Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How To Paint Metal Ceiling Tile?

Posted by xantippe (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 12:30

The previous owners of our house built a TV niche above the fireplace. The niche is covered with a section of framed metal ceiling tile that looks a lot like this:

Lowes Page With Ceiling Tile

It's a great idea, and but I am not a fan of the silver color, since all of my lamps, fireplace accessories, and light fixtures are ORB in color. So I would love to figure out how to paint the ceiling tile panel a distressed, rustic cream, kind of like this:

White Distressed Frame

But I have no idea how to get started, since I've never painted anything metal before. So I'm hoping that some of you have suggestions about which paint(s) and method(s) to use.

Thank you so much for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How To Paint Metal Ceiling Tile?

Is it actual metal, and not the plastic replicas that are so prevalent?

This will work for metal or plastic.

Use TSP to clean it, rinse, and paint with a alkyd based bonding primer. A~ heavy nap roller might be easier than a brush, but either will be a bit of a pain to be sure that you get into all of the texture. Then paint with an eggshell paint in white and allow to cure. Lightly sand down to the bare metal with a sanding block to be sure you're only hitting the high spots. (If it's plastic, this will be VERY tricky as you can sand all the way through to the plastic under the metal top coat very easily.) Mix a very light glaze and go over the whole thing, then wipe well. That antiques it to a more believable look rather than a "faux distressed" look. Then clear coast with a water based acrylic.

o
RE: How To Paint Metal Ceiling Tile?

Thank you, GreenDesigns. Yup, it is actual metal. The glaze is great advice, and thanks for specifying what type of primer!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here