too.

I like the quilt-as-headboard idea, but only if you get your room more to your liking. Is there somewhere else in your house, a worthy place, where you could hang the quilt and make your mom proud?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

What if we pretended that the carpet was seagrass or sisal...... Also, the quilt is very geometric, so I don't think it screams "country" at all. if you don't want to use it as a bed spread, could you hang it in your living room? I believe you mentioned that it had green walls

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

ScarlettAnne,

a. Your mom made this quilt for you as a wedding gift
    b. you chose the colors - which indicates to me that these are the colors you want to live with.
    So the quilt here is the piece you want to feature and the carpet is something that would be gone if finances were no issue, right?

I too love what Annie and GeoKid have suggested. The palette works, and the deep tone paint will allow you some time before you need to rip out the carpet. Then, when you do, you can think about changing paint again. It's only paint. Easiest and cheapest decorating element there is.
    As to the quilt - I sew, knit and do needlepoint, and in recent years have started quilting. So I get it. Some things I make are meant to be heirloom (needlepoint Christmas stockings come to mind, and handknit Scandinavian Christmas dresses for my grandbabies), and some things are meant to be used and expected to see wear and tear.
    Quilters generally have different levels of quilts they make too. There is the heirloom quality quilt that you hope will get treasured and passed down a generation or two. Those are the quilts we put a zillion hours into and pour our hearts and souls into too. Then there are the quilts we make that are meant to be used, and used everyday, the ones to get thrown into the laundry when needed, and yes, we know dogs, cats and kids bounce on them, and occasionally pull threads. We put almost a zillion hours into those, and our hearts and souls too, but with the expectation that it will see a lot of wear.

What you need to find out from your mom is, or maybe you already know, is this the heirloom quilt that is meant to be cherished for a generation more, or is this the quilt that you chose the colors for that she wants to you use every day? Does she have plans to make more, to replace what you use everyday as this one moves from the one that stays on the bed to the one that goes to the backyard to lay on with the babies in the sun and get used as the picnic blanket?
    The intentions of how the quilt is meant to be used should help to dictate whether you put it on the bed and use it everyday or whether you consider hanging it over a quilt rack in your bedroom and only use it occasionally, and put a bedspread on the bed.
    I assure you, your mom knows you have dogs. If she intended this to be an everyday quilt she doesn't expect it to last forever, but she intends you to use it.
    It's beautiful.
    I really like the idea too of taking the quilt to the paint store and having them color match a goldish/brown from one of the fabrics in the quilt (or better yet a scrap your mom still undoubtedly has laying around)

edit to clarify - your mom just finished this quilt so she undoubtedly has leftover fabric scraps around. It's a quilters law that you never throw away the scraps. So there should be a scrap or two you could take to the store rather than take the whole quilt into the paint shop. I wasn't refering to your quilt as scraps.

This post was edited by mlweaving_Marji on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 19:38

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Is this room the only room in your house? Are there not other rooms where the colors you chose for the quilt are being used? If not? Why not? You liked the colors. The house is yours.

Find a place of honor, not a room you are using like a kennel.

The quilt does not have to match the period or the color but if you love it, place the quilt where it can be preserved with the same love she invested when making it. You can always place it lovingly on your sofa folded for use at a later time on your own bed or on the wall in your living quarters as beautiful artwork.

I love my dog too, but my dog does not sleep on precious items of handiwork, nor does she sleep on my bed. Once a dog tore its anal glands out on my bed, the husband and dog had new sleeping arrangements.

Dog has its own bed on the floor, atop a rug atop hardwood at the foot of my husband's bed which is now in the guest room.

There are motels for people and dogs who do not want to live and sleep by house rules. Same applies to children.

As much as I adore my Persian cat, he has his own bed on a fainting couch at the foot of my bed.

Honor your mother by showing your appreciation for what she so lovingly created. In a lifetime, you will probably have a dozen dogs, but only one mother.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Is this room the only room in your house? Are there not other rooms where the colors you chose for the quilt are being used? If not? Why not? You liked the colors. The house is yours.

Find a place of honor, not a room you are using like a kennel.

The quilt does not have to match the period or the color but if you love it, place the quilt where it can be preserved with the same love she invested when making it. You can always place it lovingly on your sofa folded for use at a later time on your own bed or on the wall in your living quarters as beautiful artwork.

I love my dog too, but my dog does not sleep on precious items of handiwork, nor does she sleep on my bed. Once a dog tore its anal glands out on my bed, the husband and dog had new sleeping arrangements.

Dog has its own bed on the floor, atop a rug atop hardwood at the foot of my husband's bed which is now in the guest room.

There are motels for people and dogs who do not want to live and sleep by house rules. Same applies to children.

