Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiki_thinking

1970s contemporary home help, websites blogs ideas?

kiki_thinking
11 years ago

T-11 or cedar siding placed on the diagonal, Casement windows tinted gray or brown, Cathedral ceilings with skylights and bug-eyed track lighting, Knee walls, tall tall walls with intercom systems, Parquet flooring, shag carpeting
Off white rice paper patterned (melamine?) Cabinets with oak trim, tile countertops, Oak trim and doors stained walnut brown. Interior stone planters.

I can find many blogs on remodeling the atomic rancher, or restoring mid century modern homes, but I can't seem to locate any sources for updating and remodeling homes of this particular type. Is it hopeless? What can I search for besides 70s contemporary?

The few updates to exteriors I have seen online generally involve painting or restaining the existing siding and planting some sort of a contorted evergreen in the front yard.

I would love to see examples where this style of house looks nice. Or has been updated inside or out in a way that doesn't look incongruous.
My mom in law also has this era of home and has spent a great deal of time and money decorating with colonial furniture, wallpaper and paint colors. It is something to see. Not really the direction I would like to go : )

Any keywords besides 70s contemporary? Blogs? Websites? Surely someone besides me owns this style of home and has made improvements?

Comments (13)

• awm03
    11 years ago

The link below may be close but not quite what you're looking for. Looking through the picture gallery, do you see any inspiration?

Here is a link that might be useful: Deck House Builders

• madeyna
    11 years ago

I don,t now how to help you find what your looking for but your post made me smile. But you might try houz maybe put in 70s retro homes. I grew up in a tiny out of in the middle of nowhere town that had its one and only housing boom in the seventys and its unreal how retro that place is when I go back to visit. The plantings are mostly lots of rodies and junipers ,basically everygreens and dark bark multch. The houses are painte earthtones. I would think if you like that look then just clean it up and freshen the whole place up with paint. Shag carpet thats got a little updated look to it and refinish the wood flooring if needed. Just making the whole place look well kept is the key to making any retro look work. My brothers wife tore everthing 70,s out of theirs and made it contenperary looking with sheetrock new lighting and new flooring. She replaced the outside flower beds to riverock and larger focal rocks and a few focal plants here and there.

• mjlb
    11 years ago

Quite an evocative description of the '70's.

What's the general shape of your home -- ranch, split-entry, split-level, 2-story?

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Have you tried houzz.com? If you join the site, you can save any ideas into your own ideabook for furure reference. You'll also receive emails when new pictures are posted to the site, maybe once a week.

I entered "contemporary interior remodels" and you could do the same for exteriors. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: houzz

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

This site at least gives you some representative houses to look at if you go through the different styles and photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Northcrest

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

Your description sounds very much like the home Lauren Leiss recently bought and is updating. Not sure if it will help you as she seems to gutting and redoing most of it. Scroll through her blog and see shots of the house. It might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lauren's blog

• leafy02
    11 years ago

I second the recommendation for Pure Style Home, Lauren Leiss' blog. Her last house and current house were both 70's style homes that other buyers might have overlooked in decorating despair. But she makes them look great.

• pirula
    11 years ago

And I third Lauren Leiss and her blog. I love what she's doing in her new house, which is very, very 70's. She's accentuating the good (and there is good) and minimizing the bad.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

WOW! I had never heard of this blog, but based on the 3 comments above, I checked out what she has done to her home. INCREDIBLE changes!

I've just started looking through it, and don't know if this home purchased in Sept. 2006 is the current one, but I've linked it below.

I'd like to know what these people said after they saw the changes. ''We were told by numerous family members (and even one of our realtors!) what a mistake it would be to buy this house.''

Here is a link that might be useful: Pure Style, my home

• pirula
    11 years ago

No, that's the first house. They just bought another a few months back and are currently renovating. They apparently sold the first house in a few days.

Enjoy!

• kiki_thinking
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Madelyna and olychic, then you know what im up against here!

Daisy, leafy, pirula (is that a type of cookie?) Thank you for suggesting the pure style home blog, it's exactly the sort of thing that I was asking about! I will spend some time this evening browsing through it and the site you posted Awm, and the northcrest site, thank you palimpsest.

Patty cakes, I have searched for 70s contemporary and 70s remodel on houzz, but had few hits, I'll follow your search suggestion and broaden my search a bit.

Mj lb, my house is a two story with a walk out basement (so effectively three stories from the back) with some lovely : / diagonal cedar siding on part of the front with a small, slightly inset front stoop.

I'm just flummoxed about where to go from here.

• mrhayes1
    9 years ago

Any updates on your house renovation project? We just purchased a 1970s "Contemporary" house (split level), and I am struggling with how to update it as well. I am very curious if you found any good resources.