Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ah9200

BM Simply White paint finish for Kitchen cabs/trim?

AH9200
9 years ago

I am so undecided betweek the following paint types and finishes for my ktichen trim and repainting our kitchen cabinets.

BM Aura Simply White Semi gloss or Satin for Trim?
BM Advance Simply White High Gloss or Satin for Cabinets?

I was going to go with semi gloss for trim and satin for cabinets.

Please weigh in if you have any experience with these? Is advance a good choice for kitchen cabs?

Comments (6)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

We used some Aura in our home (trim, not cabinets). We chose it because it has far less fumes, which was true.

However, three years in, the paint wears terribly. We aren't terribly hard on our home, and already it is coming off of doors, the newel post, etc.

It is often hard to know with painting how much performance (or lack thereof) is due to the product and how much is due to the prep work and application. I can't say I am totally confident of my GC or his subs, so the fault may not be Aura.

That said, on kitchen cabs esp, I would not use it. I know that ours (new) were done with some sort of catalytic spray lacquer, whatever in the world that means...

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Check out breezygirl's kitchen for a beautiful example of Simply White cabs.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I had the same experience with BM Aura as Mtn on my cabinets.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I painted trim in our last house with aura and it held up fine. We were only in that house for about 18 months so I can't say anything about durability for longer than that.

I recently painted a dresser with advance based on the advice at my local paint source. I found it very hard to work with. They told me it would have a longer open time, but I found it to have an incredibly short open time. Maybe my particular weather at the time I was painting. But it oddly also had a long drying time for me. So it was difficult to work quickly enough while painting, yet I had to wait a full twenty four hours or longer between coats to be able to sand the brush marks, etc that I couldn't get out during painting due to the short open time. It was weird and frustrating.

I would suggest buying a small quantity and painting with it to see what you think. There are additives for extending open time, I'm not sure if they are compatible with advance. If you have the same issue I did, maybe a paint shop can make some recommendation to help.

The end result is that the finish is very nice, except on the top of the dresser I was painting, where I never could get it quite right.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I am using Cabinet Coat tinted to BM Simply White on the trim in my house.

• teeda
    9 years ago

We recently remodeled and installed custom kitchen cabinets. I chose BM Simply White, and had all the woodwork in the house painted to match. I love it. Not too stark, not too dingy, not too creamy. The cabinets were painted by the cabinet maker. We used oil-based on everything. That's what we used in our last house, and it held up beautifully--looked new when we moved out 13 years later. If I can find a good picture of the cabinets I'll post it.