As much as I adore my Persian cat, he has his own bed on a fainting couch at the foot of my bed.

Honor your mother by showing your appreciation for what she so lovingly created. In a lifetime, you will probably have a dozen dogs, but only one mother.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I inherited a quilt from my DH grandmother many years ago. Rather than just store it away in a closet, I decided to use it, as it hadn't been used for many years, and I thought it needed to be 'shown off'. From being stored away for so many years, the fabric was more delicate than I realized, and in less than a year was full of little rips and tears. So much for saving and putting away, and for what?

Just my 2 cents, but decorating a room completely around a quilt that will eventually wear out, probably no more than 2 years max with dogs, is kind of silly. It's more realistic and makes more sense if those are colors you love, want to use, and can live with for awhile, maybe a long while.

It wouldn't be much different if you were to hang in on a wall~eventually you'll tire of it, it will become a dust magnet, and if there's too much light in the room, will fade, and the fabric will deteriorate with age.

Don't you think Mom expects you to use it? Enjoy it and cherish all the hard work she put into making it such a personal gift. It won't last forever.

• geokid
    9 years ago

I too have a wedding quilt that my MIL made for us. We used it every day for over five years and two babies before we got a king size bed and the quilt was too small. It's now in our guest room and guests use it when they need something warmer.

My point is, I know how important these gifts are and I think I would do the same thing as you and make that gold carpet work, dangit! :-)

And I think it can work. I had my doubts, but with the right wall color and add in some fresh curtains and some art, and you will have a cozy, happy room.

Bring your quilt to the paint store, grab a ton of swatches, bring them back to your house, and see what works with the carpet.

And post pictures when you're done! We will want to see a follow-up to this!

This post was edited by geokid on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 8:15

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I have a quilt c. 1898 which is fraying. It was made by my maternal grandmother when she was 15. I checked with a quilt expert who identified the date somewhere thereabout based on fabric, etc. It is as thin as can be. The batting is beginning to loosen. Not sure what to do about it. I used it for several years. It has a bad smell since it began coming apart. Cotton does when it has been wet. I bet lots of children emptied their bladders on it and maybe some adults. I hate to burn it but I most likely will. It is over 100 years old and I have touched it many times thinking of the precious hands that made it. I hope I can leave something for my grandchildren to touch that I have touched and which can last that long.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I don't see the wisdom of decorating a room around carpet you hate and a quilt you don't like.

"I can't put my handmade wedding present from my mother in a closet forever cos the colors I chose no longer go." Sure, you can. Put it away temporarily if you like, or in another room. There is no color scheme that can unify your quilt, the carpet, and the other disparate features of that room, and you can't "fix" it for $60. I'd go for clean and tidy as my look until you are ready to redo the room.

• ScarlettAnne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In its own little sentence, cos people keep getting hung up on it: The dogs don't sleep on the bed. They come up on an "invite" command, onto the old comforter. We're weaning them of it. I let them up cos, frankly, it was harder to take pictures with them milling around wondering what I was looking at. They are not a design feature.

Thanks for the help everyone. You offered a lot of good advice that I'm going to try, but I think I'll probably just go back to lurking. I'm someone with simple taste trying for "pretty" in my first home one room at a time. It's going to be a long time before I can afford to care, or maybe ever care, whether my furnishings suit the era of my house, or that the scheme I like less is more fashionable, or things like that. I have an "Ardex facade over counters" and "choose the optimum paint for the rest of the room" budget. My dogs won't ever not live in the house with me, though not on the bed. I probably WON'T ever tire of those colors, because that's what I'm like. I don't think I'm made to run with the design conscious folks here. The threads are great, I've learned a lot lurking, but I don't belong.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Oh it’s just decorating and on top of that it’s a bunch of creative people whose creativity falls in different directions (that’s how good stuff is often born). So, don’t go! Everyone gets something different out of these posts and you sort of have to know that going in. Some people use the advice as a process of elimination, for some it opens the mind to other possibilities and for others it can put you on a path to figure stuff out for yourself by learning of different products.
    The most important thing is…have fun with your momma when she comes! And, you do belong here as you do know what you like and what you don’t like so you have crossed one hurtle already. The longer you are in the house the better you will get at honing these likes into a cohesive look.
    My best,
    Terri

• katrina_ellen
    9 years ago

I don't understand why its got to go from colors to schooling you on how you live with your dogs and negativity about your quilt. Its offensive but the majority of the comments were helpful. Anyways - congrats on your home, it's more important to be comfortable in your home for yourself and your family and friends than anything else.

• edeevee
    9 years ago

ScarlettAnne, Aw, I know how you feel. It can get discouraging when someone who has the same decorating budget for one chandelier that you have for your whole house tells you what they would do.

