Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zen4d

Hiring an Interior Designer - how? process? costs? what to expect

zen4d
10 years ago

How do I select one? What if I don't like the design they submit? How to I calculate cost?

This post was edited by zen4d on Sun, May 11, 14 at 4:20

Comments (6)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Why don't you post a few pictures here? We have a few professionals that are very knowledgeable, and several amateurs, all with a keen insight into decorating. Good taste also needs to be a consideration, and there's a lot of that here too. Give us a chance to help you save a little money so you're able to take a mini vacation when the decorating is finished. ;)

• sas95
    10 years ago

I live not far from you (Westchester County) and although I interviewed a number of interior designers when I moved into our home a few years ago, I could not find one that both 1) shared my aesthetic AND 2) was somewhat sensitive to price considerations. I had a decent-sized budget, but I also believe that the more affluent the area in which you live the more some service providers make judgments about what you can and should be paying.

I am also bad with scale, and was quite fearful of picking the wrong sized things. I ended up having a designer/salesperson from a furniture store come to my house, measure and lay out some room plans for me. The service was free, and although of course they hope that you will buy all of your furniture from them, there is no obligation. I did buy quite a bit from them, but I also bought plenty from others. I didn't love everything they suggested, but it was helpful to the extent that once I saw the room plans, I knew at least what size coffee table, chairs, etc. I should be looking for.

It's probably not as effective as getting a good interior designer, but it's definitely better than flying blind. If you go that route, my advice is to talk to furniture stores that carry a number of different furniture brands (Safavieh in Stamford and Connecticut Design Center in Norwalk come to mind in Fairfield County), rather than a store that only carries its own line. I think that way the result will look more collected and less like a furniture showroom. I used Stickley Audi in White Plains and was satisfied. Some stores offer the service for free, and others charge a few hundred dollars that will usually be applied as a credit against furniture purchases.

• zen4d
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patty Cakes - I have done that in the past and it worked well for one room at a time. I think I will take your advice and try again. Thanks.

Sas95 - Great advice. Thanks.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Here's a book I recently saw on the Joss & Main website. You may find it on Amazon or a local Barnes & Nobel. It may help with your decorating in a style you like rather than decorator choices. Often times an ID home looks staged when you want more of a cozy livable space. After all, *you* have to live in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: book

• zen4d
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kswl - practical advice. I would be upfront about budget of course, but don't even know where to begin to find someone. While I have friends with beautiful homes, they've decorated themselves.

patty cakes - I just read the reviews on Amazon of that book, some positive, some negative. Positive outweigh the negative; might give it a try. Thanks once again.