Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homeagain_gw

Mini Kitchen Makeover - New paint and drapes

homeagain
12 years ago

To continue with my first floor makeover, I recently painted the kitchen BM Rockport gray. This is the same color I used in my family room last month.

The same day I completed painting, my daughter and I were at Marshall's and a set of placemats caught my eye. I continued looking and saw they had the same pattern in a tablecloth. I'm not a tablecloth person but picked one and and to my surprise it was 60x102. The exact length required for drapes in this room.

before...

after...

Comments (19)

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

Oh! I like both, but I what a difference! A refreshing change for you, I'm sure. I love the new drapes!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Those draperies are perfect! Nice find. Enjoy your new space!

• sameboat
    12 years ago

Oh how pretty! I like both as well. Are you serious? The drapes are tablecloths? Good idea and you'd never know it!! Just perfect.

• rrah
    12 years ago

homeagain--I've thought about using tablecloths to make draperies as it's a good source of a lot of fabric for a relatively low cost. I've never carried out the idea though for one reason. I've been worried that the pattern would not match from one tablecloth to the next. Did you find the stopping/starting points of the patterns matched? Did you line the drapes? They look very pretty.

• homeagain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all.

REFRESHING is exactly the right word! It feels clean and bright.

rrah,

That is a valid concern. These happen to have a fairly large pattern and since the windows are pretty big, the drapes aren't right next to each other. The pattern is off by 3-6 inches but I don't really notice.

I bought all they had at Marshall's and then went to TJ Maxx who had some too. I bought both the 102" and 116" sizes. I kept the ones that matched the best, which ended up being 2 102' and 2 116". The 116" I cut down to 102" and used the leftover to make a small valance for over the sink. The other leftover piece I am using for a throw pillow in the family room. They are not currently lined but I plan to do that in the next few days as I think they will hang better and keep the fabric from fading. And yes, the cost of one drape is what you would normally pay for a yard of fabric.

• Sujafr
    12 years ago

Your space was very pretty before, but so much more so now.

Do you mind sharing your paint color? That looks similar to what I'm hoping the color I recently picked for our MBR will look--but mine isn't painted yet. Mine is Devine Fog, but Devine is a regional brand I think, so I don't often see it posted anywhere.

And aren't you clever to use the tablecloths! Thanks for that tip!

• caminnc
    12 years ago

OMG, I can see the price of tablecloths going thru the roof now. How smart are you??? Looks divine, good job!

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

So pretty, both before and after!!!

• Bethpen
    12 years ago

Very good job thinking out of the box! I love the color.

Beth P

• SaraKat
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Love both the before and after. Great job.

@ sujafr ~the paint color is Benjamin Moore Rockport gray HC-105

• Sujafr
    12 years ago

SaraKat- thanks! somehow my mind glided right over that info!

• homeagain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Happy Easter! Thanks for all the nice comments.

SaraKat thanks for re-posting the info re paint.

I realized that you can't really see the fabric pattern in the drapes so here's a closeup if anyone is interested.

The background is an off-white and the pattern is beige, tan, soft green and aqua.

and a second showing how the pattern doesn't really line up from drape to drape....

• loribee
    12 years ago

Soooo pretty! Thanks for sharing!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Oooh-even prettier up close. You really are brilliant and the room looks smashing!

• hhireno
    12 years ago

My sister just told me that her drapery person buys ecru colored sheets at Walmart to use for linings. It's a cheap way to get a lot of fabric.

Yours look wonderful.

I had a similar idea recently when I stumbled upon a beautiful paisley tablecloth at TJMaxx. Then I realized: 1) I can't sew and I had no idea if it was possible to do and 2) they wouldn't look right with the rug I had just purchased for that room.

Now that I know it's possible, I think I'll buy them and find another room that could use paisley drape panels.

• nhb22
    12 years ago

Very pretty kitchen. One of my "Favorites"!

As others have said, I like both versions. The new drapery adds just a bit more coziness. Reminds me of my grandmothers kitchen form many years ago. Fun to see draperies and floral patterns coming back in.

• teacats
    12 years ago

Very charming kitchen -- GREAT transformation! :)

LOVE the idea of using tablecloths for curtains -- brillant! :)

• Sujafr
    12 years ago

Thanks for the close up. The funny thing to me about this is that I'm not a floral drape person, but I think these really look beautiful. And I don't buy floral tablecloths to use as tablecloths, so I would have just looked right past those at the store. Guess I need to expand my thinking!

• decordummy_gw
    12 years ago

The fabric and paint colour are both lovely, and the kitchen (& DR) are gorgeous!