I recently had the same feelings over a thread on proper kitchen venting. And, yeah, I felt like either I didn't belong or people just weren't listening. And I vowed to go back to lurking, just as you have. But then I kept thinking about what some of them had said and how, even though it felt a little condescending, they were (at least partially) right.

And because they challenged me, I was able to rethink things, move things around, make it better, and still stay within my budget.

Here's what I think you're saying: You love the quilt (and your mom) and want to display it -- on your bed, not on the wall. You aren't worried about the dogs being on it. You have other priorities that are higher than changing out the carpet or the trim. You just want a $%#%# wall color that will go with the quilt and the trim and (what you perceive to be) ugly (but serviceable) carpet.

Folks on here have offered that advice. You just have to sort it out from the rest.

I'm offering my advice too: What about playing on that pretty coppery brown in the quilt? Like Annie said, you'll need a color that is equally as strong as the carpet color to take the visual weight away from it. I think something like a salmon would look good. Apparently Michelle Obama and at least one color expert think so too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mrs. Obama's Office

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Can the quilt just be folded at the end of the bed? It would save being used on a daily basis. Then work on pulling colors together.

I see your blue carpet in the hallway. Perhaps hang the quilt on a wall there.

There are homes in the SW with concrete floors throughout. Definitely finished sheens and colors. A task to do this.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Scarlett,
    don't go. I completely agree that some of the comments were insensitive and downright nasty, but people don't read everything very carefully or get carried away once they get stuck on an idea. (I had mentioned the dogs on the bed initially, which you promptly corrected, but others were still going on about it.)

I'd ignore the mean (or, at best, not helpful) comments --- who cares what so-and-so thinks about your decor and life style and relationships --- and focus on the good advice that was also given on how to incorporate your quilt into your bedroom design.

I wish I could photoshop. I'd so hang the quilt behind the bed and try out various of the colors, geokid, for example, suggested. I'd go with a darker gray, which was your original idea. I can even see some black and white or slightly sepia photographs on the walls.

Here is a link that might be useful: [pictures of brown and gray together[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/brown-and-gray-phbr0lbl-bl~l_76)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

ScarlettAnne, please don't let the hurtful words of the few ruin it for you. There are always posts in any internet forum for which you need to attach an '(ignore)' function. Some speak out of ignorance or misunderstanding, others aren't worth the time to read. Let them go and move on. Don't take them personally...they don't know you. Don't let them deprive you of the benefits you reap from interacting with good people who are generous with their time and attention to your situation. There are a lot of caring people here who just want to help.

You are truly welcome here. I'm so delighted for your new home and the clearly loving relationship you have with your Mom who made you that wonderful quilt using all the colors you wanted. You are one lucky gal for sure.

I think your decor solution is as simple as the right color paint and a piece of art and you will be well on your way.

I think a life lesson can be learned that all through life, we will run into people, things, words, sentiments and issues that upset us. How people treat us defines them. How we respond defines us. Don't let them keep you from your path. They're not worth it.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

So true!

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Scarlett--if you are still there. Nice white walls and NAVY. navy and yellow are a wonderful, sophisticated combination. Quilt is another story. No answer for that one.

• katrina_ellen
    9 years ago

So agree with Annie, well said.

• geokid
    9 years ago

I agree with all of the sentiments above. Please don't go!

I keep coming across pieces that might be perfect for your room. Check out this pretty still life from etsy. Gold, yellow, red, brown, grey, black, blue...it's all there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy Artist

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I am amazed that people have continued to be so helpful when the OPs every answer to their suggestions is negative. Public message boards aren't for everyone, and that's a fact.

Good luck to the OP, and enjoy your family visit. Keep in mind your relatives are surely more interested in you than your house!

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

To tell you the truth, the photos posted with a gold paint superimposed onto your picture look just fine together. I like the gold-ish paint with that quilt, then get you a headboard and a nice wall hanging and call it done. I really don't see where the carpet is all that bad...I mean it looks better than a bright blue door(that everyone seems to be glowing about!) on a nice stone home that's for sure! JMHO!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Scarlett, don't go. There's so much good info and advice on this board, but you have to learn to filter out the blunt to rude comments. Most people make every effort to be kind and tactful. Our homes and our possessions reflect who we are and it's hurtful to hear them criticized.

I posted a question in one of the gardening forums about the best way to trim a particular plant in my garden. Several people said, it's too big there, take it out! In the photo was also my lovely Japanese maple, not the subject of the post. Someone said I needed to move it because it threw my garden out of balance. I wanted to respond impolitely, but I thanked everyone for their input. I think there's probably a kernel of wisdom in all the borderline rude, unsolicited advice.

Remember, we're all just internet people.

