Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracyb973_gw

I need Help chosing paint colors

tracyb973
10 years ago

We are purchasing this home and I need help picking paint colors for the open floor plan. Wallpaper in foyer is coming down. foyer is two story north facing with a foyer ledge, (that i aslo need help decorating.) The dining room is to the right and formal living room to the left. (Soon to be a game room (I love BM Mayflower Red for the game room) I want the rooms to flow nice. Kitchen and family room also need paint. Looking for help with foyer, dining room Kitchen (I need to work with mauve toned tiles and backspash for now.) and family room. any help would be great! (Foyer floor also getting chaned to hardwood to match dining room) I cannot figure out how to post more than one image either. Sorry first time doing this.

Comments (37)

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

photo of foyer looking into dining room

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

stairwell

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dining room looking into kitchen

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

backspash

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kitchen cabinet color

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Foyer ledge. Was thinking about a warm golden yellow for foyer but then im not sure what to paint dining room for a nice flow. what if I did mayflower red on top and white wainscoting on bottom for dining room. Is it ok to paint both the game room and dining room the same color?

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

looking into formal living room (going to be a game room)

• Wolfpackmom
    10 years ago

I had searched for months for a golden yellow for my 2 story foyer - after purchasing many many samples I thought were it, I finally gave up looking for the perfect golden yellow. I went with BM Shaker Beige and I absolutely love it.

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your the info. I have looked at shaker beige but thought it would be too dark in the north facing foyer. Do you have any pictures of your finished foyer?

• Wolfpackmom
    10 years ago

I haven't taken any photos of it and today is cloudy so I wouldn't get a good photo right now. When I was asking about it - I was told it was like a light milk chocolate milkshake, or a cup of coffee with heavy cream. It really does look like both of those. It is a medium tone beige. At my BM store - than salesman told me it was a very popular color. I hope this link shows up - this color is a perfect match for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz website - BM Shaker Beige[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/seeley-living-room-a-traditional-living-room-chicago-phvw-vp~214101)

• randita
    10 years ago

I was going to suggest something like SW Blonde because it looks great with red, but not so sure it would blend with the mauve.

Take a look at SW Relaxed Khaki, a nice neutral for open spaces. I'd call it kind of a "greige". It would look good with the red and also be fine with the mauve.

The color consultant at my local SW store told me she has Relaxed Khaki as the main color in her home and recommends it often to customers who are looking for a shade that goes with everything.

A friend of mine has a red dining room (BM Raspberry Truffle) with white wainscoting. It's beautiful.

• cms_az
    10 years ago

I painted my home in the open area in BM Grant Beige and I love the color.

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input...cant wait to get in the house to start posting color samples. I love grant beige, but would also like a variety of color without looking like a box of crayons. (if you know what i mean.) someone told me to go with a foyer color and work from there...but all the foyer colors I love are golden and I am not sure my dining room furniture (resoration hardware) work with golden yellow) my current home the dining room is in the back off the kitchen. But I do love Grant Beige. Looking at the Relaxed Khaki now. I do better looking at photos : ) THANKS every one for helping and coming on this journey with me!

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG! love relaxed Khaki with my RH dining room furniture. But not sure how it will look with golden foyer. and red game room to the left. I dont want it to look crazy. I feel like I am going mad...all I think about is color. LOL!

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOVING SW Blond too and good news!!! may be ripping out kitchen Mauve sooner than later so any suggestions with cabinet color would be great!!! also in need of a good color combo for kitchen into family room...(game room will be visabale from these rooms also (I love mayflower red) but am open to ALL suggestions! Thank you Thank you!!! for the help...I feel so overwhelmed!!!

• Wolfpackmom
    10 years ago

Be careful painting any room that has pink undertones next to a room that is red/mauve - the color that has the pink undertones will work off of those colors and your room will look pink

• Wolfpackmom
    10 years ago

whatever colors you are sampling - please please don't just paint poster board, you have to paint the wall too..just a small patch in an area or two
    BM Soft Fern was a beautiful green/gray on poster board on my walls, when I painted the actual wall, it was a blue green and that would have been a disaster.

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Room that I want to paint red is not open concept off family room...there is a french door. It is howerever open to foyer. What I plan on doing is taking down the wall between formal living room and a small study and making one larger room with pool table and bar area. I am going to keep the door.will try to find pics.

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the room open to foyer

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the view from kitchen with mauve looking tile) looking into family room you can door leading into soon go be game room. Will this be far enough away from the red?

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have seen some people on here photoshop photos for people, If any one could help with paint colors I would appreciate. I tired color view fromBM but Its not working. SO Confused

• randita
    10 years ago

I'm have a hard time getting a perspective of the flow of the rooms.

Are you stuck on a golden tone for your foyer, or would you be open to Relaxed Khaki?

If you are really set on the golden tone for the foyer and plan to redo the mauve in the kitchen soon, then just go ahead and paint the foyer, family room, and kitchen in the golden color. Then just live with that until you redo the mauve, which you say will be soon. Or just plan on painting the kitchen in the golden color after the mauve is gone. You'll probably have to do touch ups anyhow after that's redone.

