Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Out with wallpaper, in with paint.

Posted by jerry_nj (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 12:16

We have changed two bedrooms from (still very usable) wallpaper to paint. Both are a restful light blue with white trim, the 2nd BR also saw the addition for simple crown molding (even this BR is large, 12' x 15', approximately).

The next target is the main bathroom, a 1980s vintage with moderate size, about 10' x 7'.

We had given some consideration to a light yellow, but are having a problem picking one we like on the wall. I have put up one sample on the wall behind the sink. Not what (she) we want.

I am thinking something more in the "cream", maybe with a touch of yellow. But, the idea, now popular, of buying a 4 oz sample can does get "old".... I'd welcome any advice on the general idea of color. There is some depression/anxiety issues as well, so the "mood" of the color is a consideration - thus our first consideration of yellow.

More on the bathroom, it has a east facing double hung window with a lot of morning light (after sunrise). When on the toilet one is looking at the door to a linen/towel/etc. closet which is a panel door and white semi gloss...as is the window trim and the access door. The tile surround on the tub/shower is a soft white, not a subway tile white, but white with some gentile texture to further soften the semi-gloss finish. The tub, toilet and counter top are white. So, any color will go with the current fixtures and tile, which I do not plan to replace.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Out with wallpaper, in with paint.

Yellow supposedly increases feelings of frustration and anger (if you go in for color psychology). Do you recall the name of the color you swatched in the room?

o
RE: Out with wallpaper, in with paint.

After trying about 50 yellows, we used Powell Buff by Benjamin Moore. In our setting it reads as a soft yellow. I have read that Monroe Bisque reads yellow on the wall too. Good luck with your project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here