• ScarlettAnne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone, for being so kind.

Kswl, I have to conclude you didn't read all of my posts, since I listed the samples I liked and intend to try, and you also suggested I was decorating around a quilt I don't like, which is the opposite of what's going on. The suggestions to just "play up the carpet, it's fashionable" weren't for me, full stop, and with a thread this size, I had to say it a lot. The beautiful suggestions for grays, and coppers, which will work when I can afford for the carpet to come out, are more my speed. But you are right, a forum isn't for everyone. I rarely participate for that reason, but most of the threads I browse have been pretty civil.

I have decided I will probably put the quilt on the wall (brown or gray, yet undecided) and find a neutral for the bed like was suggested, and see how it looks. If it doesn't work, it doesn't.

And to be clear, I took no offense to any color anyone suggested, including Teri's comment about Elvis, which made me laugh. About the point when someone suggested I give my quilt to the dogs, was when things got a little too harsh.

This post was edited by ScarlettAnne on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 11:56

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Don't come to a message board for advice if you only want to hear what you want to hear. Everyone was trying to help you avoid a costly mistake. I don't see any reason for you to take offense like you did.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

ScarlettAnne, Ditto what Annie said.

I was taken aback by some of the tactless comments and have been very impressed at how polite and positive you have continued to be.

I hope you'll find that one of the palettes suggested above will work for you. I also hope you'll stick around and will keep us posted on how the room comes together. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

"I am amazed that people have continued to be so helpful when the OPs every answer to their suggestions is negative."

Woah!!! Not! She said that she doesn't like to play up the yellow, doesn't want to have concrete floor, and likes to stick to 60.00. Other than that, there were some very positive responses to suggestions.

@K9. Really???
    Many of the responses were downright nasty, especially since there are no right and wrong answers in decorating.

If you missed some responses by the OP or didn't read carefully, (on the quilt, the dogs, whatever), at least admit that you may have been wrong in some posts but don't justify the offending posts with even more nastiness.

• Mayaa
    9 years ago

OK. Dont be worry, off white color has the best contrast with yellow. so off white is right choice for your room

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

ScarlettAnne, I surely hope you will stay! This forum would be dead and dreary without differing opinions. I find your posts refreshing and you have had huge success with this post! Stay and enjoy and don't hesitate to post. Old fuddy duddies like me certainly need a dose of young and fresh! Your pupsters are gorgeous btw. Is the white one Dogo Argentino?

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

First of all, I'm mainly a lurker in this forum too :-)

But I've SO ENJOYED your thread! The gold carpet is definitely a challenge, and it's been interesting to read what everyone has suggested. I think you can find a way to make it work, it's just a matter of selecting the useful comments and trying not to get to discouraged by the ones that aren't so helpful. This is a public place, and everyone wants to play (so to speak). I find the asymmetry of your quilt to be the most challenging part of the whole thing. I think I would use it like a throw, lay it across the bed, rather than like a bedspread. But, that's me, as I said it's not really my style. It's a beautiful quilt though, and I think it's very sweet that you want to use it and enjoy it :-)

Your color combo, red and gold, is unconventional but I'm sure that it can work. Being rather design-challenged myself, I've been following along because I am curious how people will advise you.

I searched on Houzz for "red and gold bedroom Pottery Barn" -- the design combos are there! I've attached a picture of a room that I think could be an inspiration room for you. It would be nice to see pictures of rooms you like, which would probably help everyone kind of focus all their designing energies.

Please stay, I want to see how this turns out. I am also living in a "first home" (moved in 12 years ago) and it's not beautiful or full of character, or even very large LOL. But it's a lot nicer than it would be if I had never found this wonderful collection of forums on GW.

Melanie

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

ScarlettAnne, If I said anything to hurt or upset you, I sincerely apologize. I have a feeling you are very young, or at least a lot younger than most of us here, and we've acquired 'thick skins', or maybe a little thicker skin.

We're also used to jumping on the bandwagon and giving opinions, sometimes becoming aggressive because of our own passion with decorating.

I have 3 DD's, all adults, who've asked(and still do!)my decorating advice, but always tell them they're the one that needs to make the final decision, and that means the cost also. I understand completely, since I can remember being young and couldn't wait to decorate my first home, but money? Where was it going to come from? Do it in small 'dishes'~you're also lucky there are thrift stores, consignment stores, habitat for humanity, craigslist, not to mention garage/yard sales. Most weren't available in 'my day'. lol

Please DO come back, and show us your decisions~I read you'll be hanging the quilt, good idea. Vacumnn every couple of months, or just reverse, if you can. Don't forget, creativity shouldn't be taken too seriously, and thought about excessively. Have fun with it and you will love your home!

patty_cakes. ;)