As a start, just pick a color that you REALLY love. I have two of those (SW Whole Wheat and SW Comfort Gray) and fortunately, they go together really well, so they are my main house colors.

But if you have just one color that you love, start with that and see what goes well with it. I.e., with Blonde, I like SW Grassland, Svelte Sage, Softened Green or Clary Sage. I have also seen Blonde with a deep red color like SW Stolen Kiss and it's a lovely blend.

Also take a look at SW Ivoire (one shade lighter than Blonde). It's a great warm neutral shade, esp. for darker spaces. Using lighter or darker shades from the same paint strip helps with flow.

If this is a DIY project, can you paint one room at a time and live with it for a bit? If you're sure about the red game room, go ahead and do that. If you're sure about the golden foyer, go ahead and do that.

I know it's much easier to paint walls without furniture in the rooms, but until you live there, it's so hard to tell what you might be happy with.

Go with the colors YOU love and they'll work.

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Randita. I wanted a golden color to brighten foyer but i am open to other suggestions. you walk into two story foyer. Dining room is to the right formal living (in my case game room) to your left. walk straight you walk into family room walk through dining room you walk into kitchen. I am hoping to close within a week or so ...Hopefully will b able to post some color samples. And more photos. Thanks for all your help! Was thinking of going with the affinity colors so I dont mess it up...we are having it painted before we move in so I dont have time to live with it like i would like. My DH wants things complete, unlike myself he doesnt like projects. : )

• randita
    10 years ago

To brighten up a two story foyer, I think I would like SW Ivoire (you can find a similar BM color or have it matched) rather than Blonde. I had Ivoire in the foyer and living room of my previous home and really enjoyed it. To me, it looked like the soft glow of a candle.

If you carried the Ivoire into your family room and kitchen, I don't think you would be disappointed. Or use the darker shade on the same strip (Blonde) in the family room and kitchen. So those three areas would flow.

Since the game room and dining room don't flow into each other, I think you could use contrasting colors for them. Red for the game room as you suggested, maybe something in the green family for the dining room.

I actually like the green that's in the dining room now, minus the wallpaper. Maybe a slightly darker shade of green with white wainscoting would look nice. It's okay to go dark and dramatic in a formal dining room. Ask at BM what are the popular green shades for a dining room and see if any of them grab you.

I know it's really hard to decide and visualize how it will look.

Here is a link with photos of Ivoire and Blonde.

http://www.amandacarolathome.com/2009/06/paint-party.html

• kokkai
    10 years ago

I love the Wolfpackmom's idea

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz website - BM Shaker Beige[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/wolfram-foyer-traditional-staircase-chicago-phvw-vp~217825)

• 2bedhomewares
    10 years ago

Pink or light green is suitable for painting.

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do like the images of Ivorie also. I will have to see how they will all look when I get some samples on the wall. What do you think of a dark peacock color for dining room? on top with white wainscoting on bottm? or a lighter teal blue?

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I painted my dark foyer BM Lighthouse Landing...a soft tan/gold. The kitchen is further down the same strip---Deer Path as is one wall in the LR. The other walls in my downstairs are all on the same strip as London Fog--gray. I love all the colors and how they work together.

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you joaniepoanie. Going to go look those colors up now.

• randita
    10 years ago

I like the idea of a dark teal blue for the dining room. I love blue/green shades.

Take a look at SW Halcyon Blue. I love that color.

SW Halcyon Green

• randita
    10 years ago

Just took another look at my SW fan. There are a couple of other teals you might be attracted to for your dining room. They're on strips 32 and 33 - Moody Blue and Refuge or the two shades lighter than those two on the same strip.

Not sure what the corresponding BM colors are, but I'm sure BM has ones that are very similar.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I think teal in the DR would be very pretty, but I would flip flop it and put it on the bottom, with white/ivory/tan at the top. May just be me, but when a dark color is on top and light on the bottom I think it makes the room look top-heavy because the contrast is too great.

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

O.K. Trying to get this narrowed down. I am thinking of going with SW Macadamia in the foyer, Mayflower red in the game room to left of foyer and I love a teal color for dining room. I am loving Halcyon and MoodyBlue(Thanks Randita). I know I still have to try them out in the actual room but wanted your opinions Will these colors work together? Still need paint colors for kitchen an family room too. I looked at the Lighthouse landing and Deerpath and love them too. What a girl to do??? LOL! Thanks for all the help!

• randita
    10 years ago

IMO, I think the colors you mentioned will go well together.

Rather than introducing new colors for the family room and kitchen, maybe a lighter or darker shade on the Macadamia strip would work for you.

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you randita. Will post samples when I get in the house. Closing tues or wed (hopefully)

• tracyb973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wall paper and foyer floor are getting removed today!!! YAY

• momto3kiddos
    10 years ago

For the dining room, try martha Stewart plumage. I tried sw slate teal and it was way too bright. The plumage is perfect and would go with warm or cool neutrals in adjacent rooms.