Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itltrot_gw

Which white for trim/cabinets?

itltrot
10 years ago

We are remodeling our master bathroom and it's time to start painting some trim and doors but I am stuck on the whites.

All our trim and bedroom/bathroom/closet doors are SW Dover White. Most of the time I am fine with it. Sometimes its a bit creamy/yellow. But I've also been refreshing it as I've redone some of the rooms and that seems to help.

My biggest problem using Dover in the master bathroom is the white subway tiles for the shower. They are a bright pure white. They are from Build Direct and make Dover look really yellow.

I've been considering using SW Pure White for vanity and trim. Trim and tile will not be directly next to each other. It has almost zero natural light (1 small north window). But where do I stop the Pure White. Master bedroom will be getting some updates after the bathroom and trim will also be repainted in there.

Would the difference between Dover and white tiles be noticeable? The closest they would be is the backsplash and vanity.

Other elements are walnut wood look tiles and chrome fixtures. Countertop and accent tile are not finalized yet.

I forgot to take a picture of the tile and Dover painted trim to post.

Comments (5)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think you'll have more luck with the Dover White if the room is north facing and gets little natural light. Others can correct me, but I think north facing, dark rooms do better with a yellow undertone white paint than a blue, which is cool and might look drab in a darker room.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

You might want to also try BM White Dove, which is a BM 2014 Paint of the Year (white) and painters and decorators love it because everything goes with it, or at least that's what they say. All of the trim and windows and the painted ceilings in my house are done with White Dove, at the ceiling painter's recommendation (I did the rest myself. Ugh!). It does work in all of the rooms. I was surprised to learn it's got green undertones because I've NEVER seen it in any light. It's a soft white. Maybe hold a chip up next to the subway tile.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i am trying to choose trim color now too... our remodeler prefers to use SW ... i am trying to avoid yellowish whites-- our bathroom will be a greige and bedroom quietude (i believe) ... i am considering panda white, marshmallow, creamy, and white duck... i found online someone saying SW alabaster is very similar to BM white dove, but it almost seems to have a too green undertone to me... ? the whites really vary with the light-- i want to do 1 trim color for master bed and bath, and have both north and south windows, so want a warm off white with very little yellow or pink/orange cast...
    SW considers snowbound a cool white, but it seems to have very little cool color to it, but it's a brighter white than i want...(i think!)
    ugh! :)

• lsst
    10 years ago

SW Extra White works well for trim.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Consider the colors you will use in the room when choosing whites.